Chapter 15.

Chapter 15.

Zhan couldn't believe his ears and asked, "Did you propose just now?"

"That's so, yes." Replies Yibo and tilts his head, waiting for an answer to his question.

"Isn't it a little too early?" Zhan wanted to know. Yibo shook his head and grabbed both hands of Zhan.

"You know how much I love you. It doesn't matter to me how long we're together. It doesn't matter if we've been together for a week, a year or ten years, I just know that my attitude and my love for you will always be the same. So why should I wait to marry the man I love, who I'm sure he loves me as much as I love him?" Yibo asked his Zhan.

For a brief moment, the blink of an eye, Zhan thought about the words of Yibo. Zhan could also imagine spending the rest of his life with Yibo at his side. Zhan had no doubts about that. He loves Yibo and that in a way, in a intensity for which he still searches for words.

"Okay, sure. Let's get married." Zhan finally said and a moment later was knocked down by Yibo who fell around his neck for joy and kissed him.

A little later they were both lying on the sofa and Yibo remembered something he had wanted to ask Zhan for a while. "Why did you become a federal agent?" He wanted to know from Zhan.

"Oh, it's a long story. But I can try to keep it short." Zhan replied and Yibo nodded.

"Actually, this goes back to around 1898. That's where it all started. One of my forefathers was one of those people who followed the call of gold at Klondike. He took four of his five sons and left his wife and his five-year-old youngest son at home."

"To get the money for the long journey and the equipment and a claim, he borrowed money from the bank and sold everything except his house

"To get the money for the long journey and the equipment and a claim, he borrowed money from the bank and sold everything except his house. So he set off with his four sons, the oldest was fourteen years old, the youngest ten. They managed to survive the perilous journey. He bought a claim and began his work. After about three weeks of hard work, he found his first gold nugget. He was among the fortunate few."

"Day by day he and his sons scooped the gold from his claim and sold it to gold dealers

"Day by day he and his sons scooped the gold from his claim and sold it to gold dealers. Soon he was able to pay his credit and still had enough money left to send money to his wife, as well as some jewelry he bought for her. His wife was a shy and very submissive woman. She did not care about wealth and did not want to show it off. But because she was proud of her husband, she started to wear the jewelry he bought her.

"In the beginning, when her friends, neighbors and the people of the city saw her like this with all the expensive jewelry, they tried to get closer to her. They also hoped to get a piece of the pie. They gave her rare fruits and vegetables as gifts to make her feel at ease. Treating her courteously everywhere and pretending to be her friends. She was suspicious and knew why people were suddenly like that to her, because before that they had always ignored her. But she was also happy for the attention she was getting. "

"But soon the people of the city were frustrated. Because she neither told them where her husband's claim was, nor did she give them any of it. They began to insult her, denied her access to shops, stole her cattle from the farm and from the barn. But that was not enough for them. They began to physically attack her. And one stormy night, they decided to kill her. They broke into her house."

"Her youngest son hid in the attic of the house and watched everything through a hole in the wooden floor he was lying on. They dragged her by the hair through the house, ripped the jewelry off her body. Cut off her hair and beat her with fists and a bat. Three men of the city fell upon her while their wives stood beside them laughing."

"And when it was finally enough for them, one of the men bashed her skull in. No one noticed the boy in the attic, they had not even thought of him. Happy about their outrage, they left the body in the house and acted as if nothing had happened. Only a few wondered why the woman no longer came to the town. Why no one saw her, but no one went to see her."

"Then about three weeks after the murder, her husband returned with his four sons. He opened the front door and a horrible smell came over them. And although his wife's body was already rotting, which was slowing down because it was very cold and no one in the house was heating, he could see what they had done to her. In panic he searched for his youngest son and found him dying in the attic. There was nothing more that could be done for the boy."

"The boy had told his father what happened and then died in his father's arms. The man went to the sheriff in the town and wanted his help, but the man hated foreigners and just laughed. Nobody wanted to help him. So he did this. After burying his wife and son, he went to the city capital with his four sons. He used half of his money and hired some mercenaries. He told them the names of those who caused the death of his wife and finally his son and wanted them dead."

"The other half of the money, he put into the educations of his sons. Trained as federal agents. And their sons followed in their fathers' footsteps and became federal agents as well. And so it went on and on. Even when some of the forefathers came back to China, they followed the tradition. So did my father and so did I. And that's why I became a federal agent. It's tradition and I love my job. Oh, yeah, and the mercenaries back then wiped out the culprits and everyone else who knew about it. They lit a fire, and the whole town burned down and with them, over a half of the population." Explained Zhan.

Yibo had listened intently and noted, "So his revenge had been to atone for the crimes committed against his wife and in the end his son. And then to train his sons to prevent others from doing the same."

Zhan nodded. He had heard this story from his grandfather when he was five years old and he knew that he too wanted to become a federal agent later and keep law and order.

 He had heard this story from his grandfather when he was five years old and he knew that he too wanted to become a federal agent later and keep law and order