Chapter 16.

Chapter 16.

On their day off, with only five days left before Zhan's transfer, the two of them went off and got married. A rather unromantic way of writing together, but from now on they were considered as married. And after that, they celebrated a little with their friends. Zhan's father and Yibo's mother were also there.

The two decided that when the storm had passed and they had solved their problems, the transfer and He Peng, they would get married again and celebrate with everyone.

However, Zhan's father had a special wedding present for the two of them. "I managed to get a little more time for the two of you from the headquarters in Shanghai. Zhan now has three more months to catch He Peng. Besides, they'll go after it personally and check out our prosecutor's office." Explained Zhan's father.

Yibo was so happy when he heard this that he took his father-in-law in his arms, pressed him firmly and thanked him. "Thank you father, you don't know what this means to me." Said Yibo and pressed his father-in-law so tightly that he had trouble to breathe.

"I know three months isn't much. But maybe we can find something in that time to put He Peng behind bars. And if we find any evidence, we better pass it on to Shanghai. At least that's what Headquarters demands since they also assume that our prosecution is financed by others." Said Zhan's father.

Yibo's mother got up from her chair and hit the table with her hand. "Did you say He Peng?" She asked Zhan's father. He nodded and looked at her confused.

"This He Peng has a little brother. What's his name, I think it's Jay or something. And he works as a personal assistant for Yibo's big brother." She explained almost screaming.

Everyone turned their eyes to her and expected her to say more, because she looked as if she had much more to tell.

"Jay has been working as a personal assistant to Hai Kuan for two years. Sometimes Hai Kuan brought him along when he came to visit me. And that's when I started talking to Jay, too. And he once told me that he hated his family because they were all criminals. I guess he turned his back on his family right after he graduated. Jay said he is scared of his own family. They were all murderers." She explained.

"So this means Jay could be the key to finally taking down not only He Peng, but the rest of his family." Zhan's father replied.

"Yeah, well, you heard that he's scared of his family. And that he has cut off contact with them. So the question is, to what extent he can help us now. And if he even wants to help us at all?" Gave Zhan something to think about.

"We should definitely try Zhan. We can at least try to talk to him. We don't have any other options right now anyway. Or do you think He Peng will suddenly start making mistakes so that we can arrest him?" Asked Yibo.

There was something Zhan had never said to anyone before. It was rather an idea that came to him shortly after he survived his last mission because of He Peng. He wondered, what will He Peng do when he learns that Zhan will be transferred?

Could He Peng live with Zhan being somewhere else where he has no chance to get close to him? Again and again in irregular intervals He Peng appeared in the life of Zhan and again and again He Peng wanted Zhan to join him, to finally accept him.

Zhan also knows that He Peng always has an eye on Zhan. That's why he and Yibo didn't often go out in public together and only a few know about the relationship, or now marriage.

What if Zhan gets the opportunity to tell He Peng personally that they want to transfer him because of He Peng? He asked himself this question over and over again. The problem is that He Peng hasn't shown up until now and it's unclear what he will do if he meets Zhan in person.

All the time he was thinking about how he could get this information to He Peng without meeting him personally. But he couldn't think of anything else. And he would like to tell He Peng about it himself and look him in the face.

He would love to see the look on his face when He Peng finds out that his favorite federal agent is being transferred because of him.

"We could ask Jay how to contact He Peng. And then we can get him the information that I'm being transferred because of him. Maybe he'll come climbing out of his hole." Said Zhan, when all the others were silently thinking about how to catch He Peng.

"So you're counting on his feelings for you, aren't you?" Asked Zhan's father.

"You can't do that. This man seems crazy. What if he kills you?" Asked Yibo's mother.

"Mother, he recently had the chance to kill Zhan. But instead he killed one of his own men to protect Zhan. He let him and his colleagues go, even though they were trapped." Explained to her Yibo, knowing very well that he is not allowed to give out this information.

Yibo knows it doesn't matter what he tells his mother. If someone asked her, she wouldn't tell. If there was something she didn't want to talk about, nobody could get it out of her.

This stubbornness is one of the things he inherited from his mother. It was the same with Yibo. If there was something he didn't want to talk about, no one could get it out of him.

"The idea itself is not a bad one. However, I have considered. Since this is about my husband, who the crazy He Peng is after, I can't just agree. What if he kidnaps Zhan as soon as he finds out about the transfer? What if he starts a war against those who want to drag Zhan away from here?" Gave Yibo something to think about.

Of course Yibo could understand that this could be a good way to attract He Peng. But at the same time he knew it would put his Zhan in danger. Nobody knows exactly what He Peng is really capable of and what he would do if he learned that Zhan should be transferred.

The risk for Zhan could not be estimated in advance. No matter what He Peng feels for Zhan. Nobody knows what will happen when He Peng realizes that he will lose Zhan.

And Yibo is not willing to allow Zhan to expose himself to a risk where the possible outcome has so many variables. Variables that they can't evaluate or calculate now because He Peng himself is incalculable!

 Variables that they can't evaluate or calculate now because He Peng himself is incalculable!

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.