Forty-Nine

Abby

It feels like it's been a month. But Damon told me it's been about nine days.

Still, nine days in these cells with no sign of doctor Martin or anyone else. The guy hasn't shown since he cut my belly open and left me to die.

It would be fine if he still gave us food, but he hasn't. I feel like I am about to die all over again, but Damon is keeping me alive. If it wasn't for him, I would be dead by now. I would have died from dehydration. But apparently drinking Damon's blood is good enough to keep me alive. For now. His blood is not helping my hunger.

With Damon, it's a different story. He hasn't had blood in these days, which makes me scared. I offered him to drink from me, but he said he was fine.

I know he is lying. I can see it. He isn't himself. I don't know that much about vampires, but I do know that Damon needs some blood. That's why the idiot has to take mine.

I look over at him and see how he's sitting and just staring at the ground. I hate to see him like this. Sure, I don't like his killing-side, but this is way worse!

"Damon," I say. He looks up at me. "Just take a sip of my blood," I tell him. Damon smiles weakly and shakes his head. "No need, I'm good," he says. I move a little closer to him. "No, you're not. I am not an idiot, Damon!" I tell him.

Damon smiles, it's a better smile than before. "I just need to get you some food," he says. I smile and grab his hand through the bars. "How are you gonna do that when you are this weak?" I ask him. Damon puts his other hand on top of mine. "Don't underestimate me, baby," he says. I smile, "don't overestimate yourself, babe."

Damon lifts his hand and puts it on my cheek. "I am not gonna drink from you," he says, "the next drop of blood I will get in my mouth will be straight from the neck of beloved doctor Martin." I start to laugh when I see the confident look in his eyes. "I really hope you will," I tell him.

"I really hope you won't." We both look up and see doctor Martin standing on the other side of the bars, with a smile on his face. Damon laughs, "why don't you open my door and we will see?" Damon asks. 

Doctor Martin laughs, "too bad you're not making the rules here." He walks over to my cell and I feel Damon's hands on mine tighten.

"No, you are getting away from her," Damon says. "Well, since Abby is still holding a lot of secrets from me, I don't have a choice, Damon," doctor Martin says. Damon sits up a bit. "What kind of secrets? She has been honest with you from the start, you just didn't want to listen!" he says.

Doctor Martin smiles, "just drop the act. I know she is a vampire. I just don't know everything about her kind, yet." He looks at me and grins, what makes me want to vomit.

"Listen, dude, you are not gonna find anything!" Damon says. "Oh, I will. I will find out everything there is to find out about her. Like, why she can resist blood, why her blood doesn't heal other people but just her," he says. Damon sighs, "you are a true idiot!"

Doctor Martin opens the door of my cell and walks in. I hold onto Damon's hand and move closer to him. "Oh, don't be afraid, Abby. I won't ever kill you. You are way too valuable to me," doctor Martin says with a smile.

He grabs something out of his pocket and with a quick move, he stabs Damon's hand with a needle. Before Damon can do anything, doctor Martin injects him with whatever is in it. Looking at the way Damon is losing more and more of his strength, I can guess it's Vervain.

Doctor Martin smiles and grabs my arm. He pulls me away from Damon and drags me out of my cell. I look back at Damon and see how his eyes are focused on me. I can see that he is trying to fight the Vervain, but he can't. Maybe if he drank from me, he would.