Chapter Two

*Reed above*

Sifting through the rows and rows of clothes I don't want is the most boring task I've ever been presented with. Seriously, I don't know what my mom expects of me. Telling me to go ahead and pick out whatever I want, but only if what I want is technically what she wants.

"Theresa, look at this one!" My mother says with a bright smile, pulling out a white blouse-like shirt.

I resist crinkling my nose at the frilly looking thing and shrug, "Maybe."

I can hear her sigh, seeing as we've been at this for an hour already and have hardly found anything we agree on. Eventually I know she's going to get sick of my stubbornness and just pick whatever she finds suitable. Just as I'm flicking through a row of sweaters that all have stupid designs or are too tight, or have sparkles all over them, I notice a simple black shirt that must have been discarded on the wrong rack. It's just a simple, flat black, crew-neck, but I love it.

Deciding to test my luck, I put it among some other sweatshirts and call my mother over. As she comes over, looking excited, I pull the shirt out and look up at her hopefully, "Theresa, I don't think that belongs over here."

"I like it though. What's wrong with it?" I say, knowing she won't want to make a scene in a store, and hoping I can win this battle just once.

"Theresa... what's wrong with the stuff I've pointed out?" She asks in frustration.

"I just don't like them, mom. They look uncomfortable and you know I hate dressing all girly. Please? Let me pick out one outfit I want and you can pick out whatever the hell else. Just let me pick one," I beg, feeling pathetic that I have to resort to begging just to wear what I want.

She shakes her head in frustration as she stomps past me, grabbing the shirt, "You can have the shirt, but that's it. Go sit on the bench outside the store. I'll be out soon."

I sigh, but feel slightly happy that she at least caved for the shirt. As I drop down on the bench outside, adjusting my bra that's digging into my ribs uncomfortably-Who ever invented them is the devil incarnate, I swear it- my phone buzzed in my back pocket.

Pulling my phone out I see a text from Reed. We'd been texting back and forth a little since meeting a week ago. I haven't had a chance to meet up with him to explain everything, and now that so much time has passed, I was beginning to chicken out. What if it's too late to right myself? I've let him believe I'm a boy for a week now, and to suddenly be like 'haha hey! I'm actually a girl.' feels like a major dick move.

Reed: Have you seen the trailer for the new fallout game?

Theo: No, does it look good?

Reed: Good? Good!? Boy, I think I came in my pants it was so sexy.

I laugh at his ridiculousness, biting my lip. He's always like this, random and shameless in the things he says.

Theo: Damn. I'll have to check that out when I'm home.

Reed: Where are you? o:

Theo: The mall. Went school shopping xp

Reed: Cool. Hey, do you feel like shooting hoops tonight?

Theo: Not sure. I'll have to see if I can go out, my mom seems kind of pissy today.

Reed: Ugh, moms -.-

I see my mom coming out of the store, and quickly stand, seeing as she still looks ready to snap at me for once again being the failure daughter who can't even manage a simple shopping trip with her own mother.