Leaving

Nico yelped as he woke up, the light barely reaching his small corner in the cell as it squeezed through the bars on his window.  The figure who was leaning against the door was still there, awake.  He didn't say anything.  Nico stood up and walked to him.
"What do you want?" The figure didn't turn around.
"Now, is that how you speak to someone who's trying to save you?" Nico could tell the sentence was spoken with a smirk.
"Will. I don't need your help."
"Too bad, sunshine. You're getting it, whether you want it or not." When Will turned around and faced him, his face was a beautiful as ever. The only difference was the smudges of dirt on his cheeks. He smiled sarcastically.
"Then get me out of here, your highness." Will was wearing this really great grin as he wrapped his fingers around the bars.
"Watch me." He kneeled to the lock on the door and slipped a key from up his sleeve, but instead of letting Nico out, he stepped in, locking the door behind him. Nico almost shouted in protest. "Relax, I'm not done." Will took off his cloak to reveal a pillow. Nico raised an eyebrow. Will stuffed the pillow under the ledge and draped the cloak over it. After a couple minutes of adjustment, Nico had to admit it looked a bit like him.
He was almost offended.
Then Will, being the tall prince he was, stood on the ledge, leaning towards the wall, and lifted himself up onto his toes, clicking the key into the lock on the window, pushing the bars out.
"Come on." He waved Nico over rapidly and lifted him up. Nico's heart raced as he stepped off Wills hands and dove through the window. He fell for a moment and panicked, before looking down and finding himself face to face with the quickly approaching water. He didn't have time to gasp before he fell through. Will landed with a splash next to him. Nico fought for breath, but eventually just gave in.

For a second, the only thing Will saw was the murky green of the water. Then he saw someone next to him, floating, no, sinking, lower and lower into the water. His dark hair drifted peacefully around his face, and he looked morbidly angelic. Will shook himself out of his trance and propelled towards the young boy in front of him. He hooked his arm around him and used the other to swim to shore. They flopped onto dry land and almost immediately Nico's eyes shot open. He gasped, then sputtered and coughed. Wills chest heaved as he lay resting for a moment, then he heavily stood up and pulled Nico with him.
"We have to go. Now."
"Where are we going? And why couldn't we just have gone out from the door? And what about my sister?"
"Bianca?"
"No! My little sister Hazel! She's only five! I can't leave her! She's alone.." Nico felt a sliding tear on his face, and realized he was crying.  What would Hazel think of him..? A murderer? Would she want to be with him? Would she believe that he killed Bianca? Nico shuddered, letting the tear drop onto his shoe.  Will turned to face him.
"She'll be okay.  I promise, she'll be okay. But we have to leave here, or you'll be caught. As for the door, we wouldn't have made it. The security system is crazy good. I would know, I designed it."
"You.. what?"
"My dad's idea of learning to rule. That was before he discovered I was gay, and my sister got the throne."
"Well that's fair." Nico said sarcastically. He hated the fact that people wouldn't accept a gay king.  Will shrugged.
"Nico?"
"Hm?"
"Do you know... Octavian?" Nico didn't respond.  That name... that name haunted him. "What happened between you?" Will asked gently.  Nico shrugged now, trying to act collected.
"I'd... I'd rather not say. So what's our plan?"
"We're leaving the kingdom."