Seventeen

Abby

I take a seat on the couch. I still need to process what happened today, or at least what almost happened. Did I really want to hurt Lincy?

Well, yes, actually I did. But she said terrible things to me, she deserved it! But still... I never wanted to hurt somebody that bad before...

Except mister Miller. Damn, I wanted to hurt him as well. I wanted to see him in pain and regret for saying these horrible things to me...

Why is everyone saying bad things to me?! Well, actually only them. Including Wendy and Rosita, but they only did what Lincy wanted them to.

Jeremy walks in. "Hey Ab!" He says. I smile at him, but it's a forced smile. "Are you okay?" He asks. He takes a seat next to me. I nod, "yeah. Just a lot to process." Jeremy nods in understanding.

"It's a big deal coming back home," he says. I want to tell him that that's not all I am processing, but I decide against it. I grab my phone out of my pocket.

Still nothing from Vicki... Another thing to process...

Jeremy puts his hand on my shoulder. "Hey, are you still with me?" He asks. I nod and smile, "sorry, I was just thinking."

"You seem to be far away from here," he jokes, but the smile doesn't reach his eyes. He is worried, I can tell. I breath deep and stand up.

"You're right. I think I'll just go for a walk," I tell him. He looks a bit concerned, so I smile. "I won't get lost again," I tell him.

Jeremy smiles with me, "okay. But just call if you do!" I nod, "I will." I grab my coat and walk out of the door.

I don't understand how I got lost a few days ago. I feel like I know this town like the back of my hand!

I arrive at the town square. I look around at the grass and the flowers placed around. I smile. I remember when I was ten years old. My dad brought me here almost every day.

I would run around, look at the flowers and try to climb in the tree. I couldn't climb at all, but my dad would pick me up and I would feel like I could.

Then I would sit with him in the grass and he would tell me stories. Like the time he told me he was there when they planted the big tree. I believed every word he said. Even when he told me he always climbed to the top of the tree, which I am now sure he never could.

I look around to the bench. I would always sit there and tell my dad that, one day, I would climb up to the top of the tree, like he did. He always told me I could do it, one day, and again I believed him.

When I look at the bench again, I see someone is sitting on it. I walk closer and see that person is Damon. How is he everywhere I am?

"Are you stalking me again?" I ask him with a smile. He looks up at me and smiles, "I think the real question is: are you stalking me?" I smile and take a seat next to him.

"What are you doing here?" He asks. I stare to the flowers a few feet away from us. "Just thinking and bringing back memories," I tell him. "Like what?" He asks, genuinely curious.

"Like the days I came here with my dad," I tell him. Damon laughs, "it's the town square! It's not that special you came here when you were younger."

I laugh, "I know. But my dad and I made some great memories here." I look at him and he smiles. "How does it feel to be back here now?" He asks, kind of careful.

I look back to the tree. "It feels good. I mean, I miss it and I get a little sad, but I feel like I can finally look back at these memories with a smile," I tell him honestly.