Eighteen

Abby

When I arrive at school again, I am late. Jeremy was supposed to drive me, but he decided today was the perfect day to get ill. Okay, I can't really blame him for that, but I am still late because of it.

Luckily, my first class is Alaric's. I run through the hall, looking for the right classroom. When I finally find it, I almost run through the door into the classroom.

Everyone looks at me with a scared look on their faces as I run into the room. "Sorry," I say under my breath. I slowly close the door behind me and take a seat. "Welcome, Abby, thanks for not interrupting my class," Alaric says. I smile, "anytime!"

Emma, who is sitting next to me, turns around to me. "Why are you so late?" She wiper. "Jer has the flue," I whisper. Emma smiles, "how did you come here?" "I had to ask Jenna, but that took a while," I tell her. "Why won't she let you drive yourself?" She asks. "You'd say I was allowed by now! Jer has his license too!" I tell her.

"Miss Gilbert, it would be nice if you even pretended to be interested in my class," Alaric calls. I smile and look back at him. "I will, sure go on," I tell him. Alaric smiles and goes on with his class.

"Psst," Emma calls. I turn around to her again. "Do you need a ride back home?" She whispers. I nod, "please." Emma smiles, "you can ride with me then." I smile and form a 'thanks' with my lips without making a sound. Emma forms a 'no problem' and we both focus on the class again.

Finally, it's the end of the day. It's almost five P.M. and I have no concentration left. Gladly, we are allowed to go home. I still haven't told anyone about my moment with Damon. But to be honest, I don't want anyone to know. Damon hurt my feelings. Did I like our kiss? Yes, until he ruined the moment. Now I don't want anything to do with him. He sure is the horrible person everyone said he was...

I walk outside with Emma. "Before I bring you home, I need to drop something off at my mom's work. Do you mind?" Emma asks. "No, of course. I'm not in a rush," I smile. Emma smiles back, "great!"

So, we did just that. We both get out of the car and walk inside the police station. I follow Emma through the halls and doors. Finally we arrive in an office, the sheriff's office I assume. I've never been here before.

Emma puts a piece of paper at the desk. "That was it?" I ask her. Emma smiles, "you're not in a rush, right?" I cross my arms, "why?" Emma comes closer to me. "There is a guy in here who is really cute and I really want to say hi," she says. I laugh. "Do you mind?" she begs. I shake my head, "no, but don't take hours, please!" Emma jumps up, "thank you! I won't take long! I promise you!"

She leaves the room and I am left alone. I take a seat and look around. The office is quite formal. There is only one family photo, that's it. I would almost say that I am not in the sheriff's office. I've known her for my whole life, but I wouldn't say this was her office.

When she isn't at work, she is all happy and she loves family photo's, but here she just got one. I take a look at it and smile. It's a photo of just Emma, Caroline and their mom. They smile and look really happy.

I am glad that Liz, Emma's mom, made it to where she is now. I remember how sad she was when her formal husband left her. She had a hard time recovering, but she did. And now she is the most important person in the city. Who knows what this city would look like without her?

"Abby?" I turn around and see Liz standing in front of me with a confused smile. "I didn't expect you to be here," she says. She walks in and smiles. "Yeah, Emma promised me a ride home, but something came up. She will be back in a minute," I tell her. Liz smiles, "typical Emma."