Play Hooky

Nico and Will sat in his room quietly.  Nico fiddled with a strand of his hair, the one that kept falling.  They had stopped the game after Will's question, and hadn't talked since.  They contemplated their situation, and both of them knew that the other was thinking about the past. 

"Prin- Will?" Nico corrected himself. 

"Yeah?"

"I should probably go."

"Oh. Yeah, ok." 

"Goodnight." Nico closed the door behind him as he left.  Will gave him a slight wave before his face disappeared behind the shadow of the wall.  He sighed, not wanting to go to bed just yet.  Maybe he'd go to the library.  Yeah.  That's what he'd do.  Will checked the halls before he slipped out, wearing his hood over his curls.  He turned the corner and went down the stairs, taking the shortcut through the servants quarters as not to draw attention. Will crept past Nico's room, knowing he would still be awake. Then he saw the big doors of the library and sighed softly. He ran his fingers across the books, some old, crisp pages, and some new, still waiting to be broken in. He slipped one out- an old favorite about Greek mythology, one that he had read a million times but never got tired of it. He sat back in a comfortable chair and opened it. As his eyes ran across the pages, his lids started slipping and he found himself dozing off.

Will woke up in pitch darkness. He blinked for a moment before closing his book and setting it down on his chair as he stood up and made his way back to him room.  Will knew his way around the castle like the back of his hand, navigating it in the dark was no different than in light.  As he slipped through the servants quarters again, he heard something.  It sounded like sniffling.  Then there was a scream, and it turned into wrecked sobs. Will, curious, followed the sounds until he was pressed up against a door.  Nico's door, he realized.  He heard a gasp and loud, shaky breathing, and then it was silent.  Will continued back to home room, wondering what had upset Nico so much.  His thoughts wandered away from him as he lay down on his bed.  It was 3:59 in the morning. 

Nico sniffled.  It was just a nightmare.  A horrible, terrifying nightmare, but a nightmare nonetheless.  It wasn't his reality anymore.  He took a few calming breaths before laying back in bed, his eyes directed straight at the ceiling.  He didn't close them for fear of returning to his dystopian dreams.  He checked the time.  It was 3:40 in the morning. 

The crying echoed in his dreams that night.  Will shot awake, unable to hear it again without breaking down.  He felt so horrible, like he should have gone in and helped, but he also felt like he would have been overstepping his limits.  He supposed Nico wasn't too bad anymore.  He was just standoffish and kinda scary at first.  But once you got to know him, he was almost nice.  Will paced the length of his room.  I'll just see if it happens again. He decided, still guilty.  Nico knocked on the door.  That was his cue to jump back on the bed and look sleepy, mumbling a "come in" and pretending to have just woken up. 
"Sorry, Will. Did I wake you?" He asked formally.  Will raised his head to look at him and raised an eyebrow, knowing his words weren't really his.  Nico huffed.  "You know what? I don't care, get your lazy butt up and get dressed, you're going to be late for breakfast." There we go.  Will hadn't heard this side of Nico since the ball, he kinda wished he would see it more often. 
"Thanks Nico." He called as Nico closed the door and pretended to leave.  He knew Nico would stay and wait though, that was just one of the things about him.  Like it or not, he was loyal and trustworthy, and he would wait.  So Will took his time getting ready, and opened the door to leave just as he was slipping his shirt over his head.  Nico turned his head away.  Will ran a few fingers through his hair to tame his curls, then he went to breakfast and Nico went to the kitchen. 
The crying continued that night.  Will got to know Nico more and more during each day, becoming more casual with each other but not any friendlier.  Nico continued crying the next night.  Will spent the nights in the library. 
Will paused the fifth night outside Nico's door.  His heart raced, probably because it was late and he was nervous.  The screaming had turned to quiet tears.  Will silently turned the knob.  He had prepared himself to go and talk to Nico, but instead he backed up and closed the door again.  Nico was standing with his back to the door, something in his hands. He stared down at it and a tear splashed from his cheek onto its surface. Will felt like a trespasser.  He quickly turned and ran back to his room. 

Will groaned loudly.  "I have to go to this ceremony today for something or other.  I hate them, I always have to dress up.  I wish I could just miss it, it's not like they would notice my absence anyway." Though he said it, he wasn't even considering skipping it.  Until Nico voiced his thoughts.
"Just skip it."
"What?" Will frowned.
"Skip it.  Play hooky.  Leave, take a day off. Do I have to say it any other way?"
"I can't skip it!"
"Why not?" Nico tilted his head.
"Well, because... because..." Will pondered for a moment.  Because what? Nico was right, wasn't he?  "Yeah." He said quietly. "Yeah, okay.  I could get out of the castle today.  I've always wanted to see out there.  But...  mom would kill me if she found out I went out alone.." Will grimaced. 
"I could go with you.  Then you'd have a royal escort who doesn't want to ruin your day." He shrugged nonchalantly. Will immediately brightened at the idea.
"You could? Thank you so much!" He exclaimed.  He jumped on Nico and hugged him, forgetting their history.  Nico stood in shock before prying Will off him and chuckling quietly. 

Will was warm. His touch instantly let warmth flow through Nico's body.  A rush zapped through him.  It felt nice, actually.  It reminded him of the dream he had had of Will so long ago.  Then Nico remembered who he was and shook Will off him, letting out a soft laugh.m and covering his mouth with his hand.  Nico hated his smile and laugh.  Will froze.
"What?" He asked.
"Nothing. Just... you laughed."  A smile spread across Wills face.  "I've never seen you laugh before.  Like, actually laugh."  Nico rolled his eyes. 
"Well, my bad.  I didn't mean to."
"Nah, you should do it more often.  It suits you."  Will kept his grin on. 
"Oh, shut up."  Will shrugged and led Nico out through the servants quarters.  His breath caught as he passed Nico's door, but he pretended nothing happened and kept walking before Nico could notice. 
"What day is it?" Nico asked Will.
"April 1st. Why?"
"Just wondering.  Sometimes my town has these small celebrations, you would like them, but not today." A small grin spread across Nico's face.  Memories of this day flashed through his mind.  It was April fools day.  The best day of the year.  And it was time to introduce it to the prince. 

Will breathed in the fresh air, smiling.  He knew he went outside often, but it was different from when he wasn't locked up in the castle.  Now he felt free.