Fifty-One

Damon

What feels like hours later, her eyes open slowly. I sit up and look at her, my hand still in hers. "Abby?" I ask, worried that she might not be herself. She sits up a little bit and looks at me. She looks pretty confused, but still herself... I think?

"How do you feel?" I ask her. She takes a beat to breathe properly before she answers. "I feel normal," she says.

"That is because you are back to being normal." Doctor Martin walks in. I sigh, can this dude stop appearing out of nowhere? My hearing isn't what it's used to be so I don't hear him coming all the time. This is annoying! But then I realize, this is how most people feel when I appear out of nowhere...

Doctor Martin walks to Abby's cell. He walks in and takes a look at her. He inspects her with a little flashlight and smiles. Then he grabs a small knife out of his pocket and makes a small cut in Abby's arm. He stares at it for a moment and then smiles wide.

"Congratulations, Abby, you are human again!" he says proudly. Abby and I sigh. "I can't believe you actually found a difference between now and a few hours ago," I tell him. Doctor Martin just rolls his eyes and ignores me.

Doctor Martin stands up and smiles. "Now all your lies can stop, because you are actually human now! You're welcome," he says. "So you will stop experimenting on her?" I ask him.

The grin is back on his face. "After today, I will," he says. I sigh, "after today?" Doctor Martin bends down to Abby. He grabs her arm and lets her stand up. I want to keep holding her hand, but she gets pulled out of my reach. "There is just one last thing I want to test," he says.

I want to scream of relieve. He is finally done testing on her. And he finally knows she is human! So I bet he will give her some food, because now he knows she will die if he won't.

"What is the last thing?" Abby asks. Doctor Martin laughs, "well, Abby, I am glad you asked." He takes her with him out of the cell. "Now, I know Damon is the only vampire in here. And I know he would do anything to get some food," doctor Martin says.

"But what is 'anything'?" he asks, "will he kill his precious girl, just to survive?" My eyes go big and so do Abby's. I stand up as fast as I can. "No, I won't," I tell them. I know Abby is scared of me killing and drinking her too, but she needs to know I won't, not ever!

"Won't you?" doctor Martin asks. He grabs a knife out of his pocket and places it in Abby's neck. "No!" I scream. Without hesitation, he cuts Abby's neck open. Not too big that she will die because of it, but big enough for blood to drip out of it.

I feel my whole body starts to shake. I feel the veins underneath my eyes go thick and I know my eyes are turning red, when I see her blood drop down her chest. My body wants her blood, no it needs it. But I can't. I can't drink from her! I won't be able to stop.

When doctor Martin brings Abby closer to the bars of my cell, I feel my entire body is ready to run towards her, grab her and drink her. Hell, I am ready to drink every single drop of her blood. But I won't.

I walk as far way from her as I possibly can, hitting the wall with my back. "I won't," I say to nobody and everybody in this room. To doctor Martin, to make him stop, to Abby, so she will stop being afraid, and to myself, to convince myself I won't drink from her.

"You know I am a man of experiments," doctor Martin says. He walks to the door of my cell and grabs his keys. "So let's test this!" he says. I can see the joy in his eyes. He wants nothing more than seeing me killing the one thing that keeps me alive.

He opens the door and pushes Abby in my cell. She tries to fight him to get as far away from me as possible, but she is as weak as I am. Or, as I was. Just the smell of her blood made me stronger.