Chapter 13

Numb to the world. Numb to all the surroundings of this life.

Mother's screams echoing in my ears. The way the fire melted her skin. Like fire on wax. Then the deadly silence; that was worse then the screams.

Did Ruby suffer? Did the killer watch her life slip away? No one deserves this pain or suffering; not even the devil himself.

Zara calls me non stop to see how I am. Or how I'm feeling. That's the problem, I don't feel anything. By now the news had spread through New York. This wouldn't leave me for a few years. Unless I get out of town...but I couldn't do that to Damien.

I still plan on going to Damien's today. I need to get out of the house. They would litter me with questions, but I rather be numb and with people then be alone.

I guess I now know my one true fear. Being alone.

I dress in the simplest clothes I could find. Black; funny. Jeans with a crop top and cardigan. I don't bother with my hair, for I do not care.

I kiss Salem goodbye then leave my apartment. A quick drive to Damien's penthouse. My stomach twisting with nerves. I rather not speak about the events of my life at the moment. I truly believe it couldn't get any worse.

I park my car and start to walk inside Damien's building.

"Katarina."

That voice. I turn my head to the sides; nothing.

"Katarina."

A ghostly white figure was only a couple of feet away. A white dress covered the ghost. Brown locks cascading down its back.

"Mom." I rub my eyes and once I open them again...she's gone. Great, I'm seeing ghosts now.

I arrive at Damien's door. I knock twice and wait for someone to open it.

"Kat. We didn't think you would come." Sebastian stood there and gave a sorrowful smile.

"I needed to see my friends."

"Come in. Everyone's waiting." I step through the door and walk into the living room. Laughing and conversations start to die down at the sound of my feet stepping. Their eyes held pity; I didn't want their pity. What was pity going to do for me?

"Kat." Sebastian walks by me and takes a seat next to Zara. Damien stands up and presents himself before me.

"I'm so sorry about what happen to your aunt..."

"I rather not talk about it."

"That's fine. I just want to see you smile."

"I don't know if that's possible yet." He gives me a smile then grabs my hand. He guides me in the direction of the couch. I sit between him and Zara with Sebastian next to her. Xander, Zachary and Nick on the other side of Damien.

"How are you?" Zara asks

"I don't know yet."

"What are you feeling?" Damien asks

"Look, not to be rude, but I don't want to talk about my aunt or myself. I'm here because I don't want to be alone. Got it?" They all nod fast, afraid I would slap them around.

"Sorry I snapped."

"We understand." Zara says

"So, what's been going on?" I ask while leaning in to Damien's chest.

"Well, I was with this girl last night and..."

"Please Zach, not another sex story." Xander, not to mention his twin, whines about his brothers sex life.