Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

Daniel's POV:

I headed to the kitchen to fetch myself a drink and from the corner of my eye I could see Melissa hugging Ryan. 

His face was buried in her hair as she comforted him. 

They then moved on to the front porch as I gulped down another beer.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

7 beers later I could feel my vision blurring and I had difficulty in walking straight.

I sat down On the nearest chair and started counting backwards from thousand for the sake of concentrating on something.

Melissa still hadn't come back inside and their catching up was getting on my nerves today.

"Damn it was your own idea." I thought to myself.

"Daniel" I heard someone call out my name.

I turned around and saw Melissa standing with teary eyes.

Melissa's POV:

I hesitantly walked towards Ryan. What would I say to him after such an abrupt separation?

I took a deep breadth and took the final steps towards him. Ryan looked at me and weakly smiled.

I was now standing in front of him. Automatically, my arms wrapped around his torso, and thankfully, he hugged me back. He buried his face in my hair as tears

build in my eyes. I stepped back and saw that the weak smile was replaced with a cold expression once again.

"Let's go to the porch." he said curtly.

I followed him out to the porch where I had been sitting with Daniel just a few moments ago.

He turned to me and said,

"Why are you here Melissa?" He asked in a cold tone.

"I... um... I..." I stammered.

His cold tone had really affected me. Tiny sobs began to form as I stared at him. W

Where was the Ryan I had known? How about the hug that he had given me inside?

"I am best friends with your girlfriend." I said, a bit sober now. 

"You are Sharon's bestfriend?! The Mel she keeps on talking about? Mel... Melissa... Oh!" He said, with an expression of total confusion on his face.

I couldnt help but laugh at just how cute he looked due to this coincidence.

"That's life..." I muttered.

"Why did you go away?" I asked Ryan.

"That's none of your business..." He said in the rudest tone he could manage.

"Ryan, are you really saying that to me?" I asked, in a weak tone.

"Yes Melissa, why I went away is none of your business."

I stared at him with tears flowing down continuously. I clenched my hands into fists unsure which feeling dominated my emotions more: anger or hurt.

I questioned my decision to make an effort to talk to him when apparently it was none of my business to know why did he go away.

What had happened that Ryan had changed so much? His eyes were so different, so cold... His tone was so formal and his words were hurtful.

"How is Charlie?" I asked in weak tone.