Chapter 2 / Yibo

Chapter 2 / Yibo

Yibo had not failed to notice that Zhan had seemed a little tense lately. Something was bothering his husband, but when he asked him about it, Zhan had nothing more to say but that everything was fine. Yibo sensed that this was not true and wanted to surprise Zhan with a weekend trip to a spa hotel. He hoped Zhan would relax a little and be back to his old self.

On Friday afternoon, they had both just finished work after delivering their target and doing the paperwork. They arrived home together, each in his own car and as soon as they were in their apartment, Yibo presented the surprise to Zhan. Yibo was happy to see how much Zhan was excited and looked forward to the weekend ahead.

Zhan had already packed a bag for both of them, as he had to pack his suitcase anyway, as he had to attend a workshop and training for the agency for a few weeks on Monday. It was, as Yibo thought, the right time for this weekend, where they could have time for each other again.

But maybe Yibo would have better mentioned beforehand that his family would also be there because he had invited them as well. Soon, he would go on a family vacation together with them. So it was only logical for him to invite the four as well. But Zhan saw it a little bit differently.

Shortly after Yibo's family arrived at their apartment, Zhan picked up his phone and started typing. Then he looked up, went to the bedroom and took his bag away again. Yibo ran after him and wanted to know what was going on.

Zhan: Ah yes, I completely forgot that I have another appointment this weekend. Also, the agent I am supposed to go to the training with, is arriving tomorrow.

Yibo: And that only just know came to your mind?

Zhan: I am sorry, I am really embarrassed. But I really forgot about it. You go with your family and have fun.

Yibo: Are you sure?

Zhan: Yeah, sure. Come on, they are waiting.

With a queasy feeling in his stomach, Yibo agreed. He hugged Zhan goodbye and then went back to the living room, took his bag and left with his family. Only later, when they had been on the road for almost an hour, did he notice that he had not given Zhan a kiss or even say that he love him.

Only very slowly Yibo seemed to realize that Zhan's bad mood might have something to do with him. But he put this thought aside for the time being. He didn't want to ruin his weekend unnecessarily. After all it was all about relaxing.

On their last day at the Wellness Hotel, everyone went to the swimming pool and had a good time. Except for Yibo. He couldn't get rid of the thought that Zhan might be angry with him. He just didn't understand why.

Stepmother: Hey Yibo, why are you sitting here lost in thought instead of having fun?

Yibo: Oh, nothing. I'm just wondering if Zhan is mad at me.

Stepmother: Why do you think that?

Yibo: He's been in such a bad mood lately and that's why I wanted to surprise him with this weekend and he was happy too. But all of a sudden he remembered that he still had an appointment.

Stepmother: Think about it. Did you tell him that you are bringing your family to your weekend?

Yibo: No, why?

Stepmother: Well, your husband must have thought that you two would do something together.

Yibo: Mmm-hmm... you think so?

Stepmother: Well Yibo, ask yourself how it must have affected him. How much time do you spend alone with Zhan?

Suddenly something in Yibo clicked and he understood what his stepmother was getting at. She was right, he had neglected Zhan a lot lately. Was it that what made him so discontented? If so, why hadn't Zhan just told him?

On the way back home, Yibo stopped at a 24 hour open market and bought some of Zhan's favorite snacks. He had planned to talk to Zhan and spend the evening with him, just him and his husband. It was their last evening before Zhan had to go away for a few weeks to this workshop.

But already when he arrived at home and parked the car, his plan failed. Actually, he assumed his family would get in their car and drive home, but instead they accompanied him upstairs. Fearing to offend them and that they might think he was rejecting them, he said nothing and let them come with him.

At the top of the apartment door, Yibo unlocked the door, entered the apartment and expected to see Zhan there. But this was not so. Instead, there was a note on the table. "Could not reach you by phone, have received a new mission. Contact me, Zhan." It was written on it.

Yibo stared at the note, took out his phone and realized it was off. How could he have missed something like that? He plugged it into the charging station and turned it on. Several messages about missed calls and a few text messages from Zhan. But before dealing with these, he called his supervisor and wanted to get an explanation from him as to why Zhan was on a mission alone, without him, his partner.

Boss: We have tried to reach you again and again. But your phone was off.

Yibo: I didn't realize that the battery was empty.

Boss: I don't know how it is possible that you don't notice, but it doesn't matter anyway.

Yibo: Where is Zhan now? I follow him.

Boss: No need. We put another partner at his side, I think at this moment he must have landed in India to meet his partner there.

Yibo: India? That means it will be a longer mission?

Boss: Between two and four months, at least we expect.

Yibo was shocked, not only that Zhan went on a mission without him, which would take longer, although Zhan promised him not to accept these missions anymore. But also that he didn't even have the chance to talk to Zhan before and at least to say goodbye.

Angry, sad and frustrated, Yibo read the text messages from Zhan. "If you are reading this, please call me. It is urgent." It was in the first message. "Please come in now, we have a new mission!" Was the second text message. The other seven messages had almost the same content. But the last one scared Yibo.

"Okay, I see. If you don't care about me anymore as husband and partner, just say so. I don't feel like waiting for you to tell me that you don't love me and don't want me anymore. Zhan."