Chapter 42

Blood bounds us to each other

It makes us human

Even with the poison swarming from within

"I can't believe my aunt had a kid and never told me." I say while mixing the brew

"She didn't tell you a lot of things." Damien responds  while holding little Kai in his arms.

"Still, we were living with each other for centuries. And she just decided not to bring it up." I throw in some thyme into the pot while stirring.

"What exactly is this potion going to do?" He gives an unsettling look at the bubbling concoction; Kai giggling at his fathers actions.

"Don't worry. It's just a memory potion. I did it when I was still trying to figure out my past." Kai makes grabby hands towards me. Damien passes me my baby and takes over stirring for me.

"It's crazy to believe that just over a year ago, I was a little witch, rejecting the idea of love. Having no knowledge of the world around me." Kai's curious eyes wonder around; landing on mine, giving me a joyful smile.

"You don't regret knowing the truth right?"

"Of course not. I was living a lie. Now I have a family. My princess Aurora, my little Kai and my handsome husband."

"Katarina, I promise that I will save you and our children."

"You already have. Axel can do his worst, let's see him try to rip us apart." I go to put Kai down for his nap, joining Damien's side.

"It's ready." I pour the thick mixture into two cups, giving one to Damien. His face scrunches into disgust while staring down at the bubbling liquid.

"Have you ever drank a memory potion?"

"No."

"Stay calm and plug your nose." Before we can take a sip, Damien stops me.

"Why are we doing this again?" Worry laced in his words

"We don't know anything about Nick. We need to take a glance into his past." I quickly drink down the potion; immediately, my eyes become heavy. My hazy eyes watch as Damien drinks the last drop of his cup.

     The blood already dripping down my chin, "this is really going to suck."

*  *  *

Centuries ago 

    Young Ruby Night held the young child's hand. So delicate and not right for the world she lived in. Part of Ruby was ashamed of her child and of herself. She betrayed her coven and slept with a demon of hell; going as far as to have a child.

   She was doing this for the good of her child and of her family. She's loyal to her sister, Rosemary; loyal to her sisters unborn child.

"Mommy, where are we going?"

"We are going to go see mommy's friend." She grips the child's hand harder. Walking faster into the dark fog.

"I know you are here, Axel."

"I can never seem to surprise you Ruby." The exiled demon walks out from the darkness. The young boy was not scared of this mysterious man; the demon in him liked the darkness radiating off the man. Like one of the same cloth.

"Nick, this is Axel." The boy waves to the man

"He will be much help when the time comes."

"You're more heartless than I thought. Leaving your own child."

"If we want this plan to work, I must."

"We both know that isn't the only reason." Ruby kneels down to be the same height as young Nick Quill.

"Mommy..."

"Nick, listen to me. You are going to go with Axel. You will learn everything you need to know. Trust only him. I love you. We will meet again." Ruby kisses her child before leaving without another word. Leaving Nick in a world of darkness.

Rage and revenge fueling him.

He will bring pain to those who took his happiness away.

*  *  *

     The wet tears fall from my eyes as I start a coughing fit. Damien's soothing touch comforts me. The coughing calms down as I look at him. Blood was running down his nose; mine as well.

"Don't cry, my love. It's okay." He whispers

"How could I not cry? Ruby left him for me."

"No she didn't. She was heartless and left her child to become a monster."

"A monster just like her."

"Indeed." At that time Kai started to cry. Damien leaves my side for only a moment, to grab our son.

"Kat, you are not like your family," Damien places Kai in my arms, calming the crying child, "you do not abandon your family. You protect them from the dark."

"You're right. I just fear them. Nick blames me for his mother's actions. This war has been brewing for centuries...and it's finally reached the end."

"There was always going to be a war between Axel and I. Nick is just another pest in the way."

"To think, what if my family weren't psychotic. My life would be completely different."

"You would never be with me."

"That's something I would never change." I peck his lips before placing a kiss on Kai's forehead.

   The soldiers were strong and determined. The swords sharpened to a point. The demons thirsty for blood of the vile. This war was always coming; now it's here and ready for the kill.

   This would change everything; change the future of hell and everyone in it. My only hope is that my family; Damien, my children, and my friends all live through it. But such a grand wish is not meant for the underworld.

There is blood to be paid.

Mine or Axel's.

Only 3 more chapters!!!

I'm so excited, even though I love this book with everything in me.

But it won't be gone...

Sorry for the short chapter. It's kind of like a filler chapter, but with loads of info.

I'm also in New York right now, so...I thought I would try to get one chapter out while I'm here.

Hope you all enjoy!!