Seventy-Four

Damon

I hang up the phone and look over to Liz. "Everything okay?" She asks. She has a worried look on her face. I bet she heard parts of my conversation with Abby.

"No," I say, "that was Abby... She had to go to the hospital about that hole in her heart. It turns out it is even bigger than before." Liz looks worried. "That is not good," she says.

I know she cares about Abby, just like she cares about Elena and Jeremy. So I see how this bad news hits her aswell.

I decide to put all my cards on the table. "But here's the crazy part: Abby drank vampire blood," I tell Liz. I decide to hold onto the card about me being a vampire. I sure hope I will never have to put that one on the table.

Liz looks shocked. "Abby knows about vampires?" She asks. I shake my head, "she doesn't. I was scared about that hole in her heart, so I gave her something."

Liz looks confused, "how do you have vampire blood?" "I took some when I killed a vampire, just for safety," I tell her, "but that blood didn't work on Abby."

"How is that possible? I thought vampire blood could heal everything?" Liz asks. I nod, "so did I."

A few beats later, Liz stands up. "I will discuss this with my team. You should go home and see Abby," she says. I nod and stand up. "Keep me updated," I tell her.

Liz nods and smiles at me. "Don't worry about it that much, okay?" She asks. I smile and walk out of her office. I get in my car and call Stefan. I sure hope he knows more about this...

I call Stefan and start my car. I drive away from the police station while I wait for Stefan to pick up his damn phone.

After a few seconds, Stefan answers. "Hello brother," he says. "Stef, drop everything right now, this is important," I say.

"Kind of hard, Damon, I am driving," he says with a small laugh. "What's going on, Damon?" Elena asks. I feel a small hint of disappointment when I hear her voice.

"Did you hear from Abby?" I ask them. "No, but we are on our way home now," Elena says. "Okay, then I will inform you with the latest news," I say, "Abby is doing worse than we thought."

I don't hear anything from them, so I check if they may hung up already, but they haven't.

"What do you mean?" Stefan asks. "Well she took some vampire blood, but it turns out that didn't work," I tell them. They stay quiet for a moment. I swear I can literally hear their brains crack.

"Stef? Are you still there?" I ask. "I am, but how is this possible? The blood should have healed her," he says. "I know, but how didn't it? Our blood heals everything!"

I try not to freak out completely. "Damon," Stefan says, "I know one thing our blood doesn't heal..."

I try to think, but I can't come up with something. The tone in his voice makes me feel even more scared. Do I really want to know what he means?

"What is that, Stef?" I ask, terrified of the answer. "Cancer," Stefan says. All the air feels to be sucked out of my car. I hear Elena gasp and I bet I do the same thing.

Abby does not have cancer. No, it's not possible. Why would Stefan throw this on me? But why didn't I even know about it?

Maybe because I never cared about healing people. I never wanted to heal anyone, until now.

"Are you sure?" I ask Stefan. Stefan sighs, "I am. I am not sure Abby has cancer, but I am sure our blood can't heal that."

I try to think straight, but I can't. Abby may have cancer and I won't be able to heal her. I never thought I could feel this... useless.

Everytime Abby was hurt, I was able to heal her. She would drink my blood and would feel better again. But not this time. This time she won't heal by just drinking my blood... I won't be able to safe her...

A loud horn brings me back into reality. While a car with an angry looking man screams at me, I realise I am in a car, driving.

"Damon?" I hear Stefan asks. "I will go to the hospital. I need to check and see if the doctor is right," I say, "maybe it isn't cancer but something else."

"Where is Abby?" Elena asks. "At home with Jer," I say, "I will go by that doctor and compel him to tell me everything he knows."

"We are close to the hospital now, why don't we go take a look?" Stefan suggests. "You need to get Elena home first. Abby needs her right now," I say.

I hear Elena sigh. "I can't believe I am saying this," she says, "but you need to go home instead." "No, I want to talk to that doctor first," I tell her.

"Damon, Abby needs you. I know she wants nothing more than to be with you. I hate it, but it's true. So, go home. Go see her and be there for her. We will go to that doctor and talk to him," Elena says.

I can't believe the words are actually coming out of her mouth. But she is right. Abby needs me. Honestly, I need her too. I want to hug her and kiss her and tell her I will fix it so she won't have to be scared.

"Okay, but promise me you will compel that guy," I say. Stefan laughs, "I will." I take a deep breath and turn my car around.

I actually feel relieved to go back to my girl. When I heard her voice through my phone... telling me what was wrong... I could actually feel my heart break. I want nothing more than to fix it for her.

"Let me know what you find," I say. "We will come home right after. Please tell Abby that," Elena says. "I will," I say and feel a smile form at my lips.

It feels like Elena finally accepts my relationship with Abby. I know she hates it, but I hope she finally knows she can't change a single thing about it.

"Okay, be careful," I say and hang up the phone. I don't tell them to be careful that often, but it feels so normal since I always tell Abby.

Within a few minutes, I park my car in front of the Gilbert house. I get out and walk to the door. Before I can ring the bell, the door opens and Abby appears in the opening.

When I see her face, I feel scared and worried. Her entire cheeks are covered in tears and her eyes are red. I can see she is scared yet happy for me to arrive.

Without wasting another second, I take a step forward and wrap my arms around her. I hold her as tight as I can.

I feel how she covers her face in my neck and how she holds me too. I can't help but smell her hair. It smells like Lavender, which I know is her favourite scent.

I feel her shoulders start to shock and I hear and feel how she starts to cry. I hold her even tighter and try to comfort her, what was never my best quality.

I want to tell her it will all be okay. I want to tell her I will cure her and I will make sure she will be safe. But I know I can't promise her these things while I am not even sure I can keep that promise.

So I say the words she will be happy to hear and will maybe even comfort her a little. The words that are actually true.

"I am right here and I will never ever leave you," I tell her.