Prologue

1692

The Salem Witch Trials

You are not a monster. The one sentence my mother tells me everyday. Whether it was at night or during our spells.

          We're witches. We don't have pointy hats or brooms. We aren't covered in warts and we are not green. Complete myths. But magic runs through our veins.

          It was dark times now. Women, young and old, being accused of using witchcraft. You would get a short trial, then sent to the rope.

           Friends accusing friends. Family members turning on each other.

           There has been six deaths so far. Three of which were actually witches; apart of my mother's coven. The other three were humans. Poor, innocent humans.

           It was dark times now. We had to survive. Because that is what we do best.

*  *  *

"Katarina, finish your chores." My little hands grab the broom, leaning against the wall of our tiny home.

"Yes mother." I sweep the floor from the dust it collected. My mother and Aunt Ruby in the other room, cooking dinner for tonight's guests.

          A full moon was very sacred to a witch. Our powers were at a all time high. Very dangerous for  someone who isn't like us.

"We have a be careful." Mother's and Ruby's voices began to pick up. Their whispers turning into yells.

"Rosemary, please calm down..."

"I can't. He will take my baby away."

"You don't know that."

"Her powers are already growing, Ruby. He will have her." My ear presses against the door. Wasn't long before it flung open. I land on my chest with my mother and aunt standing above me.

"Hello mother. Hello Aunt Ruby." I flash an innocent smile while dusting myself off.

"Katarina, that was very rude of you to listen in on our conversation."

"I'm sorry mother...who is he?"

"Excuse me?"

"The person you were talking about."

"No one dear...Our guests will be here any minute." Without a second to spare, there's a knock at the door. My mother opens the door to reveal the town mayor with two gentlemen behind him.

"Miss Night." The mayor says

"Good day Mayor Marshall. What is the matter?" Mother says

"I'm sorry to inform you, but we must take you in." The mayor didn't hold any signs of guilt. Ruby, immediately grabs me and places me behind her.

My mother has been accused of witchcraft; she is guilty.

"Please, let me hold my daughter one more time."

"I'm sorry, we have to go. Now." The men grab my mother's arms and begin to drag her out of the house. Ruby was yelling at the mayor.

I could feel this undying power within me. It was screaming to get out. The demons in my head begging to be let out.

"Let my mother go." The two men look towards me while having my mother in their arms. All of us standing in middle of the clearing in the woods.

"Don't get into more trouble little girl." One of the men say