Chapter 7. / Zhan - We're gonna get you!

Zhan had no idea what was going on at home, or rather at Yibo, and had no time to think about it. He and Jiang Cheng were close on He Peng's heels. It was easy to see for he and Jiang Cheng. Because He Peng and his companion left dead bodies on their way.

The more He Peng felt cornered, the more unpredictable and brutal he became. The last bloodbath was the worst he had ever caused. And the shock of Zhan and Jiang Cheng when they found the corpses was still deep days later.

They were hiding in the house of a simple family. The four family members were apparently held hostage. It was probably the little girl, who was only seven years old, who had to die first. Her big brother, 16 years old, must have wished to be dead. Because what He Peng had done to him was cruel.

He must have brutally tortured the poor boy for hours and raped him several times, as the coroner found out. And on top of it all, He Peng probably let his parents see it all. Because their death occurred after the bodies of their two children were already cold.

"We'll get you!" Jiang Cheng hissed when he saw the bodies of the two children. They bashed the girl's skull in, the boy, after torturing him and raping him, strangled him and left him to die in agony. They put bags over the parents' heads and let them suffocate.

This sight was once again an incentive for Zhan to finally find He Peng and make sure that he would die in agonizing manner. Hand him over? No way! He would make He Peng pay for everything. No one would be able to stop him. And once they got the okay from the agency, no one would ask questions afterwards.

Their next target was Jerusalem. Because according to an informant, He Peng had moved there with another Chinese. Their way led them first to the capital, a few days later they went on to Haifa. But again they were too late and by chance they met Park Hae Jin who was there for another mission.

They hadn't seen each other for years and the last information Hae Jin had from Zhan was that he had disappeared and there was no evidence that he had ever lived. All the more surprised he was, of course, when Zhan stood in front of him. Together with him they traveled to Tel Aviv, where Hae Jin also had to go.

Zhan was astonished to hear that Hae Jin and Seung Joon no longer had a relationship. Apparently there were some problems with them which in the end led to them only arguing and in the end they drew their consequences and separated. However, there was already someone new in Hae Jin's life.

Hae Jin said the only thing he would miss was sex. Yeah well, Zhan couldn't judge that, he thought. When Jiang Cheng met with an informant, Zhan spoke to Hae Jin about his concerns about Yibo. "Hey, just tell him not to forget that he has a husband and should fulfill his duties as this." Hae Jin had said laughing

They didn't have much time to talk because Jiang Cheng came back with new information. Apparently He Peng was one step ahead of them again and already on his way to Arad. Here the ways of Hae Jin, Zhan and Jiang Cheng separated again, they said goodbye to each other and then the two, meanwhile best friends again, set off for Arad.

It was a race against time for both of them, they knew that He Peng knew that they were close on his heels and he didn't get tired of making many wrong tracks and so they realized with disillusionment that He Peng had led them around by the nose once again.

So they followed another trail and then another and another without really achieving anything. Now they had been after him for more than four months and still no end was in sight. Instead they got to know more of the world. Because their next destination was the Arusha in Tanzania.

Zhan was in Tanzania for the first time, he met the Massai for the first time. A group of people who live in the large parts of southern Kenya. Here too, the two agents from China attracted attention like colorful dogs. Everywhere they were stared at, some out of curiosity, others out of fear and for other reasons, those who did not want to think about the two.

It was difficult for them to find someone who could speak and understand English. They were forced to get a translator to help them with the interviews. However, it was inconclusive, because nobody had seen He Peng. Maybe they were wrong here after all?

They were already planning their departure when one of the workers came to them from a construction site and told them in bad English that they were the second foreigners he saw today. He told them that the other two foreigners were also in this hotel and he heard one of them talking in English to someone on the phone and telling the person that they were on their way to... Costa Rica.

Hastily they reported this to the agency and got the OK from them to fly there. They called a taxi after they packed their bags. The agency had already booked their flights and they only had to pick up their tickets at the airport. But before they got into their taxi, Zhan ran to the man who gave them the information and slipped him some money. The man started crying and thanked him several times.

They got into their taxi and a short time later they reached the airport, picked up their tickets and off they went. "On to the next unknown place. Costa Rica, here we come." Cheered Jiang Cheng and did not even try to hide his sarcasm. Zhan could understand him well, he too had enough. Sure, it was nice to get to know a little bit more of the world and most of the time they met some nice people, but he missed his home very much.

It was the middle of the night when they landed in Costa Rica. An agent of the Black Agency, one of those errand boys as Zhan called them, was waiting for them and took the two tired agents to their next accommodation. Unlike the many times before, they were not put in a hotel or a tiny apartment. Now they were in a house that belonged to the Agency and finally they had a clean bathroom with hot and cold running water again.

As Zhan lay in bed, it felt like he was lying on a cloud. After he showered, he got into bed and fell asleep immediately. But he didn't have much time to sleep. For only five hours later he received a call from the agency. Apparently He Peng got himself a rental car and used one of his identities which he had used three times before. Either he forgot which one he had already used, or he ran out of fake identities.

 Either he forgot which one he had already used, or he ran out of fake identities