Small Victories

Nico's eyes widened, not daring to turn around. His intestines were alive with butterflies, and he prayed that Will couldn't feel it through his skin. He closed his eyes and let himself exhale deeply. Behind him, Will shifted in his sleep, his bare arm sliding further around Nico's waist and his breath hitting the back of his neck.

"Oh, my god. Oh my god, oh my god." Nico's head pounded with the three words. That was it. He slid out from Will's grasp and carefully got off the bed, tugging his clothes back on and praying to God that Will wouldn't wake up.

Will woke with a shiver. For some reason, he felt colder than he had all night. He sat up groggily and rubbed one eye with his palm. Nico was sitting on the foot of the bed, his head practically in his hands. "Mornin'." He turned to face the blonde.
"Yeah. Morning." Nico sat up and shifted on the bed. "I was thinking, maybe we should start looking for jobs or something today? If we are staying here, that is."
"Mmm. Good idea." Will swung his legs over the end of the bed and stretched, standing up. "I've never worked before. I hope it's not too hard."

"You can do it. Just think of the things you like to do, and of the things you're good at doing." Nico averted his eyes as Will started putting his clothes back on.
"Okay. What do you think you'll do?"
"I don't know. I used to work in a bakery, so I can bake. Maybe that'll help." Will extended a hand to help Nico off the bed and the two of them left the room. "I hate that room." Will looked back at their door with a groan, and Nico smiled. "Better get used to it, Sunshine. That room is going to be home until we can afford a decent place."

We? Will pursed his lips. When they left the room, they were moving in together? For some reason, the idea pushed its way from the back of his mind to the front. He hadn't even realized that Nico had stopped walking, banging into him from behind. "Oof. Sorry."

"We should.. split up here, right? I mean, if we both want jobs and all. We can't really work in the same place, can we?"
"Right. I'll uh, I'll meet you back at the room at around sunset? If we haven't had any luck, we can try again tomorrow." Will slipped his hand into Nico's, squeezing it. "Good luck." He let go and started walking down the street, marveling at the all stores lining the cobblestones. So many possibilities.

Nico clenched and unclenched his fist absentmindedly. He wandered down the road, staring into the glass windows of the stores he passed. Maybe one of them needed help. A sign caught his eye a few feet ahead- Rachel's Bakery. He had experience there, maybe that would work. He pushed the door open, praying silently. He knew how to get a job, but all he needed was a little luck. The room was empty, save for a woman standing at the counter.
"Hi, welcome to Rachel's Bakery, I'm Rachel. How can I help you?" She smiled sweetly, then raised her eyebrows. "I haven't seen you around here, are you new in town?"
"Ah, yes, actually, I just got here. It's been quite a journey from home."
"I can imagine. We're pretty far from any other town. How did you arrive?"
"I walked."
"Wow! You must be exhausted from the trip then. Do you mind if I ask you your name?"
"Yes, sorry. I'm Nico." He let out a chuckle. She was already warming up to him- this would be easier than expected. "Nice to meet you, Rachel. My first friendly face in town. And a lovely one at that." He winked jokingly. She'd offer any time now.
"Ooh." She grinned back. "Lovely to meet you too. Let me get you a tea- sit down, sit down."
"That'd be great, but I'm afraid I can't pay for it. New life, you know. Starting over."
"Oh, don't even worry about that! This one's on me." Rachel grinned and walked into the back of the store, shouting a little over the sound of running water. "So what do you do?"
"I used to work in a bakery. Much like this, actually. Of course, not anymore."
"I assume you don't have a job? If you don't mind my asking, that is."
"No ma'am. Like I said, I'm completely new to everything here. Still looking, you see." Getting closer...

"So, perhaps, that is if you don't mind, you could work here. I could use the help, and we're pretty busy in the springtime. It's good pay. Completely up to you, of course." There it is. Nico smiled, standing and extending a hand. "That'd be great, thanks so much. When should I start?"

"Tomorrow, from 9 to 5."

Sunset came and passed, and Will hadn't returned to the room yet. Nico was starting to get worried. He tapped his foot on the floor, slouching on the bed. An hour must've passed before the door swung open again. "Will, you idiot! I was worried sick, what the hell kept you so late?" He stood abruptly, grabbing the prince by the hand and pulling him inside.  Will laughed, taking the opportunity to twirl the shorter boy and hold him a little closer. "Small victories, Nico. I got a job. My first ever job!"  All the anger Nico had been holding in suddenly melted, and a small smile replaced the frown that had been resting on his face. Will was right. Small victories. So he pulled Will onto the bed, sitting next to him.
"Tell me all about it."