Home

Though he had done it a million times now, touching the doorknob this time was like resting his fingers on a block of ice.  Nico's hand retracted quickly, but he took a breath and tried again. Will's comforting touch on his waist brought him down to earth and the door swung open. As much as they had hated it at first, the boys had come to love this tiny room. This inn was their home. They had eaten countless meals in the restaurant beneath their room, shared stories with their neighbors, and sat in bed together talking about the life they would share when they could finally leave. Now, at last, the few possesions the boys owned would be moved out of their home and organized in a new place. A place they prayed would satisfy them as much, if not more, than their one bed and leaky roof. 
"Go on, Neeks." Will's breath hit Nico's ear, and he felt himself flush. After a few months of living in this kingdom, Nico had finally understood what he was feeling towards Will, and he hated it. It reminded him of his old life, his old home, his sister. His dead sister. And it reminded him of a dream he had had, once, a long time ago. He refused to give in. He wouldn't live in peace while his sister had died in the chaos. So even though on the outside, with Will's hand on his hip and his breath in his ear, he looked settled, he raged inside. 

Will knew something was wrong the day they had chosen the apartment. He remembered vividly how cold Nico's eyes were, how much they looked like what they had looked like the day Bianca died, the day Nico was sent to prison. That look alone had chilled him to the bone, but the way he felt about Nico would never change. They were happy now, right? They had a new life. A new everything. They could live in peace.

They stepped into their new home as opposites. 

Light streamed into the unfamiliar building. It seemed strange to have a place, with more than four rooms, filled with belongings-  actual items that were theirs, even though Will had been a prince in a castle not even a year ago. He reached out to Nico, putting his hand on his shoulder. The other boy was stiff. "Neeks. I know something's not right. Tell me, please."
"I don't know what you mean." Will led him to the living room and sat down on the couch. Nico's head dropped lazily onto his shoulder. "Tell me, Nico. What's wrong?"  Nico sighed. It was quiet for a minute. Finally, he spoke. "Are you satisfied, Will?" The question caught Will off guard. "Huh?" 
"Are you satisfied? I mean, we both work now, we have a nice home, we can forget our past and move into a new future." Though he wasn't making it obvious, Will found the smallest hint of contempt in Nico's voice. "You're... not?"
"No, Will. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, this place, being with you! It's amazing, more than I could've dreamed of back at the village. But I can't forget what happened. And I can't forget Bianca. Don't you want to see things through? You were a prince, Will. You deserve to be a prince again. You deserve to be a king. And I need to find Octavian. I need to find answers for my sister. This life is amazing, but Will, it's not who we are. We can't run away anymore. We can't. I thought this was what I wanted, but... it's not." Will was quiet.
"It's not what you want, huh." Now Nico was nervous. The other boy pursed his lips as if about to respond, but instead just stood up. 
"I'm going to take a walk."
"Do you want-"
"No, you stay here." 

The simple words pierced Nico's heart like a javelin.