Fifty-Nine

Abby

A week later I feel a lot better. Doctors say it is insane how fast I recovered. I know some vampire blood helped with that, but I don't tell anyone.

Today I get the results of my last tests. Apparently it is not enough to say you feel good and you look good to leave the hospital. So, yesterday I did a lot of tests. Luckily, I am familiar with doing tests, so it wasn't a big deal.

I sit on my bed. Luckily free of all the cables. Damon stands in the room looking out of the window. Since the first day here, Elena made sure she wouldn't be alone with Damon. Which was hard because Damon wanted to stay with me 24/7.

I didn't let him, though. After two nights  I told him I could do it alone. You don't even want to know how hard it was to convince him to leave me alone at night.

But I had to. Somehow I couldn't sleep as well as I needed. When he was with me, I couldn't fall asleep and I had terrible nightmares. One night he couldn't be with me and Jeremy stayed with me.

I slept a lot better and didn't have one single nightmare. I told Damon and he agreed - after a huge discussion - that it was better for him to stay away at night.

Don't get me wrong. I love Damon, but I really need my sleep and if this is the way to sleep, I take it.

Damon walks over to me and sighs. "Why can't they hurry up?" He asks. I lift my shoulders and look away. Damon takes a seat on my bed and grabs my hand.

I immediately have a cold and scary feeling. I have no idea what it is, but it seems like this happens every time Damon touches me. I hate it, because I can't touch Damon and feel like I felt before: loved and happy.

I didn't tell Damon about this. I am not keeping it from him, I just think there is no good reason on telling him. He will only feel bad or be mad.

Damon puts his hand underneath my chin and turns it to face him. Even this small thing, makes me shiver. "Are you okay?" He asks.

I smile my biggest smile. "I am. I am just scared I won't be allowed to go home," I tell him. It's partly true.

"You will be. You are almost the girl you were," he says. I smile, "I do feel a lot better." Damon puts his hand on my cheek and kisses my lips. I close my eyes and try to relax, but I feel his hands on my body and it's making my head spin.

When he moves his hands to my hips, my body starts to shake. Normally, I feel some kind of excitement, but I only feel fear. Why is this happening?

I move away from him. He looks at me with a worried look in his eyes. Clearly he didn't plan to break our kiss this fast.

"Are you sure you are okay?" He asks. I smile my biggest smile again and nod. "I am," I tell him, "I'm just not in the mood right now."

Damon seems to doubt about my answer. I try to convince him by leaning in and kiss his lips, just for a second. Even that sends fear through my entire body.

Damon smiles. "Okay," he says, "you'd tell me if you weren't, right?" Oops... Did he find out this fast?

"Yes," I say. I hope he doesn't notice my red cheeks and my nerves.

The door of my room opens. Doctor Williams walks in. He heard I was in this hospital and he is the one who did the tests with me yesterday. Some were the same we always do for my checkup, and some were new.

"Good news, Abby," he says, "you are allowed to go home. Your body is strong again and can take care of itself." I smile and stand up from the bed. "Thank you!" I say. He just smiles, "it was all you." I smile and nod. "If there isn't anything else I can help you with, you are allowed to go home. Everything is taken care off," he says.

Damon walks towards him. "Just one last thing," he says, "Abby did some tests a while ago, but we never got the results." I look at doctor Williams as well. Damon is right. I would almost forget about it!

"That's right. That was all on us. We lost the results. That's why we did them again, yesterday," he says. Something about his words feel weird. It looks like he is a bit nervous... Maybe it's because of Damon or maybe I am seeing things.

"Okay, we would like to hear from you soon," Damon says. Doctor Williams smiles. "Of course. I will make sure you get the results next week or so," he says. We both smile. "Okay, thank you," I tell him.

He leaves the room and I look back at Damon. "Let's go!" I say. He walks towards me and I see he wants to kiss me. My whole body starts to freak out and before I know what I am doing, I move away and walk around him, like I didn't know what he was doing. Without saying another word, I start to pack my stuff, which is not much.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Damon asks. He walks towards me and touches my arm with his hand. I turn around to him and smile. "Yes, I am sure. I want to go home," I tell him. Before he can try to kiss me again, I walk away to gether some more things. Damon laughs softly. "Okay, you just seem weird," he says.

I smile at him. "I haven't been home in a long time. Don't blame me for being excited to go home," I tell him. Damon smiles as well. "You're right. Let's go!"

In the car, Damon puts his hand on my tigh. Normally, it would make me feel loved and I would hold is hand or something. But now, it only makes me feel scared. My whole body and mind react like I have to escape or something.

But why? It's just Damon!

He looks over to me and smiles wide. "I love you," he says. Luckily, that doesn't make me freak out or wanting to escape. "I love you too," I tell him. His smile grows and he holds my hand.

I don't say anything about it and stare out the window. But with every second that he holds it, I start to freak out even more. My heartbeat quickens and I start to panic. Normally, I only feel this in a good way. What is wrong with me?

I decide not to give in just yet and ignore the feelings I get. I keep looking out of the window. All of a sudden, a car comes from our right. I feel all my muscles burn and my body starts to shake when I see it's the same car that hit us a month ago. I wait for Damon to hit the breaks, but he doesn't see the car.

"WATCH OUT!" I scream. Damon hits the breaks immediately. But it's too late. The car will hit us. I cover my head in my hands, waiting for the car to actually hit us.

But our car stops. I look up and see there is no car around us. The car from our right is gone... It didn't hit us. It just disappeared...

Damon looks at me with a worried look in his eyes. "Are you okay?" he asks. I try to catch my breath and look around the car.

"I... That car..." I stutter. Damon puts his hands on my arm. "What car?" He asks. "That car, that black car! It came out of nowhere! But... now it's gone..." I say. Damon sighs, "Abby, there was no car."

I look back at him. "There was! A car just like that car that hit us the last time," I tell him. Damon moves closer to me and puts his hands on my cheeks. "Abby, look at me," he says. I stare into his eyes. "There was no car," he says. I want to tell him he is wrong and there was a car, but he repeats the words a few times.

"There was no car..." I say. Did I actually hallucinate? 

Damon lets go of my head and nods. "I think you are traumatized..." he says. I look into his eyes and shake my head. "No, I am fine," I tell him. Damon grabs my hand, "no, you're not. There was no car in sight..."

I sigh and get my hand out of his. "Maybe I just thought it was a car! I am not traumatized!" I tell him. Only the sound of that word makes my head spin. I am not traumatized!

Damon reaches out and touches my arm with his hand. The same scary feeling comes back. I feel my body starts to shake and I start to sweat.

With a worried look, I look at Damon. He notices the change in my emotions and looks worried. "Are you okay?" he asks. I nod and move a bit away from him, so his hand leaves my skin.

I take a few deep breaths again and look back at Damon. "Let's just go home," I say. He looks worried. I know he actually wants to talk to me about it, but he nods and we drive away.