Chapter 43

Sunday morning 9:30
Demi's POV
I wake up first and I go and make a pot of coffee and text the Fifth Harmony girls in a group chat.
(D-Demi, C-Camila, L-Lauren, Di- Dinah, A-Ally, N-Normani)
D- How's my girl?
C- AMAZING! She's so great. Omg she is so funny. We were telling stories last night and she had an amazing story.
L- She did have a bad dream... She woke up screaming about someone named Merididth but we got it under contorl.
Di- Can I keep her?!
D- Ha! No!! 😝 She's my baby.
A- Is there a certain time you want her home?
D- No. Why?
N- We are going to take shopping for an outfit for the concert. Is that okay?
D- That would be awesome... I'll pay you back. We can meet up for lunch.
N- Okay, see you later.
D- See y'all later.
I check on Jordan and she still sleeping. I call Jessica. She answers immediately, "Hello Demetria, my love... How are you?"
"I'm good, can I ask you a favor?"
"Anything, love."
"As you may already know I just adopted a little girl. Nick and I are going to adopt another little girl. They love you. I was wondering if you could come to my concert on the thirtieth and surpise them and sing to the song of yours they have made a dance up for."
"I would love to. Two daughters look at you starting a family. What are their names and how old are they?"
"Thank you so much, the oldest is fourteen almost fifteen, her name is Jordan. Meadow is nine almost ten."
"Awe I love their names. I can't wait to meet them. I gotta go girl I'll see you then."
"Alright see ya."
"Bye love."
I hang up and make breakfast, eggs, bacon, and fruit. I finish breakfast and go wake up Nick. "Babe wake up. Breakfast is ready."
"Okay,I'll be down after I shower. Do you want to talk to her about yesterday together or by yourself?"
"I'll talk to her first. Then you can talk to her. Then we can talk to her together. She tried to kill herself. That's serious. We need to get her to a doctor and get her medicine."
"Okay. I'm going to shower. Go wake her up."
"Alright. See you at the table."
I go into her room and she's awake looking through her photo albums. "Hey, why don't you shower, then come down to breakfast." She nods and gets out of bed. She's wearing shorts and a tank top. I see the red puff of skin on her arms. "Jordan give me all your razors now."
She begins to cry but nods. She goes into the bathroom and brings out three and then sticks her hand under the mattress, and hands me three more. "This better be all of them."
She nods. Then goes into the bathroom and starts the shower. I go back into my room where Nick is looking for clothes. I go into the bathroom and toss them into the toilet and flush them.
"She cut herself last night. I made her give me all her razors, I just flushed them."
"You need to talk to her after breakfast." He says sadly.
"I will." We go to the kitchen and make our plates. She comes down with her hair still dripping. We sit down and start eating. She eats and I notice she attempted to cover up the bruise on her face. It's still visible but I don't say anything. My phone rings and to the living room and pick it up. "Hello?"
"Hey, Maddie wants to go back to your house. I'm going to head your way."
"Okay. Bye."
I go back into the kitchen, Jordan is gone. Nick is doing the dishes. "Mom and Maddie are on their way."
"Okay well I don't want to be near your Mom right now."
"Alright but we are going to have to talk together with Dallas at some point."
"I know that but I'm not in the mood right now."
"Okay. I'm going to talk to Jordan."
I go upstairs, and knock on her her door. She doesn't answer but I go in anyway. She's got the covers over her head and she's crying. "Jordan we need to talk about yesterday." She sits up and stares at me with watery eyes.
"I need to know what happened in the bathroom."
"She came in and beat me up."
"Did she say anything."
"She made fun of me for cry, and called me a liar."
"Why'd you run?"
"Mom he tried to kill me. You didn't see his eyes. He was going to kill me. He's not going to kill me. I will kill myself before anyone else does."
"No, never EVER say that again, I never want to hear you say that again. He will not kill you. ou will not kill yourself. Do you understand me?" I yell and begin to cry.
"Demi! Why the hell are you yelling?" Mom asks.
"Okay Mommy I'm sorry. I don't want to be sad any more." She cries.
"I know. I know we are going to help you."
"What is going on!" Mom asks annoyed.
"Mom! I'm having a conversation with my daughter. Shut up, and go to the kitchen. I don't need you to come and criticize me."
