Chapter 37

My dear sweet Aurora.

Don't give up strength.

I'll save you.

Mommy will save you.

Damien holds the castle under lock and key. I always have a guards following me; even though I have told Damien multiple times that I am completely capable of protecting myself. He fires back with the claim that I am pregnant and needs extra coverage.

No one has been able to find Axel. We search the town and the forest everyday for a spy. But it's like he doesn't need one, for he is always watching us.

The mole.

The demons in the walls.

Damien goes out and searches for our little girl everyday. From day to night; from dawn till dusk. There's no trace. They're not here anymore.

But I can't just sit here and do nothing while my child is out there. When she is alone and scared of the world around her.

Damien is so fast to get out of bed; I can barely catch him at times. It makes me feel guilty as he does everything and I just sit in my corner.

Not my damn fault. He doesn't let me do anything.

"Damien."

"Don't Kat. I know what you are going to ask. The answer is no."

"Damien, I can help. She's my daughter too."

"But you need to keep our other child safe. You have to trust me that I will find her."

"I do trust you." He kisses my forehead before rushing out the door. Another day of fighting this war and finding the princess.

I do hope you trust me Damien. Because I have to do what has to be done.

Like lightening, I grab a piece of paper. With a simple spell, I could contact Axel. With a pen, I write across the paper.

Axel—

I know it's me you want. Give me back my Aurora, unharmed. And I will trade myself for her. She is but a child. This war is not about her. Meet me where we saw each other last. Midnight. I will not offer this again.

Katarina.

After writing, I crumble the paper in my hands. Chanting the spell, the paper lifts into the air. Bursting into flames and sending it straight to Axel.

Hopefully.

* * *

I had sneaked out of the castle. I was now waiting in the middle of snow; waiting for the reaper. Damien and the whole castle would know that I was gone in a few minutes.

Risky business.

"Katarina." Axel had two men with him again. Aurora stood at his feet, his hand on her shoulder.

"I'll go with you. Just give me Aurora." He gives a shift nod before bending down to Aurora's height.

"Run to her." He whispers in her ear before she sprints over to me. She jumps into my arms; burying her face into my neck.

"I want you to run to the castle."

"Mommy..."

"I need you to run. Tell your father that I love him and I'm sorry. I love you princess."

"I love you Mommy." I kiss her cheek before pushing her in the opposite direction of Axel.

"Let's go Katarina. Don't be unfair." I walk towards Axel and his evil grin. Just when I'm in arms length, he grips my upper arm and pulls me to him.

"There's no where to run now." I dare not let the tears fall from my eyes.

   I could see the black smoke crowd around the four of us. Axel made sure to keep a hand on my arm; in fear that I might run.

I would.

   I didn't want to use magic because I didn't know what was to come. I might need power later for the dangers ahead.

   One second, we're surrounded by a black fog; now it's blood thirsty demons. Some had wings like a bat; horns jumping out from their skulls; tails that laid dead on the ground.

They weren't normal.

"What did you do to them?" Axel pushes me forward down the gravel walkway; I watch as the mutant demons try to grab at my feet.

"I made them better."

"You're a monster."

"That's the thing Kat. We are all monsters."

   I look up from the demons to the direction we were heading. A big mansion was at the end of the walk way; with a mountain as the setting behind it.

    We were still in Hell. I knew that. But something about this part was making me on edge. The sky seemed to be darker, the very air was sickening, and everything around you seemed to follow you everywhere.

"What part of hell is this?"

"Far from the kingdom. So don't even think about running."

"It's different here. It's unnatural."

"That's because this is my kingdom."

  The door to the mansion seemed to open itself. Axel drags me through the house; I try to memorize the hallways and each room. But it is a maze. The first step is to escape the house, then get past the demon minions.

   He forces me into a pitch black room. So dark you can't see your fingers in front of your face. He pushes me all the way inside, ready to lock me in the dark pit.

"You are the key to everything."

"What?" I knew what he meant. This war is about me. He wants to use me and Damien wants to protect me.

Not everyone can be protected.

"Enjoy your new home. It's going to be one hell of a ride." Axel slams the door behind him; locking it shut.

I'm so sorry Damien.

I had to save my Aurora.

Please forgive me.

And please save me from this hell.

Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!

Your welcome🖤😈

XOXO