Chapter 38:

Chapter 38:

Melissa's POV:

"You are a mad boy Ryan! Hang up and enjoy the beaches." I said to RYan on the phone.

"Oh boy, how bad?" Ryan asked in a falsetto voice and I chuckled.

"Bye Ryan!" I said, a smile forming on my lips.

"Bye athlete!" he said and I hung up.

After i had come home from the race I had decided to call up Ryan. Now that I knew everything it was for me to call him up and apologize for the not-so-nice action of 

spilling hot chocolate over him and not hearing him out earlier.

Ryan was too good a friend to lose over such trifle misunderstandings.

Besides, it had been a while since I had spoken to Charlie.

Ryan and I had sorted everything out, we were as good as earlier; except maybe now he was also my best friend's boyfriend. For real this time.

Anxiety preoccupied me as I laid back down and closed my eyes to sleep. Tomorrow was the day of hurdles. I'd never been this uneasy before a race in all the years that 

I had been participating. Something just didn't feel right and I couldn't pinpoint to what that something was.

Too restless, I got up and went down to the living room and propped down on the couch.

I had been watching television for over an hour at the lowest possible volume when Rachel entered the living room and flickered the light on. She had a terrible case 

of bed hair and it took every ounce of my self control to not laugh on seeing her.

Noticing the uncomfortable almost broken-into-laughter expression on my face she said with a frown,

"I know my hair looks terrible. You dont need to suppress your laughter. I'm used to your brother teasing me about it."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." I said, not wanting to laugh at her face.

She shrugged and sat down next to me.

We sat in comfortable silence for a while.

"So, Mark laughed at your bed hair instead of telling you how sexy you look?" I asked, smirking.

"Not all couples are cliche Melissa, and not all guys are knights in shining armour, not your brother atleast." Rachel said in a teasing tone.

"Hey now dont underestimate my brother. You never know, the knight in shining armour might be disguised in cowboy hat and straw boots." I said.

"Last checked, it was straw hat and cowboy boots." Racel said, cracking up into laughter.

"Yeah well, whatever." I muttered, my lips slowly curving into a smile which only caused her to laugh harder.

Once she had clamed down she gazed at me intently and asked,

"So why are you not asleep again?"

"I'm too restless to sleep. Anxiety about tomorrow's race has taken it's toll on me." I said, grimacing.

"You, my dear, need something to distract yourself. Call up Daniel." She suggested.

"He is out with his dad. I dont really want to interrupt their bonding." I said.

"Well, Sharon?" She asked.

"Asleep already." I said.

"Well then, lets discuss my wedding!" She exclaimed, clapping her hands together like a kid.