Caught

Nico ran his fingers through his hair, pulling at the tangles.  Will ran up and stood beside him, staring up at the palace gates. 
"My parents are going to kill me."
"Eh. If they get mad, it's all my fault, and the worst that could happen is I get fired."
"But I don't want you to get fired.  Half decent work is hard to find nowadays." He smirked. Nico shrugged.
"Have it your way." They entered the castle.

"Where have you been!" A furious King Apollo stormed up to them as soon as they closed the door quietly behind them.  "You missed all your responsibilities.  Don't you know by now you can't just do whatever you want?! You're a prince!" He put his hand on his forehead, exasperated.
"Sorry, dad.  I just-"  Nico stepped in front of him.
"It was my fault. I encouraged him to go. I'm sorry."
"Nico, no!" Will protested.
"Is this true?" Questioned the king. Nico nodded in confirmation.  "Fine.  Nico, you're fired. Will needs his head to stay on his shoulders." Nico but his lip, nodded again, then bowed, preparing to leave.  Will whipped around and grabbed his sleeve, holding him in place. 
"Dad, no! It wasn't his fault.  It was mine, he just volunteered to go with me so that I would still be guarded.  He took the blame, doesn't that show a loyal servant? He can't go, please."  Apollo looked them over- a prince begging for his servant to stay, and a messy boy being held on to for dear life.
"It's fine, Will." Nico murmured.
"No it's not." He hissed back.  Apollo sighed.  If it was really what his son wanted...
"Fine. He can stay, but I'm putting you both in the stocks today, so you can learn your lesson. Will sighed in relief, pulling Nico back to him. 
"Thanks, dad." Nico raised an eyebrow, smiling at Will.
"You know, your highness, maybe you're not that bad after all." He mused.  Will laughed and tilted his head.
"Maybe you really are worth keeping." He teased back.  Nico smiled.  It was a nice feeling.  Then a man burst into the room, a messenger.  He placed a letter in Nico's hands, then left quickly, glancing back now and then.  "What does it say?" Will peeked over Nico's shoulder, but still couldn't see.  Nico's eyes narrowed as he read the paper. 
"No... no.." he muttered.
"What?" He looked up at Will, his glossy brown eyes brimming with tears.
"My sister's dead."