A Letter

Nico sat, drumming his fingers on the table.  Bianca and he had just made breakfast, and because there wasn't much food, he had, as always, given his share to Hazel. 
"Nico, as a growing 18 year old you need to eat." Bianca sighed in protest.
"I'm fine, B.  Trust me. Besides, I'm going to be late for work." Nico kissed Bianca's cheek, hugged his five year old sister goodbye, and softly shut the door behind him, beginning his walk to the bakery. He was the only person who worked in the family, so he fed Bianca and Hazel. They lived in a shabby, small house with one bedroom and a kitchen. The only clothes he had were black and worn out- with the exception of a suit left by his father that he never wore.  He trudged to the door and swung it open.
"Nico! Right on time!" Nico's friend Celeste hugged him as he entered.  She was a wonderful, elderly woman who made the best baked goods in the kingdom.  Not literally, but they tasted like it.  He laughed and hugged her back.  "Nico, you haven't been eating again." She clicked her tongue disapprovingly and handed him a croissant from the bakery.  He protested, but ended up eating it gratefully.  In return, he handed her a coin.  She pushed it back, but he closed her fingers around it.  Then they went into the front room to sell the bread and pastries. 
Nico, tired, slouched as he walked home that night.  He slowly closed the door behind him and tried to sneak off to the bedroom, but Bianca caught him just before he entered.
"Nico!!" She grabbed his arm and yelled.  He jumped.
"Shh! Hazel's sleeping!"
"No I'm not! I'm wide awake!" Hazel beamed. 
"Well you should be!" He playfully scolded her, ruffling her hair."
"I can't sleep! You have to go to the palace! I don't want you to go, Neeks." He scrunched his eyebrows. 
"I'm not going anywhere, Haze."  Bianca pulled something out.  A letter.
"No, look.  When you were gone today, a man from the royal castle delivered this to us- it's an invitation!!" She squealed.  "It says:" she cleared her throat. "Attention! Her royal highness, the princess Kayla, is hosting a ball on January 28th.  She is inviting all young men in the kingdom eligible for marriage, and shall choose her groom the next day.  Please arrive by 6:00 sharp."
"I'm not going." Nico huffed.
"Come on, Nico, you have to go." Bianca shoved his shoulder.
"For what? Bianca, you know I'm not into girls."
"If not for the princess, then go for the food!! We never have food that good here. Plus," she added, "All the young men in the kingdom? You're bound to find someone pretty amazing."  She wiggled an eyebrow.
"Bianca!" It was his turn to push her.  He turned away and hid a smile as he leaned against the wall of their old home.  "Fine. I'll go, but just for the food."