Chapter Four

.*Rick above*

The shrill sound of the whistle makes us all halt as coach orders us to put away the equipment and hit the showers. I quickly jog over to Lane, who happily throws a sweaty arm around my shoulders, messing up my hair.

"You were on fire out there," He chuckles at me when I scowl at him. "A little stressed are we?"

"You could say that," I mumble, shoving the ball in my hand on the cart.

Lane opens his mouth to say something, but gets cut off by coach calling him over. He passes me a quick apologetic glare before holding up a finger for me to wait as he runs over to coach. I just return to taking basket balls from students and arranging them on the rack. That is, until Reed steps up, a little flushed from the work out and a wide grin on his face.

"You're really good! I don't think I've ever seen a girl play like that... kind of intimidating," he laughs, handing me the ball.

I don't know whether to feel offended that once again my skill is a shock because of my sex, or pleased that he found me intimidating on the court. I decide to just shrug it off entirely as I throw him a small smirk, "Yeah, I tend to hold back so that I don't hurt the guys' ego's."

"Smart, pretty, and cocky? My, your boyfriends are in for a wild ride with you, huh?" He shakes his head, laughing lightly. "I uhm... call me crazy but you remind me of this guy I met a few days ago. You kind of look alike, no offense, maybe he's a relative? Do you know a Theo?"

My stomach sinks at that as I nibble my lip, turning away as I pretend to think about it, "Uhm... no, why?"

He looks bothered for a moment before his expression turns neutral and he just shrugs, "I only really saw him in person once, so I could just be imagining the likeness. I just... he stopped talking to me randomly and--it's nothing really, I don't know why I'm bothering you with it."

I offer him a small smile, guilt pooling in my stomach, "I'm sure whatever is keeping him away, it's not your fault."

"Yeah," He mumbles, not sounding like he really believes me. "Hey, I got to go meet up with someone, but we should hang out some time."

I nod, feeling light and happy that again, Reed seems to want to spend time together, but as soon as he's gone the dread hits me. If we keep spending time together, he might really see the similarities between Theresa and Theo and what if one day he sees me looking more Theo-ish and finds out and gets mad? What if he tells people what I did? What would people say? What if word got to my parents or anyone at the church? I'd never hear the end of it.

With a quiet groan, I drag myself off to the showers, realizing that if I waited any longer for Lane, I'd end up late and I honestly didn't need a detention on top of everything else.

Back in the change room, I waited until there were less people before hitting the showers, I ignore the mirrors I walk by before I strip off my bra and underwear and step into the curtained off stall. Under the water I sigh contently as the sweat is washed away and the steam heats up the air around me. I try to distract my thoughts as I wash up, trying not to focus on how much I hated the feel of my own body. I hated that my chest  wasn't flat, and my smooth feminine skin, and when I reached lower-

I shake my head with a sad sigh, quickly finishing washing up before shutting the water off and wrapping a towel around myself and walking back out into the change room. There, I notice Lane's ex-girlfriend Noelle and her little group of friends giggling about something before falling silent as I walk by. My eyes narrow at them slightly, almost suspiciously. I really hate that bitch for what she put Lane through, he's never done anything to her except be loyal and caring. If I knew she would fight fair, I'd deck her, but all her friends would be on me in seconds.