Fifty-Three

Abby

Damon looks straight into my eyes. His beautiful blue eyes have turned red and the veins under his eyes are showing. I am sure he can hear my heartbeat in his ears. I don't even think you need vampire-hearing to hear it. My heart is beating so loud, I think even doctor Martin in whatever room can hear it.

I hold my hands in front of me, as a shield. Not that that will ever be able to stop him. With the look in his eyes, I can tell that he is ready to grab me, put his fangs in my neck and drink every single drop of blood in my body.

But it feels like part of my Damon, of the Damon that I know, is still in there. It looks like that Damon isn't gone... yet.

A drop of blood drips off my hand onto the floor. My hand is still covered in blood. I tried to stop the bleeding or hide it from Damon, but when I realized I couldn't, I stopped. Damon's eyes are on my neck. It looks like he gets ready to grab me and finish me.

"Damon," I say. I try to get his attention away from the blood and back to me. I know he loves me and he would never do anything to hurt me. But now... the blood has taken over that part of him. I see how he looks away from me and closes his eyes. It looks like he is fighting against himself. His hungry part against his loving part.

He turns his back to me and covers his face with his hands. "Damon..." I try again. I feel tears  burning inside of my eyes. Just like my veins are burning underneath my skin. I haven't seen this side of Damon before. I don't even know so much about this Damon. I know he has a hard time when it comes to blood. It doesn't matter how much he loves me or how much he wants to avoid it, he is still a vampire and he will always be craving for blood. Especially when he hasn't had a single drop in the last month.

And now here it is, drops of blood, dripping out of my neck and off my hands, right in front of him...

When he turns back to me, I can see his red eyes staring into mine. For the first time, I feel terrified when his eyes stare into mine. Normally, I feel loved or safe... but now I only feel fear.

All of a sudden, I stop crying. I am able to breathe again and I slowly feel the fear leaving my body. I lower my hands and leave them hanging next to my body.

Damon is going to kill me. He may fight it for a few minutes, but he is gonna lose the fight one time. I realize that the hungry part of Damon is stronger than his love, because the hungry part is who he is. It's in his nature. It is in his nature to kill me.

When I look at Damon again, I see he is getting ready to kill me, I know he is. He puts his hands against the wall behind him. I close my eyes for a second, letting the last tears drop out. Then I look at him again. He takes a look at my body, one last time.

"I love you, Abby," he says. He pushes himself off the wall and runs towards me. Even though I have kind of accepted the fact that I am not getting out of here alive, I start to scream. The fear kicks in again and my body starts to shake all over again. 

Damon's eyes keep staring into mine when he runs towards me. But something has changed in his look. It looks like he isn't as sure as he was a few seconds ago. 

Before he gets his hands on me, he stops. Just a few foot away from me, he stands still. I can feel his hot breath against my skin. I stare into his eyes, just as he stares into mine.

His breath is heavy and fast. His chest is the only thing that moves. "Damon?" I ask, carefully. I don't know if my voice will push him over the edge or pull him back away from it.

He turns his head away from me and closes his eyes. It feels like it takes hours, before he looks back at me again. "I... I can't," he says. My heart beats faster, but the fear decreases. But I am still scared that his hungry part will take over again. So I don't move a single muscle.