Twenty-One

Damon

I look at my phone again. "Are we in the right place?" Bonnie asks. I check the text again. "Yes, we are," I tell her. We both look around. We are in an empty factory hall with no windows and just a few, mostly broken, lights.

But Jack Miller is nowhere to be found. "Are we late?" Bonnie asks. "Yeah, I am late when somebody's life is on the line," I sarcastically tell her. "Well, you don't really care about other people's life but your own," Bonnie calls me out.

"So, why even help him?" We hear behind us. We turn around and see a guy with torn clothes with bloodspots on it. My heart stops and all my muscles tightens. "Whose blood is that?" I ask him already getting angry.

Jack laughs, "not Abby's, if that's what you're asking." I breathe deep, but I am not really calming down. "Where is she?" I ask him. Jack crosses his arms, "first things first. Hand over the witch and make me a ring."

I look over at Bonnie. She nods and walks over to Jack. I walk with her, but stay like a few feet behind. Bonnie stops walking and stands a few meters away from Jack. "Do what you need to do," Jack says. I step forward. "No. Not before you tell me where Abby is," I tell him.

Jack smiles, "not until she made my ring." I walk over to her and stop two feet away from him. "Not until you tell me where she is," I demand. "Let me tell you this. I put her in a house made of wood, spilled some fuel and set it on fire," he says with a grin on his face, "so why don't you hurry up, before she burns to death."

My nerves are on fire. "You did WHAT?" I ask. I grab his throat and squeeze it. "Where is she?" I ask him. "Ring first," he says, still playing tough. I would really love to tear him apart right now, but I can't, so I let go of him and take a few steps back.

I look over to Bonnie again. "Hurry up," I tell her. Bonnie grabs the ring and places it in the centre of her hand. She closes her eyes and starts saying some spell. Within seconds the ring flies up a few inches. If this was the first time I'd see it, I would probably look at it with the same confused look as Jack does right now.

"Done," Bonnie says when the ring lands in her hands again. She opens her eyes again and looks at Jack. Jack grins. "I knew you would do it," he says. He walks over to her. "Well, you are holding my best friend's sister, so I don't really have a choice," Bonnie says.

Jack wants to grab the ring from Bonnie, but Bonnie closes her hand so he can't get to it. "First the location," she says. Jack grins, "and here I thought you were just as stupid as you looked." Bonnie doesn't seem to care, "location, now!"

Jack sighs, "fine. I thought it would be nice of her to die close to the place where her parents died. So, she is at the Wickery Road. You will probably see the house from miles away, if it hasn't burnt down yet."

Before he finished his sentence, I am already outside with my car. I jump in and ride away as soon as it's started. I am not wasting another second. I over speed way to much on my way to Wickery Road. I don't care if I get a ticket, hell I may even lose my license, but I don't care. Abby's life is on the line!

Abby

I lay on the ground. The fire is getting closer and closer... The walls of this room are already cracking. I am wondering what will happen first, that I burn to death or that the house will break down.

Then I see the door gets on fire. The fire eats the wood, but then the door opens a little bit. The fire opened the door! I stand up and run towards it. I cough a hundred times before I reach it, but at least I can keep walking. I push it open with all the power I have left inside of me. I feel a wave of joy racing through me as soon as it opens.

I walk through it, trying to avoid the flames, but they're everywhere! I see the stairs to go down and want to run to it, but I just can't. I don't have the strength in me to do it.

When I finally reach it, I hear a familiar voice screaming my name... Damon... Within seconds he is in front of me. "Abby! Thank god!" he says. He reaches towards me, but I stop him. "Get away from me!" I say, but I start coughing.

Damon sighs, "Come on Abby, let me help you." I shake my head and try to walk down the stairs. "Get away from me," I tell him again. But Damon grabs my arm. "Don't be stupid, Abby. You can hate me tomorrow, hell you can even ignore me for the rest of your life! But let me safe you now!" he says. When I cough again from all the smoke, I realise he is right. I can't do this on my own. I will die in the flames... And will come back as a vampire... No!

"Fine," I finally say. Damon nods and he puts his arms underneath my back and kneeholes. He lifts me up and lets me lay in his arms. "Close your eyes," he says. I nod and close my eyes. I feel the heat of the flames trying to get to me, but they can't.

"Okay, open them," Damon says. The heat feels less close now. When I open my eyes, I see we're already outside. The cold wind is taking over and tries to cool down my skin. I take a moment to breathe properly and let all the smoke leave my lungs.

"Are you okay?" Damon asks. I would almost forget that he is still holding me. Okay, that's a lie. My heart is almost beating out of my chest ever since he hold me. I nod, but don't say a thing. Damon starts to walk again. He opens the passenger door of his car - without letting me fall, I don't even understand how - and carefully places me in the seat.

He lets go of me and closes the door. He walks over to the other side of the car and gets in as well. "Are you okay?" He asks. I nod, but still stay quiet. He starts the car and drives away from the house.

"I am bringing you home," he says after a few seconds. My nerves kick in. "No," I say. My voice cracks, but I don't care. "No? Where do you wanna go then?" Damon asks, kind of worried. I open my mouth to tell him where I want to go, but I have no idea. I can't trust anyone anymore... Every single person I know lied to me...

"Abby?" Damon asks. I look over to him. His blue eyes are looking at me, filled with concern. "I don't know..." I say softly. Damon nods and looks back to the road. "Why don't I just keep driving till you know, okay?" he asks.

"No," I say, but I stop talking. I don't want to be in this car with him long... I look at Damon, but when he looks at me, I look away again.

I hear him sigh deep. "He told you, didn't he?" he asks. My heart skips a beat. How can I tell Damon that I know his secret?

Then he stops the car. I try not to freak out. "Okay, just stay calm," Damon says. He turns around to me and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Just look at me," he says. I want to move back, but I can't because his car is too small.

Damon puts his hands on my cheeks. His pupils grow, "you forget everything that happened today..." Before he goes on, I grab his arms to stop him. "Are you actually trying to compel me?" I ask him.

Damon's eyes go big. "What..." Then he seems to understand. "He gave you Vervain, didn't he?" Damon asks. He let's go of me and sighs. "Did you actually wanted to compel me to forget?" I ask him again. I ball my fists. "How dare you?!" I ask. I turn around, try to open the car door, but it's locked...

I turn back around to Damon. "Unlock it," I tell him. Damon shakes his head. "I am sorry, Abby, I can't," he says. "What do you mean, you can't? Just open the damn thing!" I tell him. He puts his hand on my leg, "I understand how you may feel right now, but you need to understand some things first."

I look at his hand on my leg and then in his eyes. "You're right, I don't understand how everybody I know lied to me!" I shout. Damon nods, "I get it." "Do you? Because I don't!" I tell hem. Damon nods. "I will tell you everything you want to know," he says.

When I look in his eyes again, my anger calms down a bit. "I don't want any more lies," I tell him. Damon nods, "fine." I doubt if I can trust him, but I don't think I have a choice. Besides, I trust him way more than I trusted Jack.

So I nod, "fine." "Where do you want to go?" He asks. "I don't care. As long as you don't bring me home," I tell him. "Deal," he says. I see a small smile break through on his face, but then he looks back at the road. He starts the car again and we drive away. When I look at him again, I feel a part of my anger and worry leave my body. The smile on his face is still there. Not very visible, but I can tell, it's there.