Chapter 39

Melissa's POV:

The whistle blew and I started the run. I knew I didn't have to go too fast, it'd only tire me in the beginning.

The first hurdle was as easy as peas (if that's even a comparison!) and the second hurdle? I jumped over it pretty gracefully too.

There'd be seven hurdles in total, we all knew and the third one was a little away from the previous one.

Increasing my speed, I ran faster eyeing the next hurdle as if my life depended on it.

As I moved along the track my thoughts drifted to the plans we had made last night for Mark's wedding. My mind was, all of a sudden flooded with the million dresses 

they would make me try, all the arrangements that we'd have to make, the worthy vows Mark and Rachel would swear, the pride which will shine in dad's eyes.

It was strange as how my eyes filled with tears, even as I ran because it suddenly dawned on me that only dad's eyes will shine with pride, mom wont be here to witness 

her son get married, or her daughter get married either.

When mom was still with us Mark had been so close to her, and even Rachel had told me the other day just how much he missed mom.

It is so unfair that the people whom we love so dearly are sometimes not with us, and we cant really express our gratitude or love towards them. It seemed so unfair 

that I couldn't even get to know my mom properly, that I had no mom-daughter memories to cherish, that my mom wont embarass me in front of my boyfriend, or on my 

graduation day.

Tears clouded my vision and what happened next is probably a mixture of my misfortune and the major deflection on my part.

Not noticing the proximity of the next hurdle I tripped on it, causing my knee to chafe as it collided with the rough edge of the hurdle. I winced in pain but soon 

reovered as I realized the magnitude of what had happened.

The other runners were now far ahead, and I had to buckle up.

Not caring of the pain anymore I ran like my life depended on it, not looking in any other direction even once.

My kneww throttled in pain but I paid no attention to it.

I jumped over the remaining four hurdles, trying to maintain my calm and not cringe from the burning irritation as I bended my knee to jump.

Jumping over the last hurdle I realized I still had the chance to secure one of the top three positions.

I sprinted towards the end, the wind crashing against my face, missing the third position barely by a second.

Disappointment washed over me as I cursed and walked towards the sidelines. If only I had not gotten distracted I would not have tripped.

The tears trickled down my now flushed cheeks as I refused to make eye contact with anyone, ashamed of the blunder I had caused.

Hurdles were my thing, they had always been my pride and I had let the race slip out of my hands, just like that.

My emotional breakdown could have waited, right?

Wiping away the stream of tears I fought my way to the side as the audience rushed to congratulate the winners.

I collided into somehting hard, and I looked up to see Daniel staring at me.

He instantly wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face into his chest.