"How are you going to help me Mommy?" She cries.
I sit next to her and hug her. I wipe the hair off her face and kiss her forehead. "You need to talk to my med doctor. She will get you on the right meds."
"Okay Mommy, I'll trust you."
"Do you remember what you said to Corrbin?" She nods. "You need to call him and talk. He can come over. "
"Okay Mommy. I love you."
"I love you too. Corrbin and I can still do the dance to 'Diva' right? The one you did at your seventeen birthday."
"Definitely, call that boy. He loves you so much."
"I know."
"Okay, here's your phone call Corrbin. I gotta go talk to Grandma."
"Okay."
I leave the room. I find Maddie on the couch watching tv. I kiss the top of her head. "Hey beauty, I missed you."
"I missed you too."
I go into the kitchen and find Mom. "I'm assuming you wanted to talk to me." I say.
"Yeah, about a few things. The first why did you threaten treatment for my daughter?"
"Because you were too blind to notice that she was starving herself, and cutting. I had to take her to get stitches."
"Well, that's not your place. She's not yours, she's my daughter."
"Why the hell do you think she wants to stay here? I tell you why. The same reasons I felt so alone. You sign her up for things she doesn't want to do. You expect perfection, and that's the problem. She doesn't fit in you tiny little box. You are closed minded. She doesn't want to be famous. She wants to be normal, go to school and make friends. She wants to dance. She wants you to pay attention."
"She's only like that because I let her spend too much time with you."
"Fuck you! She wanted to spend time with me because I understand her. You fucking broke her heart when you told her you would be disappointed with her. You called her a slut. She is like me. I'm like my dad. I'm extraordinary. You hate that. Dallas is everything you want. That's why you have pushed Maddie and I into fame."
"You are horrible, even as a small child you were terrible. I am your mother. I just do what is best. From what I can tell you are a horrible mother. You are evil and mean."
I let the tears fall, "Fuck you! I hate you! You are-"
"Why are you telling my mom she is a bad mom?" Jordan asks stepping into the kitchen.
I wipe my tears, "Jordan please don't. Just go up stairs."
Nick steps in, "No, Jordan say what you have to say. "
"My mom picked me up off the street. She hugs me, and wiped my tears. She talks me through nightmares. She saved me from Sam. She's helped me with school. She's the best mom ever. She's dropped everything for me. Drove me to a house she didn't know and took in my little sister with no questions. Dad makes me believe in men. He's there every time I need him. He helps me in my sleep. They both have put up with my outbursts and bullshit." She says and I stand speechless.
"I'm taking Maddie. We are going home."
"No! I'm staying here." Maddie says in a panic.
"Maddie, not right now let's go."
"No, please Demi, please. I can't go back home. Please." She crys and hugs me.
"Mom this is ridiculous. Look at her. Look at your daughter. Look at her." Mom still keeps her eyes on the ground. "Typical you can't look at her because you are scared of the truth. She needs me right now. She needs you from a distance. Look at her she's hysterical." My mom continues to look at the floor, "FUCKING LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO HER!" I scream. Though tears. "Get out."
Mom leaves silently. Maddie, Jordan, Nick and I go into the leaving room. Maddie curls into me. Nick holds Jordan closely. Then my phone rings and we all groan. "Hello?"
"Hey, Demi, we still meeting up for lunch?" Ally asks.
"I'm sorry, we can't. Maddie just got home. You just go to lunch and then bring Meadow home?"
"Yeah, is everything okay?"
"Just got in a fight with my mom. We need a family day before Nick and I get too busy. "
"Okay, you want us to bring you guys anything?"
"Can you stop by panera and grab some broccoli and cheese soup and chicken noodle soup. "
"Yeah, no problem see you in an hour."
"Okay bye. "
I hang up and hug Maddie tight. I notice Jordan has fallen asleep on Nick. "Maddie I love you so much."
"I love you too." She says.
She lays down next to me. I call Marissa. She answer quickly, "What up sister from another mister."
"Nothing much. I need to ask you a favor."
"What's up."
"Well mom and I are in a fight which as you know means Dallas and I are fighting too. I had set up arrangements for the next few weeks before school starts, and Dallas was supposed to take care of the girls. She is pissed at me. I was wondering if you could take over for a little."
