Chapter 15 / Zhan - A long day!

If Zhan had already known when he got up how his day would go, he would probably have stayed in bed. The first thing he did was go to headquarters and write a written statement, stating that he would take full responsibility for the failure of Yibo's mission. He blamed himself for this, as he treated Yibo himself like his husband at work, not like his young agent partner who still has a lot to learn. Then he briefly went to his office and found a coffee, his favorite coffee and breakfast on his desk. He assumed Yibo had brought it to him. The coffee was already cold, but it tasted good with the two sandwiches and the muffin anyway.

After his breakfast he went to the train station to pick up his cousin. Unexpectedly she had contacted him and asked him if she could stay with him for a few days. She argued with her husband and Zhan was the only one she could think of. Well, not that Zhan would mind, but it had been over ten years since he had last seen his cousin, and she was stuck on him like a limpet. She'd always been like that. She was always hanging on his arm, running after him everywhere and never tired of telling him her feelings. Zhan hoped that now that she was married, that would have changed.

He arrived at the station just in time. He walked to the right platform and shortly afterwards the train arrived. His cousin Xiao Lan got off, saw him, threw her bag aside, ran towards him and jumped into his arms. Zhan tilted backwards with the force of her impact on his body, along with her, and landed hard on the floor. Everyone around her stared at the two lying on the floor. He moaned about the pain in his back while she cuddled him. "I missed you so much, my ZhanZhan." She cheered loudly when she finally let Zhan stand up. She ran off to get her bag and quickly returned to Zhan, clutching his arm and babbling to him about her train ride, how much she missed Zhan and how happy she was to finally spend a few days with him.

In the car, she kept on chattering away. Not that her babbling bothered him, rather what she was saying made him feel uneasy. She always wanted to be with him, she always thought they would get married one day, she wished she was single again and she hoped for something from the coming days. "Oh, great. My crazy cousin and Seo Joon, this is gonna be something." he murmured softly. Because on Wednesday, Seo Joon would arrive in Beijing. He also wondered how to deal with the sleeping situation. He could hardly let his cousin and Seo Joon sleep in the same bed. However, he also didn't really want to share the bed with either of them.

As for his cousin, he was afraid that she would just jump on him. And as for Seo Joon, he trusted him, but they both have a common past. It was a long time ago. Back then, as part of his training, Zhan had to go to South Korea for a year. He was assigned to Park Seo Joon, who was two years older, and they even shared an apartment. It wasn't long before they were both more than partners. Seo Joon had been Zhan's first boyfriend and they were both very much in love and happy. But after Zhan returned to Beijing, they separated with a heavy heart. Zhan was pretty upset at that time. But after he got over it, they became good friends. But they never told anyone how they met and became friends. That was and remained their secret.

At that time, Zhan found the separation very difficult and had to struggle with it for a long time. He really fell in love for the first time and both were very happy. But their jobs as agents and in different countries didn't allow them to stay together. And even though Zhan would have liked to have someone to talk to at that point when they broke up, he kept it to himself. But he had also decided never to let anybody go who had his heart set on him again. He never wanted to lose someone he loved just because things got hard. And that's why he always said to Yibo, heart over head. He loves Yibo like crazy, but he has reached the point where that is no longer enough.

Zhan didn't want to lose or give up Yibo, but what else could he do? Where had his own feelings taken him so far? What did Zhan teach it? Sometimes love is not enough! That it's not enough when one gives everything and the other is always somewhere else with his head. For Zhan it was clear that if he and Yibo were to have another chance, Yibo would have to grow up and learn to appreciate the person at his side. Learning what it means to love and not just to be loved. Learning that you have to do more than telling your partner how you feel. How he would have loved to hear from Yibo what his first day as an apprentice was like. But he could not and would not give in.

Zhan and his cousin visited Zhan's parents. They had not been surprised to see how much their niece was attached to Zhan's arm. Didn't take her eyes off him and acted like a teenager in love. They knew it not other from her. Even when Zhan was little, his cousin, three years younger than him, followed him wherever he went. 

They had lunch together and then Xiao Lan insisted on going shopping with Zhan. She dragged him from one store to the next for three hours. But she hadn't bought anything. Still not tired, she kept on looking for entertainment. She decided that Zhan should take her to the Adventure Park and test all the rides with her. And then she still didn't have enough. After a meal in a restaurant, she decided karaoke was the way to go. And finally at two o'clock in the morning they came home and Xiao Lan just fell into bed.

Zhan took a quick shower, put on his sleeping clothes and fell into bed. He mumbled into his bedding and looked at his watch again. 02:37 am. "That was a long day." he mumbled and then fell asleep.

" he mumbled and then fell asleep