Chapter 22

• Dedicated to Shania Elias

Chapter 22:

Melissa's POV:

I entered the house only to find Rachel sitting on the couch with red puffy eyes, her mascara all spread over her face and her hair standing in all directions.

Mark was sitting on the adjacent couch with his head in his hands. I just stood there for a minute unsure of what was going on, at a loss of words.

"What's going on?" I finally said.

Both of them acknowledged my presence but neither of them answered.

As if on an impulse I went and sat next to Rachel and wrapped my arms around her. Yes she was not my most favourite person in the world but seeing her like that triggered something in me, and she really was in a miserable conidition, I wanted to comfort her.

I patted her shoulder lightly and asked her what was wrong.

I could hear no words, only sobs getting louder by the minute.

"Rachel, why are you crying? What's wrong?" I asked her.

"We broke up." Mark said, with no emotion at all.

"You guys broke up? Why?" I asked, shocked.

Just a week ago Mark had proposed to Rachel and now they broke up? What in the world was wrong with them?

"Why?" I asked.

"Because she cheated on me." Mark spat.

"I did not" Rachel said at the same time.

She started crying even harder, if that was possible. Mark just stared at the wall, anger evident on his face.

I, for once, had no idea what to do!

"Rach, Mark sit down and tell me, without crying and without shouting what happened, and Mark, what makes you think Rachel cheated on you?" I asked, trying to sound reasonable."

"She kissed someone else!" Mark said, his words malice to Rachel's ears.

I stood up in surprise. As much as I knew Rachel, she could be a bitch sometimes but she loved Mark too much to not cheat on him. She would never do that. If she was one thing, it was loyal.

"Mel I swear on you I did not kiss Ted. I was tricked." Rachel said.

"Rachel you are not a kid who can be tricked into kissing someone!" Mark shouted.

"But I was!" Rachel cried.

"Rachel, Mark shutup! Mark, atleast listen to what Rachel has to say." I said, trying to assert some supremacy.

Mark sat down on the couch and I went and sat next to him. I patted his back in an effort to sooth him.

"Rachel, what happened?" I asked her patiently.

"We were in the hallway and Ted was coming towards me. He was always trying to make me fall for him since the first semester but since I was with Mark he knew I had no such intention and that he stood no chance. But he never gave up. He used to always try and fill my ears with Mark's vices, as if I didn't already know that! He didn;t stop his flirting and I was growing tired of it. I didn't tell Mark because I didn't want him to get into any fight with Ted, Ted had alot of back. Anyway, the other day while we were in the hallway Ted came up to me and started a general normal conversation and the next thing I knew he was kissing me. Just like that. I tried pushing him away but he kicked the side of my leg making me trip. I grabbed his shoulder to prevent hitting the ground. He continued kissing me, and just then Mark came and saw this. Since I had hold of Ted's shoulder Mark thought I was willingly kissing him. But I swear to you Melissa I wasn't. I was tricked..." Rachel narrated and fresh tears started flowing from her eyes.