Chapter Eight

I waved Lane off from my roof, turning and quickly shoving the window open and stepping in, only to slip on some papers still sitting on my desk and taking a rather painful tumble to the floor. "Dammit."

The sound of quick approaching footsteps has my heart jolting in panic as I rush across the room to my bed, only just lifting the blanket before I hear a swift click of my lock and the door swings open to reveal my little brother giving me his best shit-eating grin.

"I wonder what mom will say when I tell her that her grounded daughter snuck out to do god knows what unholy acts," The brat says slowly, cocking his hip to the side sassily.

I narrow my eyes dangerously at him, "Keep your mouth shut, brat."

"Or what? I don't think you want to risk being grounded even longer. Do you?" He asks a little too innocently.

I sigh in defeat at that, "Keep quiet and I'll take you out for ice-cream for lunch today."

"And I want fifty bucks."

"Ice-cream, twenty bucks, and I won't tell mom about the magazine you have shoved under your mattress," I bargain stiffly.

His eyes widen in fear just as our mother appears behind him, "Oh, good. You're up, Theresa. I need to head out early, so I'll need you to make breakfast for you and Liam. You're not to leave the house unless it's an emergency, and I'll see you both when I get home at six."

She quickly kisses the top of Liam's head, before disappearing down the stairs. Dad probably already left and would be back around the same time as mom, so that gives me a good ten hours of peace and somewhat quiet. This grounding might not be entirely unbearable if my mother is kept out of the house for most of it.

"Here's the deal," I start, turning to Liam. "Go get yourself cereal, the password on mom's laptop is 'TheCarsons4'. Entertain yourself until eleven, and then come wake me up. If you wake me up any sooner I won't buy ice-cream and I'm showing mom the magazine."

He nods and is out of my room in the blink of an eye and I'm already falling into my bed and closing my eyes, some how still feeling exhausted after sleeping for so long at Lane's. Speaking of, I never realized how much he paid attention to me before, let alone how much I'd been worrying him. I guess I have been acting rather odd lately, but I figured he'd chalk it up to be because of my aunt. Perhaps I underestimated him, we have been best friends for years now.

When Liam finally comes to wake me, I creak my eyes open tiredly, groaning because I'd been stuck in a void of endless thoughts and worries that refused to let me fall asleep. Seeing that it was already almost eleven-thirty, I drag my half-dead body out of bed and over to my closet to grab clothes before going for a shower.

I tell Liam to go get dressed himself and to wait down in the livingroom for me, but once I'm in the bathroom I catch myself lingering in front of the mirror. My eyes narrow judgingly as I slowly let my garments drop. The bitterness hits me like a truck as I am forced to face reality. In other words; the femininity I'm forced to live with. I don't just mean what I lack between my legs, or what I have too much of upon my chest, but the structure of my entire being.

No matter how hard I try, I still have a daintiness about me because of my long arms and legs, not only being thin, but graceful in shape. My hands; small with long, elegant fingers like my mother. My face is oval, my jaw line kind of more define than most girls, but still too soft to look masculine. My eyebrows that my mother always insists I keep carefully plucked when I honestly could  care less when my natural brows aren't all that bushy to begin with.