Chapter 55

River's P.O.V.
I texted Mom an hour ago during breakfast to see if she wanted to go school shopping with us. She read it but didn't respond. I sit next to Dad on the couch. "Dad, is Mom mad at me?" I ask.
"No, She's in her pre-tour mode. I'm sorry she's acting this way toward you."
"It's not your fault. Dad, can I you a personal question?"
"Sure?"
"Who's Mason?"
"Your brother."
"Oh, how old is he?"
"He will be three October 12."
"Maybe Mom needs to visit him."
"You think so?"
"Yeah. I'm gonna call Lauren. She will come over and you can take Mom to see him."
"You're amazing." I leave and get my things.
I call Lauren, "Hey Girl!" She says.
"Hey, Mom and Dad are going out later. You wanna chill?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, head over at like two." We hang up. Then I go see what Maddie is doing. "Hey, what cha doin'?"
"Talking to Coral. When are we leaving?"
"I think soon. Dad's gonna take us school shopping."
"Hey River, Can I tell you something?"
"What's up?"
"Coral and I are dating."
"I know."
"How?"
"You guys were kissing the other night."
"Oh, well that's a weight lifted."
"Time to go!"Dad hollers.
We first go to Khols or uniforms. Then to Famous Footwear for new shoes and we go target to get our School supplies, then we head home. We pulling just as Miss Taylor gets there. We do our school stuff and get our home work. She leaves and it's almost two. The doorbell rings and I open the door assuming its Lauren, but it's Coral, "Hey friend." I say letting her in.
"Hey, Corrbin's said he will head over after dance."
"Okay, Maddie's in her room."
She goes to Maddie's room. I head into Dad's room. "Hey Dad, Coral is here and I guess Corrbin is coming over. Lauren will be here any minute."
"Okay, Mom and I are leaving."

Nick's P.O.V.
"Demi, come with me."
"Where?"
"We're going for a drive."
"Okay." She's irritated but she gets into the car. "Mason was a low blow." She says after a few silent minutes.
"It's my feelings. I'm not going to apologize for them."
"Nick, you left me alone in a bad state of mind."
"I'm sorry. I needed to clear my mind. You scared Meadow and yelled at River. I don't think you understand that they need you. I understand the pressure you are under. I need you and the girls need you."
"Nick, why are we here?" Demi asks as I pull into the cemetery.
"We're here to see our nightingale."
"It's not his birthday. I don't visit until it's his birthday."
"You and I both need this." I get her out of the car and take her to his tombstone.
"I miss him."
"Me too. I never got to hear his first words."
"He never got to see the world." We stand in silence. She smiles through her tears. "I love you."
"I love you too."
"Let's get the girls." I nod. We get into the car, "Thank you, for the picture."
"No problem. They giggled themselves to sleep."
"Good. We have Ellen tomorrow. I hope they can handle it."
"They're strong. They'll be fine."
We get home to a very loud house. I step into the kitchen which is destroyed. River stands looking at me with Corrbin. "Hey dad!"
"Hey, buttercup. What's going on?" I ask as I snap a few picture.
"Cooking?"
"Kinda." Corrbin says with a smirk.
"Get him!" Maddie yells. Next thing I know I'm pelted with eggs.
"Oh! It's on!" I shout. I grab a handful of flour and throw it at Maddie who ducks and smashes Demi and Meadow in the face.
"Nicholas!" Demi screams. I stop. "Come here."
"Wait, Demi I'm sorry." I say walking over to her hanging my head in shame. Then she smashes an egg on my face. I gasp. "Fight me!" I shout. We all throw food at each other. Meadow nailed Lauren in the face with bread, then Bryan and Marisa walk in.
"What the hell!" Marisa yells.
"Food Fight! Get 'em!" Coral yells.
"Oh! Hell no!" Marisa yells. Five minutes later the doorbell rings. "Not it!" The kids scream as well as Demi and Marisa. I laugh, the doorbell rings again, "Coming!" I shout. God bless hard wood floors. I open the door with egg dripping from my face. "Cassie! Hi!" I say over excited.
"Coral!" She shouts as she steps in.
"I didn't start this! It was Corrbin."
"True!" Corrbin shouts. She follows me into the kitchen and gasps.
"I'm so sorry, my children are maniacs."
"Just like our Momma!" Coral says going in for a hug.
"Ha! Nice try." Cassie says. We all laugh. Corrbin creeps up on her and smashes an egg on her head, "You're grounded, young man."
He laughs, "Worth it." Lauren chuckles.
"Hey let's get this place cleaned up." We all clean up giggling. Lauren slips on eggs and falls. We all laugh for a solid five minutes. It's absolutely one of the best days. We take pictures. Coral, Corrbin, and Cassie leave. Lauren helps us clean up a little bit more and leaves shortly after. We make dinner as a family. Bryan and Marisa leave after. We have Ice cream for dessert.
"Movie!" River shouts bouncing.
"Remind me never to give her ice cream again," Demi says under her breath to me. "Yeah, go get your pj's on, brush your teeth. River takes your meds."
After the girls are changed we all snuggle up on the couch after a near fist fight over what movie to watch. There were five choices, 'The Breakfast Club' River's choice, 'Real Steal' Maddie's choice, 'Camp Rock' Meadow's choice, (of course), 'The Fox and The Hound' Demi's choice, (because she is such a sap and child), and 'Saving Private Ryan' my choice, (because I'm a man). After the first round of rock, paper, scissors, Demi was out, then Maddie, then River, then it just me and Meadow. She fought hard, but I won. We pop in the movie and shortly after the beginning the girls including Demi are asleep. I wrap them in blankets. I head upstairs, I sit down and take out my song journal and write another letter then go to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N

Stay strong, beautiful! 
~syd😘👌