Turn Around

Will's heart raced. He pursed his lips and clenched and unclenched his fists, trying to take deep breaths. Wind was ruffling his hair up, and he growled at the cold. Nico's words were playing on repeat in his mind like a broken record, but he was still struggling to understand them. He was satisfied, wasn't he? Didn't he have everything he'd wanted? Wasn't a home and a job and a companion enough? The more he thought about it, the less certain Will felt. He took another breath, watching his shoes as he mindlessly kicked a small black rock. He was technically a prince, Nico was right about that. And he would have been king if he "could produce an heir", as his father put it. And although he knew Kayla would rule decently, it would be years until she even made it to the throne, and he knew he had more experience than she did anyway. It should be me up there. I wouldn't lock people up for no reason. I'd be a good, fair king. I know I could be better than him. His foot slipped and he missed the rock, but kept walking, eyebrows furrowed in thought.

Thin, delicate fingers weaved into each other like yarn, curling and uncurling before untangling from each other, and Nico stretched before slouching over again, fiddling with his hands. He'd known that it was a bad idea to say anything, but he'd let his big mouth loose anyway, and had probably killed Will's dreams in the process. He probably didn't even want Nico to stay with him anymore. Nico took a deep breath, curling into the side of the couch even further. It smelled like new leather- just another reminder of everything he was going to lose. His throat started closing up, a tight feeling in his chest, and he let out a dry sob that could have passed for a cough. He wondered when Will was coming back, and if he should be there when he returned. After a minute of heavy breathing, he chided himself for being so weak and vulnerable, even though he was alone, and stood up. Pull yourself together. He pulled his sweater closer and walked out the door.

A couple hundred steps found him back at the door of the bakery, and he stopped in surprise. The shop was closed, but Nico unlocked the door and stepped in anyway. His shoes were silent on the tile. What am I doing here? He fiddled with the lights before dimming them so customers wouldn't think they were open, and headed towards the back room, the smell of sugar pulling him towards the pantry. Clouds of flour rose into the air as Nico started moving ingredients to the workstation, not really thinking. He let his hands measure out mixtures of flour, sugar, baking soda and cornstarch before adding water and butter. He closed his eyes and kneaded the dough, smiling at the feeling of the sticky mixture between his fingers changing consistency. He put the dough into the fridge and measured out some blueberries, biting his lip as he stirred in sugar and lemon juice before setting them aside. Then, his phone started ringing. The buzz caught him off guard and he jumped, washing his hands quickly and drying them on his pants.
"Hello?" He cleared his throat self consciously, realizing this was the first time he'd spoken since his crying fit. "Hey." The voice on the other side was smooth and mildly enthusiastic, almost apologetic.
"Oh, hey. What's, ah, what's going on?"
"Nothing, I was just calling to apologize. I didn't send you the check this week and I'm sure you were wondering about it!! It's just been a little tricky with rent and the mortgage, but I promise I'll send it today. Oh! What's your new address?"
"Rach, don't worry about it. It's no problem. Ah- would it be okay if I texted you the address? I don't know it by heart yet but it's on my phone."
"Sure thing. And Neeks?"
"Yeah?"
"What's wrong? I can hear it in your voice." Even though she wasn't in front of him, Nico shuffled awkwardly. "It's- ah, it's nothing. Will and I had a little falling out, but don't worry about it. No big deal."
"Okay, then. I hope you guys make up soon, I want my favorite baker happy!! Love you Nico."
"Yeah, you too Rach. See you."
He smiled as he turned the phone off. Rachel's voice has comforted him a little bit, and he marveled at how quickly they had become close friends. Chuckling, Nico put his phone down and finished prepping his mini pies.

The door opened with a loud slam, and Will flinched. He hadn't meant to push so hard, but the energy coursing through him after his realization was overwhelming. "Nico!!" He called loudly into the house, and for the first time he cursed at the fact that there was more than one room. "Neeks! Nico!!" His voice echoed off the walls and bounced back to the front door, but there was no response. "Nico... where the hell are you?"