Chapter 19

DEMI'S POV
As Mom pulls up to the emergency room. Nick pulls Jordan into his chest and carries her through the doors to the front desk. "Please help her. She's been kidnapped and gone for five days. Please, just make her better." Nick begs the desk nurse. The nurse gets a stretcher and Nick lays her on it. She pushes her into a room and starts drawing blood. I stand outside and watch as a women walks up to me. "Mrs. Mendez?"
"Lovato, but that it my daughter River Jordana Mendez."
"Oh, I'm sorry. Can you tell me what happened?"
"My daughter over heard a conversation between my mom and I, it wasn't a good one, and she ran away. She was gone for about an hour when she called my husband. While she was on the phone, she thought she saw my sister and waved the car down. It turned out that it was her cousin who used to do things to her. She asked what street she was on. He lied and told her the wrong street. Then she kicked him and ran. She got to the street sign and told us where she really was. Then phone was dropped. Today I got a call and he asked for ransom. We gave it to him and he gave us an address. I  found her without pants or underwear tied to a bed and then we brought her here."
"Okay, well I'm Sandra Bishop. I am the hospital Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. I need to get some pictures of her and see if everything is okay. Is she awake? "
"Somewhat. Can I be with her when you do this?"
"Yes, I have to get my equipment."
I nod and walk to the waiting room to see Nick holding his face in his hands and his shoulder shaking. I wrap him in my arms. "Baby, I have to go and help her through this examination." He nods and I go back to the room. I hold Jordan's cold hand as she sleep. Sandra comes in with camera and swabs.
"This should not hurt, she shouldn't wake up."
I nod rub Jordan's hand. The room is quite has Sandra swabs Jordan's legs, and arms. Then she takes pictures of the bruises on her arms, stomach, and face. When she gets to her legs, first just the front, but as she turns her legs to get pictures of her inner thighs. Jordan springs up, "Sam. Please stop." Her eyes are glazed over and she's not aware of where she is. I gently push her back on the bed, and hum 'Warrior' in her ear. Sandra begins swab her. Jordan begins to tremble.
"How about we get her an X-ray. Then we'll hydrate her and give her some pain medication and get her some clothes."
I nod and Sandra wheels her to the X-ray room. I text Mom and tell her to go to the house and grab Jordan some clothes. The nurse wheels her back in and she is wide awake. "Mommy?"
"Yes?"
"It hurts."
"What hurts?"
I grab her hand as Nick walks in with red puffy eyes. "Hey baby, how you feeling."
"Daddy, It hurts. Everything hurts."
"I'm sorry. Baby, I'm sorry."
"Daddy, can we snuggle? I'm tired." Nick nods and sits down next to her. He combed his finger through her hair. She snuggles into him balling his shirt in her fist. "Daddy, I'm scared."
"I know baby, just go to sleep, I've got you." Nick whispers. She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. As tears slipped from Nick's eyes. I wipe the tears from his eyes.
My phone goes off and I take it outside room. "Hello?"
"Hey Demi, it's Max. We got him. He's in jail now. We'll have to go to court. She'll have to testify."
"Thank you so much. Text me with the dates. Thank you." I hang up.
I pace from the waiting room to Jordan's room and back. Only to be halted by Mom, "Demi, breathe."
"I am. You don't understand how hard this is. I just want to hold her."
"I'm sorry... Here are the clothes."
"Mom, Brad hurt me. He hurt me like Sam hurt her. I don't remember when or where, but deep down I know." I start to choke up. I walk back into the room. Nick and Jordan are asleep. Sandra comes back in. "My body guard just called and told me that they got him. He's is in jail."
"That's good news. I have to tell you there is a chance she'll be in a lot of pain for a couple of days. She'll be very traumatized for a long time. I would get her into therapy and really just take care of her. She's going to need you, at times she will be very clingy but just be there for her. You can take her home when she wakes up. Here are some painkillers." Sandra explain to me.
"Okay, thank you."
I sit in the room and watch them sleep. I cry now because I know I'll never understand her pain and how to help her. I am so scared to raise her to be the perfect person she can be. I try to keep my cries quite but they come out as sobs. Jordan begins to stir and whimper, as I try to compose myself. Nick yawns as she begins to cry. "Jordan we can go home now. Grandma brought you some clothes. You want to get something to eat?"
"I just want to go see Aunt Dallas."
"I can have her come over."
"Momma, they hurt."
"What hurts?"
"My legs, and my stomach. Momma, are they going to come get me?"
"Baby, they are never going to hurt you again. Come to the bathroom and I'll help you get dressed."
I help her get dressed and Nick carries her to the car. Mom drives us home. I call Dallas. I go and tuck her in. I unlock the door for Dallas and go straight to my room. I close all the curtains and turn the lights off, and lay in bed. I listen to the front door and Dallas' footsteps go into Jordan's room. Nick peeks his head in and I act like I'm sleeping. He closes the door silently. I begin to think of all the events of the past five days. I failed my daughter. I want to be there for her but I'm scared. I feel tears trail down my face. I check the time on my alarm clock and its 10:32 at night. I need to take my meds and eat. I'm not hungry but I have to eat. I tiptoe to Jordan's room. She's sleeping on Dallas' chest. I go into the kitchen and find a note from Nick:
Hey baby, you were asleep. I laid out your meds. There it is some chicken soup in
the fridge. (Figured you weren't going to be very hungry.) Anyways, I'm in the
theatre if you wanna talk or snuggle. I know if you are reading this its pretty late and
you are going  for a drive.
