Chapter 16 / Yibo - The man he deserves!

It was Thursday morning and Yibo was not ready to start the day. At the thought of his work, he already had no more desire. He had been staring at the monitor for hours the last few days, watching his target do nothing. Nothing at all, he sat at home in his garden and got drunk. Nothing else happened. Slowly it dawned on him how tough it was for the agents in the surveillance center. They sat there every day, watching their target, writing reports, recording, and watching again.

Yesterday, Yibo noticed for the first time when a target was transferred. On the big screen, they could all watch live how an access took place. How they approached the target, made arrangements, formed a formation and finally the access took place. It was all done with routine and professionalism and Yibo thought for the first time about how Zhan had repeatedly demanded this kind of professionalism from him. But Yibo was just looking for fun. He also wondered if they had been watching their bets on the big screen.

When Yibo openly admired the stakes with Tao Long during the break, he told him that Zhan was also a professional and that Yibo could become just as professional if he made an effort. Tao Long had also told him that he had watched some of Zhan's and Chuyue's performances and how they proceeded, how he admired that these two young men worked together so professionally and quickly. Yibo had worked with both of them and knew their methods and more than once was speechless, how they understood each other even without words. He wanted to learn that too, he wanted to be just the same, to be a professional and to become Zhan's partner again and prove to him that he can be like that. That he can rely on him.

Yibo drove to work, Tao Long was already waiting for him and told him that he would get a new target, because his target committed suicide last night. But since a new target has to be found for him first, they both had some time left and so they went to the canteen together and got some breakfast. Tao Long explained to him with his mouth full, some codes that are used for access. Yibo stared in disgust at the chewed food, from which every now and then a crumb of it would steal away and land next to Yibo's coffee cup, trying to remember the codes. But that was easier than done if he couldn't turn his gaze away from his trainer's mouth.

When the otherwise quiet atmosphere in the canteen suddenly changed and many of the agents suddenly started talking in disarray, Yibo turned his gaze away from the mouth of his trainer and looked around. And then he saw him, after days without contact and accompanied by two strangers. A beautiful young woman and a handsome man. Both seemed very close to Zhan, too close for Yibo's taste. For the woman was hanging on his husband's arm and the man had put his arm over Zhan's shoulder. Yibo stared at Zhan, his heart was beating like crazy and he would have loved to run to him immediately. But Zhan and his two companions came towards them. Yibo felt his cheeks blushing and he suddenly felt nervous.

Zhan suddenly seemed so hard and cool. Somehow Yibo turned it on. When the three were almost there, Tao Long stood up abruptly and bowed low to Zhan, pulling Yibo off his chair and glaring at him sincerely. "When a higher agent arrives, you must greet him properly and bow down." He said to Yibo.

Zhan: Ah Special Agent Tao Long, I'm plainclothes here, all good. Good to see you.

Tao Long: Xiao Zhan, good to see you too. And I see Special Agent Park Seo Joon is visiting. It's an honor to meet you. And who is this young lady?

Seo Joon: Thank you very much and it's an honor to see you too. Your reputation is well known even in Seoul.

Xiao Lan: My name is Xiao Lan. Zhan's future wife.

Zhan: Shut up, don't always say crap like that. She's my cousin and is visiting me for a few days.

Xiao Lan: ZhanZhan, that wasn't nice of you now.