Chapter 4 / Yibo - The New Agent

Yibo was pissed. No matter how many times he asked to be allowed to contact Zhan, or at least be told what his mission was, he was turned away. Not that he worried that Zhan wouldn't make it, he knew that Zhan was the best in his profession, but still worried. Also because Zhan wrote him this message. He wanted to talk to him and reconcile with him.

After one week, which he spent mostly in the office, Yibo got a new partner. And it was the new agent in the agency, of all people. The agent who had never been on field duty before and instead had been sitting in front of the computer for the last few years. On top of that she was incredibly clumsy.

She followed him around like a puppy his master and sometimes really got on his nerves. But he told himself again and again that he had to stay calm. She is a beginner. She is still learning all this. He himself was in the same position a few years ago. But he had a good teacher. And he decided to be a good teacher for Lee Qing as well.

But she didn't make it easy for him. Their first mission together almost went wrong because she had forgotten her cover while observing. Then an arrest went out of control, if it hadn't been for that civilian who helped him, that asshole would have escaped. Then she should interview a witness who was also a suspect.

Lee Qing: You didn't want to be part of this gang, did you?

Witness: No.

Lee Qing: You only joined them so they wouldn't attack you, right?

Witness: Um, yes.

Lee Qing: They must have threatened you and joined you out of fear? Weren't they?

Witness: Yes, it was like that.

So Lee Qing had not only put words into the witness's mouth, but also provided her with excuses for why she joined a gang, why they committed robberies at night. Yibo wanted to make it clear to her that interrogation doesn't work that way, and that they couldn't get any information because she was only repeating or confirming what Lee Qing told her.

As soon as he told her this, the agent started to cry bitterly and Yibo got a bad conscience. He took the blame and Lee Qing stopped crying. On top of that, he also got trouble from his superior. The giant called him into his office and yelled him down.

"Why did you let her do the questioning? Do you realize that we have nothing on the gang now? Do you realize that we have to let these assholes go? And above all, don't let Lee Qing touch anything. Their clumsiness has already cost the agency nearly $100,000. Teach her how to be a good agent. Roared the giant and struck his huge fist so violently on the table that it cracked suspiciously.

To get to know Lee Qing better and to take some of her nervousness away, Yibo decided to spend some free time with her. He invited her to dinner and a movie. To go for a walk with her. Bought her ice cream in the park and they talked a lot. Eventually, he even took her home to his family. Although his stepmother didn't like that.

Stepmother: You don't forget you're married, do you?

Yibo: Of course not.

Stepmother: Well, I just want to make sure. Because you don't seem like colleagues to me.

Yibo: Huh? We are colleagues and friends. Nothing more.

Stepmother: Are you sure about that?

Yibo: Of course, why do you ask?

Yibo patted his ring finger and froze for a moment when he realized that he was not wearing his ring. His cheeks turned red. Hastily he took his ring out of the change pocket of his wallet and put it on. His stepmother and also his father watched him thoughtfully and head-shaking.

Yibo had been a little embarrassed, especially when he had thought about when he had taken the ring off and just didn't want to think about it anymore. But for him it was clear, he and Lee Qing were just partners and friends. He still loved Zhan and that would not change. And certainly not for a woman!

The following days and weeks passed in a flash. Yibo missed Zhan very much and thought about him a lot. He wondered where he was now. How he would get along with his partner. What a mission they both had. When he would come back home, and so on and so forth. But he was also grateful to be able to distract himself at work.

He and Lee Qing had their problems in the beginning, but after three or four weeks, they finally got their bearings and became a good team. Not like him and Zhan, of course. But still better than some other teams. Anyway, their rate was above average and that made Yibo happy. Zhan could be proud of him when he came back.

They had been a team for 9 weeks now and Yibo did not miss the comments of his colleagues. "Look at him. His partner's gone and he's getting a new one." - "He should be ashamed to cheat on his husband with a colleague. Poor guy's on a mission and his husband's doing his new partner." - "I wouldn't have thought he was such a good man, so you can be mistaken. I just feel sorry for Zhan." - "He gave his husband the cold shoulder a long time ago." Were some of the nasty comments of his colleagues.

Yibo tried not to let this get to him. He had nothing to reproach himself for and assumed that the others were only jealous of his and Lee Qing's success. Of course he was sad and horrified when he heard how his colleagues thought and talked about him, but he didn't let it get to him. Let them talk, he knew that there was only Zhan for him.

He had said the same to his family when they repeatedly asked him about the close relationship between him and Lee Qing.

Father: I am only asking son.

Yibo: Yes of course. But why? I mean shouldn't you know that there is only Zhan for me?

Brother: Lately, before Zhan had to leave, things looked different.

Yibo: How do you know?

Brother: I'm a lawyer, I see these things.

Yibo: For me there is only Zhan, no one else!!!

Sister: But does he know that?

The question of his little sister made him realize again that Zhan obviously thought he didn't love him anymore and didn't want to be with him. He had already forgotten this, because he had been so busy in the past weeks that he had not thought about it at all.

 He had already forgotten this, because he had been so busy in the past weeks that he had not thought about it at all