Chapter 5 / Zhan - Off to Argentina

Zhan and Jiang Cheng had been chasing after He Peng for 8 weeks now. But he kept escaping them. As soon as they got a new clue, they left. When they arrived there, they found out that He Peng had escaped again. Sometimes he had escaped only a few hours before, but sometimes he had left a day or two earlier.

As a special agent who was once one of the top 6, He Peng knew exactly what he was doing and how he could escape his pursuers again and again. That had been clear to Zhan and Jiang Cheng. Moreover, he knew them very well and so they wouldn't even be able to follow him secretly, if they would finally find him.

Since a couple of days the clues were missing. And Zhan wondered where He Peng had ended up. Maybe to a provincial town where nobody had noticed that He Peng was wanted? Was he still in or near Moscow? Had he disappeared somewhere else in Russia?

Jiang Cheng spent his free time with a Russian student. Of course both had to be very careful, because homosexuality was more than just not well regarded here in Russia. However, it did not stop them from dating each other. Zhan found the student quite cute. A little too shy for his taste, but he didn't have to date him either.

The more time passed, the more he thought about his marriage with Yibo and whether they had really reached the point where it couldn't go on. Especially when he saw Jiang Cheng and his friend, these thoughts came to him. When your own marriage was at stake and then also with a partner you still love more than anything else, then it hurt even more to have to watch others sharing their love.

Nevertheless, Zhan tried to suppress these negative thoughts of himself as best he could when you had so much free time, and to concentrate on the here and now. There was at least a 50% chance that Zhan was wrong and Yibo still loved him.

At three o'clock in the night they received a call from the Black Agency, apparently there were indications that He Peng had left the country and was supposed to have been seen in Argentina. As quickly as possible, they packed their things, drove to the next airport, while driving, Jiang Cheng talked on the phone with his friend, and booked the next flight to Argentina.

After they landed in Argentina all the fun started all over again. Get billeted, meet with informants, go through files, read data, interview witnesses. They traveled all over the country.

From Rosario, to Mendoza, then to Buenos Aires, from there to San Juan and finally, after four weeks there, to La Plata. And always He Peng was one step ahead of them. Until finally chance brought them back to life. They simply decided to trust their gut feeling and traveled to Santa Fe.

They went to a small but really nice restaurant and ordered something to eat. When the waiter came to bring them their order, he looked at them questioningly. And in broken English he asked them if they were looking for their Chinese colleague!

Zhan: Yes, why? Did you see him?

WAITER: Yeah sure, only two hours ago. He lives in the pension down the street.

Zhan: Is this him here? (He showed the waiter a picture that wasn't of He Peng)

Waiter: No, it's not him. He has such a weird smile that makes your blood freeze.

Zhan: And that? (He showed the picture of He Peng)

Waiter: Yes, that's him. This guy was here, and he seemed so creepy.

Zhan and Jiang Cheng had their food wrapped and did thank the waiter for a big tip, which he refused to accept at first. But the two insisted and so the waiter gave in and took the money, but not without mentioning that he would share it with his colleagues.

They went to their car and drove along the street to the pension. They entered and questioned the manager of the pension. She explained that a guest from China had been with her since last night and that he had paid for the room for two days. At the moment he was not there because he had left the pension with another guest, also from China, as she suspected, to see the city.

The old lady offered them to call her when He Peng and his companion are back. Zhan and Jiang Cheng gratefully accepted the offer. They handed the old lady a card with her phone number and left the guesthouse. They knew that He Peng would leave immediately if he saw the car parked right in front of it. Even if it's a rented car, he'd know they found him.

They drove around in their car and waited for the old lady to call. But that day, she never got back. They knew that He Peng would soon move on again since he had rented his room only until the next day. But what could they do now? Near the guesthouse, there was nothing to hide.

On top of that, it was already night and their car would attract even more attention now. On foot they couldn't do anything either, because what if they had a car? Somehow they had to get from one place to another quickly. Besides, there were two of them. Should they walk through the streets with both of them? No, they guess not.

When the old lady hadn't called until noon the next day either, they decided to drive back to the pension and visit her again. But what they found was not necessarily what they expected. They entered the pension and there was nothing to be seen of the old lady. But a certain smell fell into their nostrils.

They went from room to room and finally they found the old lady. Lying in her own big pool of blood with her skull bashed in, in the room she had probably rented to He Peng and his companion. In her hand she still held the card with the phone number of Jiang Cheng. In her other hand she held a telephone.

After informing the police and identifying themselves as agents, they made their statement and mourned for the innocent old lady. They felt so sorry that she became a victim of this madman. And for her, they swore that they would find He Peng and let him bleed for it.

 And for her, they swore that they would find He Peng and let him bleed for it