I love you be safe.
I can't help but smile, he knows me so well. I swipe my keys off the counter and drive down the street. I drive past my parents house, and a little further until I am outside my dad's house. I know it is late but the lights are on. I know what he is doing but I have questions. I park my car in the driveway and knock on the door. He swings the door open swaying. "Hi, Daddy." I whisper like I'm a little girl again.
"Demetria? What are you doing here?" Patrick slurs.
"I just wanted to let you know that you have a granddaughter. She's beautiful."
"Oh, yeah? When did you have her? I don't remember you getting pregnant."
"No, dad I didn't get pregnant. She's 14, her name is Jordan. Nick and I are adopting her. But she has a pretty tough past... It got me thinking about Cousin Brad."
"What about your cousin? You know your mom never liked when he was over."
"Daddy, How old is Brad?"
"Oh, I don't know about six or seven years older than you. Your mom always said I never you loved you and your sister but I love you both so much. "
"I know Daddy, we love you too. But Dad was Brad nice to me?"
"Yeah, he love you and your sister but you were his favorite. You and him used to wrestle and have sleepovers and build forts in the basement together."
****Flashback****
"Hey Brad, lets build a fort." My seven year old self begged my fourteen year old Cousin.
"Fine, but if we do you have to follow my rules when we're in there. Don't invite Dallas."
I nodded and dragged blankets and pillows to the basement. I stumbled down the stairs as Brad opened a can. "Brad, what's that?"
"Beer. You wanna try it?"
"No, my Daddy gets mean when he drinks that stuff."
"Alright, well lets build this fort. Then I wanna show you something."
"Okay." We built the fort and he hugged me. Then he kissed me on the lips.
***End of flashback***
I shook myself back into reality and Dad was dosing off. "Dad, Brad hurt me."
He wakes up immediately. "He would never."
"Dad, I remember everything. He molested me. He touched me. He forced himself on me. You never helped me."
"Brad, didn't touch you. Stop fucking lying. He loved you."
"Dad, you knew. I know you knew." Then he slaps me. I get up and run to my car. I speed to Mom's house and bang on the door till Maddie opens the door wide awake with bloodshot eyes.
"What the fuck?" She spits.
"Whe-where is-is mom?"
"Sleeping." she snaps.
"Well, Maddie fucking wake her up! I haven't taken my meds yet, I can't breathe and I need to talk to her."
"Okay, I'll get her. Just like sit in the kitchen or something."
My head is spinning and my face stings, "Demi?"
"Momma, he slapped me."
"Who?"
"Dad. I asked him about Brad. He got mad. Momma, he knew. He knew he hurt me." I sob. I feel like someone is choking me.
"Demi, he will never hurt you again. He's burning in hell right now."
"What do you mean?"
"He over dosed a few years ago. He's dead. I told your Dad that something was happening to you. Every time he was over and you would come home and you cry at night and have nightmares. Dallas said he never let her hangout with the two of you. You would have bruises. I'm sorry, baby. I didn't want you to go over there. I didn't want you to hate me more for taking away your Dad. You were and are such a daddy's girl. I'm so sorry."
"Momma, I never hated you. I just didn't understand. Mom I need to take my meds. Will you have Maddie call me tomorrow, I kind of snapped at her. I love you."
"I love you too, Demi."
When I get back home, I take my meds and warm up the soup. I get about half way finished when I hear Jordan scream. I sprint upstairs at the same time Nick does. He knocks me over, but I just get up again. "Don't touch me!" She kicks Dallas and Nick. "MOMMY! HELP ME!" She screams.
"JORDAN I AM RIGHT HERE! STOP!" I scream and she snaps her eyes open. "Jordan, look around you. Where are you?" I ask.
"I don't know. Momma, it's too dark."
"Jordan, open your eyes and look around." I say as I place my hand on her knee.
"Momma, I can't. They're going to hurt me."
I realize that her eyes are open and she is talking to me, but she's still asleep, "Nick, go get a glass of water." He nods. Dallas watches from the door. Nick comes back and I throw the water on her face. She screams and chokes on her breath slightly. "Mommy?"
"Yes, baby-girl?"
"It hurts. My tummy hurts."
"You need to eat."
"No, I don't want to."
"How about some chocolate milk?" She nods.
"Okay. Nick will you grab her pain killers, too? Dallas you can sleep in the guest room. I really need to talk to you in the morning."
"Okay, night. Love you." She whispers.
Nick comes back with the bottle of Shatto chocolate milk and her meds. He hands them to me and starts for the door. "Dad, you won't let them hurt me?" she whispers.
"I promise you River Jordana Mendez-Lovato-Jonas, that I will never let them hurt you."
She smiled weakly and takes a sip of chocolate milk.