Chapter 27

1938

    The Great Depression hit everyone hard. Not just the poor, but the rich as well. The rich became the poor and the poor became more poor.

    And I certainly had nothing. Leaving Aunt Ruby meant no money and no shelter. I was willing to take the risk; I'm older now and therefore smarter. I know how to hide in the shadows and be invisible.

    My heart had other ideas. Damien walked right in and broke down my walls. It only took him two months for us to tie the knot.

    And about a year later, I found myself pregnant. Having a baby during one of the darkest times in history was not enjoyable. Damien had all the answers to the many problems.

    Hard to explain the sudden bursts of fires around the house. Damien never mentioned it though. He knew me before than I knew myself.

    My screams shake the house with chaos. Damien holds my hand while three woman run about. Our little baby was almost in this world. Only thing that was needed now was my pain.

"Please beginning pushing, Mrs. Blackwood." With a squeeze and a scream, I try to push. I heard Damien grunt a little while I squeeze his hand.

"Keep going. The baby is almost here." The pea shaped sweat drips down my forehead. My eyes have heavy bags of grey and my lips dry.

"I can't...Damien, it hurts."

"I know, I know. You have to keep going. Our child is almost with us. Don't you want to hold our child?" My lip trembles as I nod my head. With a few more painful pushes, my screams stop. Replacing it was a baby's cry.

"Mister Blackwood, you have a daughter." One of the woman, placed our new born girl in my husbands arms. Through my hazy eyes, I saw tears spill from his eyes.

"Let me hold her." Upon my request, Damien places our daughter in my arms. Her brown eyes meeting with mine. A toothless grin making its way across her little face.

"Aurora...I wish to name her Aurora." I whisper in fear of displeasing my baby.

"That's perfect. Our little Aurora." Damien kneels next to me as we gaze at our child.

What a life she will have.

And how I wish I could have been there to see it...

*  *  *

    My breathing was out of control. No matter how many times I woke up and went back to sleep; it was the same dream. The same memory of the birth of my child.

    She was so young, yet I gave birth years ago. I've accepted the fact that I have a daughter. How could I not, when I have the same memory every night. But the fact that Damien kept this from me...its unforgivable.

    Ruin my life? Fine; been there, done that. But withhold my child from me? Honey, you better run for the hills. For I will chop off your balls and feed them to you.

    I walk the halls, trying to find my hidden daughter. I can't believe I haven't seen her around her until yesterday.

    Rooming the halls and I hear Zach's very annoying voice. And with one twin comes another.

    They turn the corner; Zara, Sebastian, Zach and Xander all laughing amongst each other. I step in their way with my arms folded.