Meeting You

Will frowned. 
"Kayla!" He called to his older sister. "If this ball doesn't work out, I am not getting fitted again!"
"Sorry! I don't particularly like it either!!" She called from her room.  It was the night before the ball, and Will was standing in front of the mirror wearing a white suit.  He hated it, but wore it to please his family. He nodded at the man with the fabrics and he left so Will could change.  Will slipped into a pair of sweatpants and a t shirt.  He kept thinking of the ball, and how he didn't want Kayla to get married yet.  She was 19, just a year older than him.  Kayla had pretty, tan skin and natural blonde hair.  Being a princess, she dreamed of being even slightly less formal than normal, so she had died it a pretty green color.  It took ages to convince their parents.  She was normally happy, and loved archery.  Will flopped onto his bed.  All the eligible young men in the kingdom were coming.  There was a strong chance both he and Kayla would meet someone, but only Kayla's relationship would work.  He knew that for certain.  He closed his eyes.

Will squirmed.  It was only a few minutes before the royal family was to enter before the guests, and though he had done it thousands of times before, he never liked it. 
"...The royal family!" The doors opened and King Apollo, Queen Naomi, Princess Kayla, and Prince William glided out before the public.  They flashed the trademark smiles and went on to greet the guests.  Will looked at Kayla.  She was wearing a pretty, royal blue dress that scrunched up at her waist and flowed down to her crystal heels.  Her hair was piled up in a bun, with strands framing her face. Her selection wasn't too bad.  Most were wearing dark blue, grey, or dark brown suits, clean, sharp hairstyles, and plastered smiles.  Will sighed, not being able to look at any of them for too long. They were all the same.  The only difference was hair and skin color.  He smiled politely and nodded at guests, shaking hands and introducing himself.  Then something caught his eye, and he turned.  A boy around his age, wearing a pitch black suit and a tie, was standing in the back of the room. He had black, messy hair, as if he didn't bother making it.  That was new.  His back was pressed against the wall, his arms behind his head.  His legs were crossed, and his eyes were staring blankly upwards.  How refreshing.  Will decided to go up to him.  He weaved through the crowd, smiling and nodding.  When he made it to the boy, he lost his voice.  He stood in front of him with his mouth open for a moment.

Nico saw the boy in front of him and almost gasped. He looked almost exactly like the boy in his dream. He smiled, then realized who it was- the prince. Nico's joy turned to bitterness.

"Cat got your tongue?" The boy smirked.  Then, without another word, he turned and started walking away. 
"Wait!" Will shook himself out of his trance and put a hand on his shoulder. The boy stiffened, the pushed his hand off.
"Don't touch me."
"Sorry.  I'm Will Solace."
"Your highness," the boy mocked a bow.  Will ignored it. 
"What's your name?"
"Nico Di Angelo." He kept walking.
"Where are you going?"
"Home?" Nico didn't even look over his shoulder at him. He just ran his fingers through his hair. 
"But you just got here!"
"Your point being, your highness?"
"Don't call me that."
"I'm sorry, Prince Will."  What was with this guy? He was such a prick.  Will shrugged.
"Whatever. Your choice." Just to get the last word, he adjusted his crown on his head, and politely added, "I hope you have a wonderful evening, Mr. Di Angelo." Then he walked away.

Nico froze when he hear the prince say that.  He knew that he had been kind of rude to him, but that? He wished he had been smart enough to think of something like that comeback!  He knew from the start he hated the guy.  Nico walked away, muttering with his head down, and bumped straight into someone else.
"Ugh-" he looked up. "Your highness! My humblest apologies, I wasn't watching where I was going." He bowed.
"Don't worry dear, it's quite alright. What's your name?" When Queen Naomi spoke, it sounded like music. 
"Nico Di Angelo, your majesty."
"Well Nico, call me Naomi. Come walk with me?" She asked. Nico knew it would be rude to deny her, so he followed.  "Tell me about yourself, dear." He gulped quietly as they walked out of the ballroom and into the gardens.
"Well, Your- Naomi, I'm from a small town a few hundred miles from here.  I live with my two sisters- one of them, Bianca, is 19, the other one, Hazel, is almost 6. We live in a small house- our parents left us a long time ago. I work at a bakery. Bianca takes care of Hazel while I'm gone, so she doesn't work, and Hazel's too young."
"Your parents left you? Poor dear. I assume you're not that well off then?" Nico sighed.
"No, ma'am."
"You're a good boy, working so hard. So why did you come today? For the princess?" Her eyes twinkled. She really was a beautiful queen.
"Um, actually, no."
"Really? Why's that?"
"Because, see... I'm actually.. I'm gay." He spoke very quietly, almost hoping she didn't hear.
"Oh?" She had a playful look in her eyes. "So then why did you come?"
"For my sister. She wanted me to come for the food. See, we almost never have food at home, so she said I should take the opportunity." She laughed, and his nervousness faded.
"Well, as much as I hate to admit it, it is a good reason. I like you, Nico. I have a preposition, and I hope you accept." They stopped walking and she admired a flower.
"Yes, your majesty?"
"Naomi." She corrected. "How does this sound? We will send money to your family every month, and you are free to stay with us here in the palace as a manservant." Nico pondered her words and laughed inwardly. In less than two hours he had managed to befriend the Queen and make an enemy of her son. Wow. He smiled.
"As much as I appreciate your offer, Naomi, I would have to ask my sister first."
"Of course. Just call her."
"Actually, I don't have a phone."
"Oh, dear. You can use ours."

"Bianca?"
"Nico!!" How's the party? I miss you-"
"Hey Nico!! I miss you! Come home!" Hazels voice rang over the phone. Nico laughed.
"Sorry, Haze. I might be here longer than expected. I miss you too, Gem. Can you give the phone to B?"
"Okay!"
"Nico, what's up?" It was Bianca this time.
"Bianca, as strange as it seems, I made a friend."
"Good! Who?"
"The Queen."
"What?!"
"And she offered for me to stay at the castle and work as a personal servant, and she would send you guys money every month. Should I do it?"
"Oh, Nico!! Of course you should do it! That's incredible. Of course, we'll miss you, but visit, okay? We'll be well off, at last, and you get to stay in the castle! This is life changing!" Bianca exclaimed.
"I guess.. but the prince is a minus. He's so annoying!"
"Suck it up, you're living in the palace!"
".. okay. Fine. I'll miss you. Love you. Tell Hazel for me. Bye, I'll visit soon!"
"Bye, Neeks. I'm so proud of you." The phone beeped as she hung up.

"Your majesty- about your offer-"
"Yes?" The queen turned.
"I accept." She beamed.
"Good! You can start tomorrow- tonight, I'll have all your things sent over."
"I don't have anything else."
"What?! Oh, then we'll have to get you some clothes!"
"Naomi, I'm fine, thank you."
"No buts. Thank you for accepting, Nico." She smiled. "Now, I'll take you to see who your serving." They walked for a while in silence, Nico hating his stiff suit more and more by the minute, until Naomi stopped.
"Nico, meet my son, Prince William."