Chapter 29

7:30 a.m. Tuesday morning
DEMI'S POV
"Jordan, come on.... Get up! It's time to get up."
"Mom, come on." She whines.
"Come on, let's get you some food, then pick out the best outfit. We have to be there in an hour and a half, so we can meet up with our lawyer. Come on get up."
"Mom, I don't want to go."
"You have to."
She mumbled to her herself and sits up, "Carry me?" She whines with a smirk.
I groan, "Fine."
"What's for breakfast? I think I smell pancakes."
I poke her nose, "The only thing that Dad knows how to make."
I turn into the kitchen, "There are my girls. Pancakes?"
"Of course." I smile as I slide Jordan into a chair.
"I only want one. Do we have peanut butter?"
"Yeah." Nick nods, slides one pancake onto a plate, goes to the cabinet for peanut butter. He slides the plate in front of her with a fork and knife along with the peanut butter jar. She smother peanut butter on the pancake, and then cuts it into bite size pieces, then pours syrup into a small pool, she dips a piece in and pops it into her mouth.
She makes a face, "The fuck is this shit?" She asks pointing her fork at the syrup bottle.
"Syrup." I chuckle. It's amazing how far she has come. She still struggles with the bigger meals like dinner. She snacks a lot which is good. Nick and I have both noticed that breakfast seems to be her favorite meal.
"No, sorry that sugar free, here's regular."
"Okay." She pours some regular on top and devours her pancake. "Dad that was so good. I'm going to shower."
I nod.

JORDAN'S POV.
8:15
We leave the house as Dallas pulls up. "Mom, can we stop at Starbuck?"
"Yeah, what do you want?"
"French vanilla chai latte with an extra shot of espresso."
"Okay." Mom orders, then we arrive at the court house. We walk in and we are greeted by my lawyer Mr. Tompson.
"Hi, this must be Jordan. I'm sorry you had to go through what you have. In a few minute we are going into the courtroom,you need to sit by me, all you have to do is say your name."
"Wh-why can-can't I sit w-with my pa-rents?" I ask.
"Because we will have to rehearse what we will have to say for trial, and the plaintiff has to sit with her attorney, it just how it is."
"The Chavez vs. Mendez case is now in session." Someone yells down the hall.
I freeze. "Here we go." Mom says giving me a small nudge.
"You're got this." Dad says taking my hand, my body begins to tremble as I step into the courtroom, I see him staring at me.
"I can't-can't do this." I mumble.
"Baby, go sit with Mr. Tompson, and do not look at him." Mom says.
Mr. Tompson nods leading me to the table. "All rise." I remain standing next to Mr. Tompson. I feel my knees wavering as I try to maintain my composure.
"You may be seated." I sit and tap my feet. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Sam smiling at me. I begin to tap harder. "The defendant's name?" The judge asks.
"Samuel Carlos Chavez."
The judge writes and looks at me, "The plaintiff's name?"
I stand, "Ri-ver Jo-Jor-Jordana Men-dez." I whisper.
"I'm sorry speak up." The judge asks, I repeat myself. "Alright thank you."
"The defendant is being charged with kidnap, rape, and assault all in the third degree, correct?"
"Yes, your honor."
"He pleads?" The judge asks with a raised eyebrow.
"My client would like to plead guilty to the kidnap, but not guilty to the other charges."
"Are you kidding me? He took my client captive, repetitively raped and assaulted her." Mr. Tompson booms, causing me to flinch.
"I set bail at 2 million."
"Your honor, I don't know if you are aware that the defendant tried to flea the country and is now a flight risk. As he is also a very high risk to society." Mr. Tompson explains.
"He is willing to be placed on house arrest and forfeit his passport." His lawyer says.
"Okay, well... Bail is set and court is adjourn. I'll see you on August second."
"Thank you, your honor." The judge leaves.
I listen to the cuffs being locked and whispers. He walks past the table and smiles, "I love you River-girl." I roll me eyes and gag.
He walks out of the door.
"Very good. Okay Jordan I need you to come to the stand." Mr. Tompson tells me.
"Wait, the detective told me she wasn't taking the stand." Mom interjects.
"The detective must not have been aware of her age. She is fourteen, correct?" Mom and I nod. "She is old enough to take the stand during trail."
"Um..." Mom says thinking.
"Anyways, you come up to the stand, before you sit you will have to place your left and on the bible, and rise your right, and then swear to tell the truth. Then you will sit in the chair. How about you do that." I sit, "Now, River, can you go tell me how old you are?"
"I go by Jordan, and you already know how old I am." I whisper.
"I know how old you are but the jury does not, and in the court room you have to go by River. Now I will ask you again. River can you tell me how old you are."
"Fourteen." I whisper.
"Speak up." He barks.
"I am fourteen" I say a little louder.
"Alright, can you tell me how you know that man?" He points to the seat where Sam was sitting.
"He's my cousin."
"What is his name?"
"Sam."
"Samuel Chavez, is what you need to say. I'll ask again. What is his name?"
"Samuel Chavez."
"Okay, so Samuel is your cousin, were you close?"
"No, my parents died when I was four. I lived with Sam and my aunt, and other aunt as well as a few different foster homes."
"Okay, how long did you live with Sam and his mother."
"On and off for eight years, months at a time. I ran away when I was twelve."
"Why did you run away?"
"Sam and his friends hurt me. When his friend sliced open my side and to me that was the last straw and I left."
"What do you mean hurt you?"
"He would hit me, and he touched me. He and his friends would rape me and beat me."
"I'm sorry to hear that. Can you take me through the night of June 29th?"
"Well um... my mo-"
"Mom? You said that your parents died."
"Sorry, my foster mom. I over heard my foster grandma and foster mom having a discussion about how basically I am too much for my foster parents to handle. I got upset and ran from the house to clear my mind. I ran for about an hour, then stopped and called my foster dad. while I was on the phone I waved down a car that I thought was my my foster mom's sister, but it was actually Sam. I as-"
"It was actually Samuel."
"Sorry, it was actually Samuel, I asked the name of the street and he told me, then asked me if I wanted a ride. I said no, but he really wanted to give me a ride, so I kicked him in the balls and ra-"
"Crotch, you kicked him in the crotch."
"Sorry I kicked him the crotch and ran to the street sign and told my dad whe-"
"Foster dad, told your foster dad."
I groaned, "Jesus fuck man." Mr. Tompsons eyes popped but I continued, "My foster dad the street I was really on. Then he hit me with his car. When I woke up I had no pants on and I was tied to a bed. I screamed. He came in and smacked me, then he raped me. He said that if I didn't stop he would kill my foster parents. Then he raped me again. After that I told him to let me go home. He said not till he and his friends got what they wanted. Then he left to for a long time. Then he came back with friends who paid him at the door. Then they began to rape me and someone choked me till I passed out. Then all I remember is waking up in the hospital." I stopped panting.
"Very good. When you speak you need to look directly at me or your parents. Do not look at him."
I nod, "can we go?" I whisper.
"Yes."
I stumble off the stand shaky and walked pasted my mom and dad out to the car. I listen to the doors unlock and hop in and check my phone.
C- Hey are you coming to the dance studio?
I don't respond the ride home is quiet. When we get home, I follow my parents into the house where Maddie's laughing.
"We're home." Mom yells.
I go up to my room change into a t-shirt and spandex, then crawl into bed and eventually fall asleep.