"Of course. No problem "
"Thank you so much. Tomorrow we are going to the school to get them enrolled. Can you come over at noon, I'll explain the calendar to you everything else. You are really saving me."
"Hey it's no big deal. I've got to go Bryan is waiting for me."
"Okay, love you girl. Tell him I say hi."
"I will. Love you too."
We hang up. Now Maddie is asleep. I take this as an opportunity to go search Jordan's room. I go through the bathroom first, it's clean. I check the drawers and under the bed. I'm so proud of her. Her phone rings, I answer it. "Hello?"
"Hey, Babe saw you called earlier. I was gardening with my mom."
"Hey Corrbin is Demi, she's sleeping right now. You can come over though if you want. "
"Oh hey, cool. My mom took Coral shopping. I'll call her and then I'll head over."
"Okay. Do you know the code to the gate?"
"No."
"It's 67542. The door will be open."
"Okay, thanks bye."
"See ya soon, bud."
I hang up. I go back to the living room and everyone is still asleep. I text Ally.
D- Hey I'll be in the music room. You know the code to the gate, right? Oh, Nick and the girls are sleeping in the living room so be quiet.
A- No problem. What's the code?
D-67542
A- Okay. Be there soon.
I go into the music room, start playing the piano. Everything is so peaceful in the room. I sing 'In Case' softly to myself.
I finish the song and just mess around on the piano. The door opens and I stop and turn. "Hey, the rest of the girls went to see Meadow's room. Ally said you would be in here. I heard you and your mom got in a fight. You wanna talk about it." Lauren says.
"She just doesn't understand. When I was little I just wanted to make her happy. So I did everything she put me in. I hated it. I never wanted to be famous, but I never had the courage to tell her that. I'm grateful for being famous now. I look at Maddie and I see me. Maddie's so brave and told her. You know what? My mom blames me. It's like you have to be perfect like Dallas and fit into her box." I take a breath.
"I'm sorry."
"She thinks I'm a horrible mother. She said that in front of Jordan. I just want to be excepted for who I am. My girls can except it. My husband. My friends. Eddie can. The one persons I need, refuses too. It's breaking my heart. 21 years I just wanted my mom to love me. To be proud of me. It will never happen."
"Have you ever told her any of this?"
"No. Every time I think I have the courage to, I open my mouth and look at her and I can't. "
"You know what I think you should do. I think you should put everything in a letter and mail it to her. That way you get all off your chest. She can know how you feel."
"That's a really good idea. Thank you Lauren."
"Anytime."
"MOMMY!" Meadow screams as she hugs me.
"I missed you. Did you have fun?"
"Yeah. We watched movies, sang, danced, told stories, and we had ICE CREAM! Aunt Camilla got me banana socks like hers for good luck! Oh! Aunt DJ helped me pick my out my out fit for 'Worth It'. You wanna see!"
"Aunts?"
"Yeah like aunt Maddie and Dallas. You wanna see my outfit?" She asks bouncing.
"Of course." She smiles and runs out of the room. Lauren follows me to the kitchen where the other girls are except Camila. "How much ice cream did you guys give her?" I ask them.
"Not that much." Dinah says with a smirk.
"A tub and a half. They let her have ice cream for breakfast."
"Oh my god! You guys are nuts."
"No worries, she'll crash by seven."
"Yeah, after an hour of crumpiness." I state. They all laugh. When they quiet down I hear whispering coming from the living room.
The door opens and Jordan screams, "Corrbin!!! I'm so sorry. I love you."
"I love you." I peek into the living room and their kissing.
"Okay, okay... Enough." Nick says uncomfortable.
Meadow pops out infront of me, "Baby I'm worth it!" She says then poses.
We all laugh waking up Maddie. "Oh my goodness your are too cute! Come give me a hug. I missed you bug." She gives Maddie a hug.
"Corrbin and I are gonna go talk on the trampoline."
"Okay." I say.
"No kissing!" Lauren and Nick yell as they walk out the door. Jordan turns and smiles and gives a thumbs down. I laugh. Nick rolls his eyes. I sit next to him. "We are going to go. See you tomorrow."
"Bye girls see you later. We will come by the venue later."
They leave and I turn on the tv. We watch the discovery channel. I call Marrisa again, "Hey can you come over and chill with Maddie?"
"Yeah be there in fifteen."
"Okay thanks."