Chapter 14:

Daniel's POV:

I woke up in my car in a very uncomfortable position. The sun was directly hitting on my face as the windows were rolled down.

Why was in the car? Why had I been sleeping in the car more importantly?

I sat with my head in my hands as i tried to reason out everything. My head ached like anything, I could do anything to get rid of it right now!

Yeah, that was the thing with me. I was not a very frequent drinker, I drank only rarely and whenever I did, even one beer managed to give me a hangover.

I rolled up my windows and got out of the car and headed to the door.

I knocked on the door and found a really furious mom on the door. 

"Yes Daniel?" She asked in as professional a tone as she could manage.

"Um, can I come in?" I asked.

She stepped aside and I got in.

I knew she would be glaring at me, so bad my shirt could burn!

"Mom can you say what you want to say and get over with it already?" I said.

"What do you want me to say? That you acted very immature last night? I expect you to already realize that. I didn't really think you were into alcohol. I have raised you better than that!" She said.

"Mom! I am not into alcohol for crying out loud! I just had some beer last night, it was not such a happening party." I said and walked back to the room.

"I dont expect it to happen again Daniel." Mom shouted.

I went up to the room and took a shower. Once changed I came down to the kitchen to eat. 

My head was still throbbing with pain. 

I took out some pop tarts and put them into milk when mom came and gave me a pill to relieve me of my headache.

"I think I'm gonna go to Melissa's and apologize for last night..." I said with ym mouth full of pop tars.

"Dont talk while you eat." Mom scolded. "By the way I think that's a good idea, she wasn't very happy last night either."

That's when I remembered that she had come to me with teary eyes, she sure was upset about something.

"How did she go home last night? I asked and suddenly felt very guilty for being the irresponsible jerk that I had been.

"I dropped her home." Mom said.

Honestly, I wasn't so surprised. As much as mom and Melissa hated each other, in honestly, they just didnt like each other very much. They were only a bit over the top. One day they'd get along really well, they both had the some horoscope after all!

"Thanks," I said as I put the bowl into the sink. "I'll be back in a while." I said and turned to the door to head out to her place.

My headache was much better now that I had eaten and had taken the pill. I rolled down the windows and drove to her house.

I entered her drive way and instantly regretted coming here. 

Ryan and she were sitting on the front porch and talking, happily.

Ryan was back.

Ryan was back for good.

Ryan likes her too obviously.

Why would she need me anyway?

With these thoughts in mind I put the car into reverse and headed home.

Ryan's POV:

Last night had been such a restless night. Damn, I still couldnt believe I met Melissa last night. She out of all people had come to my party. 

Even though I had been dying to meet her since I had moved back here, I knew I couldnt 'cause seeing her would bring back the memories of the happy days and I knew I was better not recalling them.

But she was Sharon's best friend.

Seeing her yesterday paced my heartbeat to such an extent that I thought my heard would come out through the shirt. 

She was so beautiful, way more pretty than last year. I had seen her just as soon as she had walked in, and I was so excited that I jsut wanted to hold her then and there and talk to her for days. My heart longed to tell her everything, but my mind knew better.

I avoided all contact with her till as long as possible, but Sharon had to introduce me to her best friend, her 'Mel'. And who knew Melissa would be Sharon's best friend?!

When I met Melissa all the memories came rushing back.

I could bet that she must have been thinking about last summer too. I just knew her that well.

NO! My mind snapped. You have moved on, you dont need her anymore.

I tried to pretend to be as unfriendly as I could manage.

And then I saw that guy with her, his name was Daniel I think.

An emotion I never had acknowledged earlier start rising in me: Jealousy.

I felt jealous when he and Melissa went out on the front porch. I felt jealous when I saw him wrap his arm around Melissa. I felt so jealous that I could literally beat him to pieces.

I only controlled myself and tried to be a good host.

After a while I saw Melissa walk towards me. She looked so hopeful that for one moment I let myself lose it and actually hugged her back when she wrapped her arms around me. It felt so complete, so natural to have her to myself, to hold her so close. She felt like home, something which I hadn't experienced since well over a year... Well since...

But I also knew that I wasn't the same person anymore. I was much more cold, distant, short tempered, rough... I wasn't the same easy-going Ryan that I had been earlier. And so I snapped at her, as bad as I could.

But Melissa... She was my friend, a very good friend... She was Charlie's friend too. She would have been there with me through it all... if only I had stayed...

Shit! I moved away, she didnt. I ought to talk to her, I have to tell her, I cant treat her bad. I cant treat her the way I did last night. She deserved better.

Yes, I had to talk to her.

I quickly changed and drove off towards her house. I could remember her house very clearly.

I ran to the door and rang the doorbell. I kept on ringing the door bell until she opened. Maybe I need something to keep me from backing out and going away.

She opened the door still in her swears with messy hair. God I loved the way she looked!

"Ryan?" Melissa said, shocked.

"Um hi... Can I come in?" I asked.