Chapter 40

Wednesday August 2, morning.
8:00 am
Demi's POV
"Jordan wake up baby. Come eat. Then you need to get ready." She growls and flips over, covering her head in blankets.
"Come on get up."
"Fine." She groans.
"Dad made eggs and bacon. I'm going to pick out your outfit. Then I need to shower. Go eat and then get in the shower."
"Okay, whatever." She snaps.
"Hey! I know it's a hard day for you but drop the tude."
She just stomps downstairs. I lay out a black skater skirt, with a purple plaid button up shirt, a pair of pearl earrings and her black toms. Then get into the shower. By the time Nick and I are ready Jordan is blow drying her hair.
I go into her room. "We need to leave in ten minutes you need help?"
"No, just leave me alone. I'll be ready." She says blankly.
I sigh. Nick and I get into the car. Jordan gets in the car with her hair in a bun, and headphones in loud. I can hear 'breathe me' playing. I tap her leg. She pulls out a headphone and raises an eyebrow. "Starbucks?" I ask.
"No." She says and puts her headphone back in and slams her head on the window. Which causes Nick to break very hard. "What the hell!"
"One, twenty five cents. Two, stop being disrespectful. Three, I will put you in a helmet if you hit your head on the window one more time. Do you understand?"
"Okay." She says rolling her eyes. She's lucky my phone rings.
"Hello?" I ask.
"Mommy?" Meadow asks crying.
"Yes, sweetheart what's wrong?"
"Mommy, where are you? I want to be with you. Don't leave me."
"Baby, calm down. Breath. Listen, I'll be home soon. Then you and me can do what ever you want. Okay?"
"But, what am I going to do?"
"Well, let me talk to Dallas."
"Hello?"
"Yeah, why's she so upset?"
"A bad dream. She went to go get you. Then she started to have a panic attack, so I had her call you."
"Okay um... She likes to draw, get her some paper. Um... Draw with her. We should be home in a few hours."
"Okay, good idea."
"So, we're pulling in. I have to leave my phone in the car."
"Okay, I love you."
"You too."
We get to the courthouse and Mr. Tompson meets us outside the courtroom. "Good morning guys. Okay, he's in there now. The Judge will come in, we will rise. Then the Jury will come in. You are going to be called to the stand first. I'll question you first then his lawyer will question you. Understand?"
She nods. Then we are called into the court room. Sam and his attorney are already there, whispering. They both stop as Jordan walks in. Sam smiles and I want I claw out his throat. Jordan stares at the floor and follows Mr. Thompson to their table. She's about to sit as the officer says, "All rise."
She remains standing. The judge walks in and sits. She waves and the officer opens the door. Twelve jurors walks in. I take a deep breath. "All may be seated. The Chavez vs. Mendez case is now in session."
Mr. Thompson stands, "I would like to start with a statement: You all are here to bring my client's abuser to justice.
I would like to call my client to the stand."

Jordan's POV
"Please state your full name." The officer says.
I stare at Dad, who nods, "Jor- Riv-River J- Jor-Jordana Men-dez. "
"I'm sorry. Miss I need you to speak up." He says.
"River Jor-Dana Men-dez." I say louder.
"Please, place your left hand on the bible and raise tour right hand."
I do as I am told, "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you god?"
"I do." I say shaky.
"Please be seated. "
I sit at the stand. I tap my foot anxiously.
"Hello, River how are you?" Mr. Thompson asks.
"I've been better." I mumble.
"Can you speak up and clearer?"
"I said, I've been better." I say louder.
"Alright. River, how old are you?"
"Fourteen. "
"Your birthday?"
"October 17th, 2001." I state. I take a deep breath. My stomach is beginning to hurt. There are so many people here. Aunt Michelle, Marie, and Paige are here.
"River, can you tell me what is accused of the defendant?"
"Rape, kidnapping, and assault. "
"Can you please point out whom the charges are for."
I left a shaky hand and point to Sam, "Samuel Carlos Chavez."
"How do you know this man?"
"He is my cousin."
"Samuel is your cousin. Were you close?"
"No. My biological parents died when I was four. I lived with Sam and my Aunts and in different foster homes."
"Alright,  thank you River. How long did you live with Samuel and his mother?"
"On and off for eight years. Months at a time. I ran away when I was twelve."
"Can you please tell the Jury why you ran away?"
I turn my head so I could see the faces of the jury, "I ran away because Sam-uel and his friends hurt me. And wo-"
"Hurt? What do you mean by hurt?"
