Seventy-Three

Abby

After a lovely dinner, Damon and I sit in the car on our way to the hospital. Luckily, we were able to enjoy dinner without the pressure of the results. All though, something is bothering me. If the results were fine, why do I have to come over? I did these tests before, like a hundred times in my life. Everytime a result was good, they told me over the phone. Why not this time?

Luckily, Damon is a pretty good destraction.

"Are you nervous?" Damon asks me. I look over to him and smile. "A bit," I admit, "but it has to be okay. I mean, I took the vampire blood before the tests, it has to be fixed." Damon smiles and grabs my hand. "Exactly," he says.

We arrive at the hospital. Damon parks his car. Before we are able to get out, Damon's phone rings. Damon sighs and grabs it, but looks confused. "Liz," he says and answers.

"Hey Liz, what's going on?" He asks. I hear Liz say something, but I can't understand what she is saying. The look on Damon's face tells me enough. "Yeah, of course. I will be right there," he says. He hangs up the phone and looks at me. "Liz found something on doctor Martin. She wants me to come over," he says.

I smile, "that's okay. I will walk home from here." Damon looks worried, "no you shouldn't. I should tell Liz that it will take a moment." "Damon, did it sound urgent?" I ask him. Damon nods, "yes, very. She needs me now... But I can tell her I will be there in a moment."

I smile and grab his hand. "Just go, Damon. I will be fine. I will just walk home or call Jer to pick me up," I tell him. Damon nods, "call Jer to pick you up." I smile, "I will be able to walk home, don't worry." Damon shakes his head, "call Jer to pick you up, or I will." I roll my eyes and sigh. "Fine, I will call Jer," I tell him.

Damon nods, "okay. Call me on your way home, okay?" I smile and nod. I lean in and kiss him softly. "See you in a bit," I tell him. "Be careful," he says. "You too," I smile and get out of the car. Damon waves and drives away.

I walk inside and take the elavator to the right floor. I walk over to the right office and knock on the door. "Come in!" I hear doctor Williams say. I open the door and walk in. "Abby, thank you for coming," he says. He points at the chair in front of his desk and smiles.

I take a seat and look at him. "So, as you know we did some tests a few months ago, when you just came back," he starts, "those tests showed us that you are doing worse than when you left, so we did more tests." I nod, "but you lost these results, so we did some more."

Doctor Williams smiles, "that is not completely true." I lift my eyebrow. "We never lost the results. We just wanted to check again. Because these tests showed us that nothing is going on. Your heart functioned perfectly," he says.

I smile and sigh relieved. "That is great news. I googled it and saw it was a small chance that could happen, so I am glad I am part of that," I tell him. I try not to be completely secure, but I also want him not to look deeper into it.

"Yes, well, we still wanted to check again. So we did some more tests a few weeks ago," he says. I smile. He must be totally confused that it is all fixed. I wonder what it was like for him to see there is nothing wrong.

"I guess you found the same as the tests before," I say. I get ready to stand up and walk away, but he shakes his head. I start to get nervous. "They didn't show the same result," he says. I feel my heart starts to beat a bit faster, my body starts to sweat and my hands start to shake.

"Wh... What do you mean?" I ask him. "Well, the hole in your heart is still there and it is bigger than before..." He says. I shake my head, this can't be true!