Nineteen

Damon

I sit on my bed with my phone in my hand. I had a terrible night sleep. Ever since I kissed Abby two days ago, I am doing terrible. Well, it wasn't the kiss that made me feel this way, it was what I told her afterwards...

I look at my phone again. I just tried to call Abby for the hundredth time this last few days. Why can't she answer me? I saw the look in her eyes after we kissed. Her brown eyes where shining like never before.

Until I ruined it... I didn't think through what I said to her... I was a dick to her and now she won't talk to me.

I came to look for her at her school yesterday, but she wasn't there. Well, I actually don't know for sure. I didn't know where to look. I couldn't look in every classroom to find her, could I?

So I went to her house. It was already five P.M. she should've been home! But she wasn't... So I went back to her school again and looked for her. But I never found her.

At least Elena gave me Abby's phone number. But since she won't answer my calls or respond to my text, this is a dead end as well...

I decide to leave it for a moment. She wouldn't pick up the last few minutes, so I bet she won't pick up the next.

Just as I put my phone on my bed and walk away, it rings. I immediately grab it and want to scream when I see it's Abby.

"Abby, thank god. Thank you for calling me back," I say. "Exactly the guy I needed," a male voice says. I look at my phone. Did I see the wrong number? No, it's really Abby's... O god...

"Where is Abby?" I ask. The man laughs, "I have your attention, I hear, good." "Quit the crap, where is she?" I ask. My anger is taking over. "She is here, unconscious, but she is here," the man says. My breathing quickens, my muscles feel like fire.

"What did you do to her?" I ask him. "Just a small tap on the head," the man says, "but you know how that works with vampires: we are a lot stronger than we think."

I start to walk around in my room. "I swear to god, if you've killed her..." I warn him. "Chill out. She isn't dead, yet," he says, "if you do whatever I tell you to, she won't die."

I sigh, "you want something, what a surprise." "Yes, Damon Salvatore, I want something," he says. "And what do you want, mister...?" I try to figure out his name. "Jack Miller," he says. Oh, he actually gives it to me, great!

"Why does your name sound so familiar?" I think out loud. "Because you knew my brother, Jason Miller. Or as you knew him: principal Miller," he says. I nod, "right. Well, I am really sorry for your loss."

Jack laughs, "sure you are. I know you are the one who killed him, dick!" I laugh, "well, in that case: you're welcome. The guy was a pain in the ass." "You know who is also a pain in the ass? Abby. So how will you feel when I kill her just as you killed my brother? That's only fair, right?" he asks.

All the bones in my body are on fire of anger. "I swear to god, if you touch her..." I start, but Jack won't let me finish, "yeah, yeah, I get it. But you're gonna do something for me first." I roll my eyes, "what?" "I want the witch," he says.

I am confused, "the witch? What do you want with her?" "I need her to make me a daylight-ring," he says. "A daylight-ring? Do you really think she would give that to you?" I ask him. "Well, maybe if I hurt her best friend's sister. Don't you think?" he asks.

I stay quiet, but in my head, I've killed him a thousand times by now. "So you bring me the witch and I will give you your sweet, little girl back," he says. I don't have the nerve in me to tell him Abby is not my girl. It's not that important anyway. "Where can I deliver her?" I ask him.

"I will text you the address, but don't worry, it's not the same address as where I am keeping her," he tells me. I sigh, "that would've been too easy." Jack laughs, "yes it would! So, I will give you one hour to show up there with the witch. I will keep Abby safe after the witch made me my daylight-ring." "No, you text me the address and there we will trade the witch for Abby," I demand.

Jack laughs, "don't pretend like I am stupid, Damon. I have watched you for months now!" I laugh, "nice to know you're a fan." "Don't flatter yourself, I am not a fan. I hate your work. That's why I want to end it," he says. "Just text me the stupid address and get your hands off Abby," I tell him. "One hour, don't be late and if I see anyone beside you and the witch, I will kill Abby anyway," he says and hangs up.

Within seconds I am in my car driving to the Gilbert's house. The guy had Abby's phone, but I have a small piece of hope that he doesn't have her. That she is just at home, laying in her bed.

I park my car in front of the house and run to the door. I try to open it, but it's locked. So I knock as polite as I can - which ends with me slamming on the door - and I wait for a respond.

After minutes the door finally opens. Jeremy appears, so I push him away and walk in. "Is Abby here?" I ask him, trying not to stress out. "Good morning to you too," Jeremy laughs. I turn around to him, grab him by his throat and push him with his back against the wall.

"Is Abby here?" I ask him. "Dude, calm down!" He says. "Answer me!" I scream. "I guess! I haven't seen her yet, so I think she is still asleep," Jeremy finally says. I let go of him and run upstairs. Please be sleeping, please be sleeping!

I open her door and turn on the lights... The bed is empty... Not just empty, it looks like nobody has slept in it last night... Dammit!

Jeremy followed me upstairs and stands behind me. "Where is she?" He asks. I turn around to him. Without answering I walk over to Elena's room. When I open the door, she is brushing her hair. "Damon?" she asks confused. "Yes, have you seen Abby?" I ask her. "Not since last night, why?" she asks.

"Last night? What time?" I ask. "Around eight P.M. I think, why?" she asks. I sigh, "dammit!" "Can you tell us what is going on?" Jeremy asks. I stare at the ground, feeling both their worried looks burning onto me.

"Someone kidnaped her," I tell them. They both gasp. "Kidnapped her? Who? How do you know? Why?!" Jeremy shouts. I look back at him and see the fire burning inside his eyes. "I got a call from Jack Miller. He has her and wants us to trade her for the witch," I tell them. "Wait, Jack Miller?" Elena asks. "Yes, the brother of your formal principal Miller," I tell them.

"What does he want with Bonnie?" Jeremy asks. "He wants her to make him a daylight-ring," I tell them. "A daylight-ring? Is he..." Elena starts. "Yes, he is a vampire. A new one, clearly," I tell her. Elena takes a seat on the bed and places her hand on her head. "He took Abby... Imagine how scared she must been..." She says.

I sigh, "yes, I know. But we need Bonnie. Do you know where she is?" Elena looks up at me. "No, you're not gonna give Bonnie to that psychopath!" Elena says. I walk over to her. "Do you have a better plan? He is gonna kill Abby if we don't deliver her in less than an hour!" I tell her.

"There must be a better plan!" Jeremy says. I sigh, "there is none, okay? Besides, Bonnie can handle herself. She will kill him the first chance she got!" They both stay quiet for a while.

"You know what, you keep doing this, I will find Bonnie," I tell them and walk out of the house. "Damon, wait! I'll come with you!" Elena says. I shake my head, "Jack said I have to come alone." "Still, Bonnie is not gonna go with you," she says.

I sigh, she is right. "Fine, get ready. I am leaving in five minutes!" I tell her. Elena nods and walks back inside. This time Jeremy follows me. "Damon!" he calls. "No, you're not coming either," I tell him. "No, I get it. But why did Jack call you? Out of all people?" he asks. "I don't know. I tried to call Abby last night, maybe I was the last one to call her," I tell him. Jeremy nods. "Do you think she will find out?" he asks. I sigh again, "I don't care, actually. We just need to get her safe. If she finds out, I'll just compel her."

Jeremy nods, "you're right. Good luck!" Elena walks out, "I'm ready! Let's go!"