"Samuel and his friends would beat me and rape me. When one of his friends sliced my side open. I thought that was the last straw."
"I would like to show the jury evidence number one." Mr. Thompson says. He pulls out a remote and turns on the T. V. and pushes it closer to the Jury. "River can you tell the Jury, what this picture is. "
"That is the picture of the scar from being sliced open." I say. I try to keep my voice steady and clear.
"Now River, can you please take the Jury through the night of June 29th 2015?"
"Well um... My adoptive mom and grandma were having a discussion I over heard about how basically I was too much for adoptive parents to handle. I became upset and ran-"
"Why did you run?"
"I ran because I am involved in a lot of sports and running helps clear my mind."
"I understand. Now you we're upset and ran continue. "
"I ran for about an hour, I stopped and called my adoptive dad. While I was on the phone I waved down a car that I thought was my adoptive mom's sister. It was actually Samuel. I asked the name of the street. He made up a street and insisted on giving me a ride. I said no, but he insisted on giving me a ride. I kicked him in the bal-crotch and ran to the street sign. Then I told my adoptive dad the street I was really on. Then Samuel hit me with his car." I spue out. I start panting.
"Okay, River take a deep breath. Then please continue." I stare directly into mom'a eyes, as mine begin to water. "River, I need you to continue."
I stare at mom. "When I woke up I had no pants on and I was strapped to a bed."
"Did you know where you were?"
"No, it was dark. I screamed and he came into the room and smacked me. He began to rape me. I screamed and cried. I began to count and he punched me. I asked him what he wanted. He said he couldn't believe I still did that shit, meaning counting when I was being raped. He told me he wanted to give what I wanted him to do." I began to sob, everything was flooding back, "I asked him to let me go home. He said not till him and his friends were done with me. He then raped me. He finished. Then the door bell rang and he went and got the door. He had six of his friends come to the room. They paid him. He told them to do whatever they wanted. I passed out and woke up in a hospital." I sob.
"Thank you River for your bravery."
Mr. Thompson sits down and Sam's lawyer stands and walks toward me. I shrink into my seat.
"Hello, River is it?"
"Yes." I say.
"This is hard on you. I understand you lived with my client Samuel. How was living with him?"
"When my Aunt Michelle was home, it was okay."
"When your Aunt was not home?"
"Samuel could do what he wanted to me."
"You say that he hurt you. But isn't he the one who sewed you back up when that man you say is Samuel's friend... What did you say? Sliced you open?"
"I'm not sure who sewed me up, I was unconscious. "
"Now you say your cousin raped you. Do you know what you are accusing him of? Do you know what rape is?" He asked shouting.
I tried to contain myself. I looked over to dad who mouthed, 'stay strong.'
"Yes, sir. I do know what rape is. Rape is forcing a person against their will to do sexual acts. I am under oath. I will not lie, sir. " I state.
"You will not lie?" He chucked, "I understand you have been arrested five times, shop lifting and selling marihuana?"
"Yes, sir I-"
"No, I did not ask for an explanation. When you were arrested did you say you did not do the things you were charged for."
"Yes, sir the first time I shoplifted."
"So under oath you swore you did not steal."
"Yes."
"Is it true that while in the custody of your aunt Michelle you stole money from her."
"Yes. "
"Is it true, you lied about the theft?"
"Yes."
"Is it true when in the custody of your Aunt Marie, you stole her daughter's bike and sold it?"
"No, sir."
"Now the night of June 29th 2015 you claim to have run away and flag down a car. You claim to have thought was your adoptive mom's sister. Then to be hit and knocked unconscious and taken."
"Yes, sir that is what happened on the night of June 29th 2015."
"It seems to me you run away quite a bit. "
"No, sir."
"Lie!" He shouts, he gets very close to me, "You ran away June 29th 2015. September 4th 2014 from your foster mother Meredith. May 16th 2014 from you foster mother Clair. Your Aunt Marie November 7th 2013."
"You don't understand."
"I don't understand!" He chuckles, he slams his fist down in the table.
"Objective! Permission to approach?" Mr. Thompson shouts. I begin panting and my head is dizzy.
"Overruled." The judge says.
"Make me understand. " Sam's lawyer shouts. I begin to wheeze, "You ran away from two foster homes and both Aunts. Make. Me. Understand!"
I'm breathing so fast, "My fost- foster mother," I sob, " Meredith, is an al-alcho-alcoholic pa-p-p-ain ki-"
"Spit it out!" He shouts.
That's when I passed out.