Chapter 23 - My BFF & I {}

_____________________________

T W O    M O N T H S    L A T E R ...

"Happy birthday bestie!" Lina grinned and wrapped her arms around me.

"Thanks! I'm now finally twenty-five  years old!" I grinned slicing my piece of cake that lay untouched on my plate.

After I began working at the boutique, Lina stopped being so harsh to me and we actually bonded and became really good friends. She taught me how to do my hair nicely and most importantly according to her to have the ability to dress to impress.

Lina was a big fashionista. She loved fashion and enjoyed dressing the mannequins that stood at the shops' windows. Her style caught the attention of many people and they popped in and asked who was behind the task.

Lina, with the help of Melanie, helped me get over Brandon Hawthorne and helped me get over losing one of the most important people in my life besides my parents of course. She introduced me to her family and they welcomed me with open arms and made me feel welcome.

Lina and I became really close. We confided everything in each other. I told her about my parents and she told me about an incident that happened to her when she met a pedophile online and tried to meet him in real life. Often, Lina, Mel, and I would all go have fun by attending parties or having sleepovers at one another's houses. We all grew really close and at times I really missed Lissa's presence. I had cut Lissa out of my life because Brandon was her brother and I know she didn't deserve that but I didn't want any reminders. Brandon was still a fragile topic for me.

Hagatha also helped me out a lot. She rented me her extra apartment which happened to be near the boutique which really worked out. She rented it to me at a very low price and she helped me settle in. Three months ago I had signed a contract to buy the apartment from her so every month I paid a specific amount that was also specified by the contract. In five years I would be the sole owner of the apartment. I would then be able to do what I want with it, not that I can't already.

I felt very spoilt by Hagatha. She was like a true second mother to me.

"C'mon Ley! Let's pose for the camera!" Lina said, Mel and I smiled at her front camera. I fixed my hair and smiled at the camera.

"Cheese!" I grinned.

"Cheese!" Lina said.

"Popcorn!" Mel yelled and then stuck her tongue out.

I was dressed in a short black leather skirt that had a gold chain hanging by my waist. I was wearing a white tank top and a black leather jacket. I had velvet black high heels to match my whole outfit.

Lina was dressed in a black short tight dress, which she had bought from the shop we both worked at. She paired her outfit with shiny gold peep-toe high heels.

We posed for several more photos. Lina added them on her Snapchat and Instagram stories.

"Happy Birthday Babe," My boyfriend whispered in my ear as he wrapped his arms around my waist handing me a wrapped gift, "I hope your twenty-fifth year on earth will be the best year of your life!"

"Thank you!" I blushed to accept his gift which was neatly wrapped in my favorite color.

"I tried my best to wrap the damn thing!" Darren said with a sigh.

"It's wrapped wonderfully!" I said tossing the gift in between my hands.

"Aww!" Lina cooed when she spotted us, "Stand together and let me get a picture of you two together!"

I smiled and posed next to my boyfriend.

"I knew you guys were meant for each other!" Lina sighed.

I laughed, "Thanks, Patricia!" I winked at her.

"Ashley Hayes! I told you to never, ever, ever call me by second name ever!" Lina hissed glaring at me with murderous eyes.

"I will not," I said, "Not anywhere you can hear me," I added hoping she wouldn't hear me but Melanie burst out laughing.

"Good," She said giving me the stink eye.

"You still not over your photography madness, Line?"

"For goodness sake! My name is Lina and not line!" She said.

"I can call you what I want, Line!" He grinned.

Lina rolled her eyes and ignored him. I knew the banter was friendly, Lina and my boyfriend got along really well. They often teased each other as any brother and sister would. Melanie was still a bit cautious of him because she knew the story about our past but she could see that he brought out a happier side in me when he was around. It warmed my heart to see my best friend and boyfriend get along really well.

My boyfriend, Darren Gradley, who was once my ex came back into my life. He asked me on a couple of dates over the span of a month. We've been dating for about three weeks now and are still going strong, although hearing or seeing Brandon in the news caused an aching pit in my stomach I chose to ignore it and just move on.

A girl like me was never meant for someone like Brandon Hawthorne anyways.

"What are you thinking about?" Darren said tucking one of my blonde strands behind my ear frowning.

Darren wasn't supportive of the fact that I had dyed my brown hair blonde and he hated the fact that I chopped it off 'til mid back. He was a firm believer that my brown long hair suited me better.

"Nothing." I shrugged.

"I'm proud of you hon." Darren said pulling me into a hug, "You managed to accomplish a lot in your life."

"Thank you Darren." I said inhaling his scent that was so different from Brandon's, "You accomplished and succeeded in a lot too!"

"Thank you for being my motivation," Darren smiled.

"Thank you for being mine too," I said.

I was shocked when I saw Darren get on one knee in front of me, he took my left hand and held it in his. I heard Lina distinctly shriek about taking a video.

"Listen Ashley," Darren began, "All those years ago when we first met, I was amazed by your beauty and grace. It was true love at first sight and although I screwed up a lot, here you are in my arms being the loving and the world's most amazing girlfriend. These three weeks have been the best three weeks of my entire life. I'm glad you accepted me into your life again and I will try for the rest of my life to be the man you deserve. The man you'll cherish and love.

"Ashley I want to grow old with you. Sit on the porch while both of us have grey hair watching over our grandchildren. I want to hold you in sickness and in health. I want to continue my life... this journey that I am on with you. I love you, Ashley.

"Will you do the honor of accepting this ring and being my wife?"

I hesitated with my response. Yes, things were going great between us but could he be trusted? Was he the 'one'? Was I truly over Brandon? It was at that moment I decided that no life lived in fear was worth living. Besides, I could change me mind at any time as long as we weren't married.

I smiled, "Of course Darren. I love you too!"

He got up off the floor and pulled me into a hug before he caught me off guard and kissed me like there was no tomorrow.

Hey Guys!

When my best friend read this before I posted it she told me to call the chapter "Plot Twist" but of course, I refused and called it: 'My BFF & I' which I personally thought was more fitting.

Anyways, how did you find this chapter? Was it the least bit surprising or did you expect it?

Don't forget to comment (I read and respond to all of them in my free time) and vote!

Thanks for reading!