DALLAS' POV
Maddie and I had a great movie day. My little sitter and I till one in the afternoon it was great. Maddie's laughing so hard by the time Demi and the others walk in
"How was it?" I ask.
"Horrible. That bastard is going to be out on bail and Jordan has to take the stand. Like what?" Demi rambles.
Nick just sit there shaking his head.
"Where is she?" I ask.
"Probably in her room." Nick says.
"Oh, I'm going to check on her." I go upstairs and knock on the door. No response. I go in and find Jordan with a tear streaked face. I crawl in bed next to her and pull her to me, "Uh what?" She mumbles.
"Nothing, just came to snuggle." I explain.
"Okay, I needed that."
She snuggles into me. I hold her tightly and she takes my shirt into her fist. I drift off to sleep with her.

~~Two hours later~~
I wake up to an empty bed. I hear music filling the house. I go down to the kitchen and find a note:
Hey Dallas,
I took Maddie to Ariel can you pick her up at 4:30? Nick and I are at the studio, I'll be home late. Will you make sure the girls eat. After you pick Maddie up, will you see if Jordan wants to go to the studio? If so text Nick and he'll pick her up.
~❤️ Demi.
I check the time it's 3:50. I go down to the dance room and discreetly open the door. The song is starting over and Demi's voice comes out of the speakers: 🎶give me love like her, cuz lately I've been feeling alone.🎶
I watch Jordan dance and by the end of her routine I'm crying, she's such a beautiful dance.
"Dallas? What's up?" Jordan asks, pausing the song.
"Nothing. That was amazing. We need to pick up Maddie get dinner and did you want to go to your studio."
"Yeah, sure. Let me go get some sweats and pointe shoes. I'll be down in a sec." I nod, she runs up the stairs and I wash  my face.
We go and pick up Maddie and stop pick up some salads from McDonalds and drop Jordan off.