xiii

Nightmares

Narrator POV

Peacefully, the hardworking engineer fell asleep. The three bots were still playing with his hand, but it was a nice feeling once you get used to it.

Tony drifted off into the wonderful world of sleep. He didn't get it that much, but when he does, he sleeps like a baby. You could try to wake him up, guarantee he will wake up grumpy.

Once.
.
Then another.
.
And another.
.
And another.
.
.
.
They kept coming. They wouldn't stop. They won't stop.

The dark flashes of pure betrayal in his eyes.

The disappointment through theirs.

Snickering were heard behind his ears, taunting him to try more and more and more, until he had no more to try. No more to give. No thoughts to think. No dreams to dream.

No one cared. No one will. No one even tried.

Or so he thought.

He flew the nuke toward the big, vast portal into space.

He was all over the news. Could be seen everywhere. So many people watching him.

He tried calling someone, anyone at this point.

No one cared. No one picked up their phone. It was just a game show of who dies first, the hero or the people? Or does everyone die? Die with no story to be written. Die with no legacy to be told.

His friends were watching him. They were watching him guide a nuke into space. Relief washed over their faces. Pity.

What they didn't see was an attempt at suicide. To end this horrible nightmare. Just to make it stop.

To make it stop.
.
Make it stop.
.
It stop.
.
Stop.
.
.
Stop.
.
.
.
STOP!

He was sinking.

Tony jumped awake. Sweat pouring off his face. Fear in his eyes.

No no no.. it can't be right! They cared–care! Right? They care. Care. Care. Care.....

Repeatedly he kept repeating those exact words.

Head in his hands, hair held harshly, he shuts his eyes close. An attempt at stopping the images being made.

His bots were trying to comfort him. Slowly beeping and whirring. Patting his back with their claws. Trying to understand is feelings. Dum-E hadn't yet found this feeling fear yet. He couldn't fully understand what was happening at the very moment, all he knew was sad, and bad.

Quick footsteps came into the scene. Someone was talking, saying something. Something warm on his back, something weird. It felt weird. Very weird.

"–ey hey man, it's alright. Everything's fine. I'm here." A very very familiar voice said.

Tony just didn't know who it was. Who could it possibly be? No one cared. No one gives a damn.

The weird thing moved in a circular motion, trying to comfort Tony.

"It's okay. It's okay."

He slowly peeked one of his eyes open. He wanted to see..see who was there.

And he saw.

He saw who it was. It was his friend. His best friend.

It was Rhodey. It's Rhodey!

Rhodes smiles reassuringly, telling him that he's real. "See? I'm here. I'm not gonna leave either, I'll stay. In and out.. yeh just like that. Breathe in and out."

Tony grabbed his reactor, seeing if it was still there. Thankful it was and it didn't just disappear or was taken away. Thank the lord.

A sigh of relief came out of the stressed engineer. Relief washed over this face.

"Hah.." he hung his head back in the couch.

Rhodey looked at him with eyes full of concern.
"You okay?"

Eyes closed Tony replied, "mmhm. All good and dandy."

Rhodey got up from his spot on the floor and flopped on next to Tony. He slung an arm over his best friend's shoulder.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No. No not today."

Hmm.

Not today.

Ayy sorry this was short! Have to celebrate my grandma's birthday today! 🎊
Word count: 654