Chapter 7 - Best Friend's Mistake{}

_______________________________________________________________________________

The past few days at work were hectic. Brandon, at work, was a very different person. He was very calm and cracked no jokes. In three weeks I watched him cruelly fire seven employees because they weren't efficient or there was some fault in what they did.

I was afraid that in a few weeks' time it was going to be Melanie or myself. I always finished the work he gave me. Tried my best to not make mistakes. Lissa, Brandon's sister, was great company. Many people liked her which wasn't surprising because she was a very sweet girl, oozed charisma, confident and was intelligent and very pretty.

"I can't believe you are willingly let me drag you to a nail parlour, Ash!" Melanie said as she powdered her face.

I shrugged, "I want to do something for you Mel. I know you like doing things like that. Besides, you need to learn to cherish what you have because before you know it will be gone forever,"

"Ashley! Don't think like that! Please," She pleaded with me and packed her handbag.

"I'm not. It was just a thought. A harmless one. I don't want to lose you Mel, you have been with me through thick and thin," I said and she pulled me into a gentle hug.

"You won't Ashley. You won't," Melanie promised, "Let us head out now, don't want to be late for our appointment,"

"Of course," I said laughing just a little.

My mother had lost all her siblings. She always told me to cherish others. To have courage and be kind. She loved helping everyone, we visited orphanages, hospitals, kindergartens and she let me spend time with them to play with them and have some care free fun. My mother was a great woman and I have always blamed myself for her and my fathers death.

They were great people and sometimes I wish I could have gone with them. I didn't. I stayed alive to endure torture. The last image I had of my parents were my fathers pale blue face and my mother's colourless eyes as she muttered the words 'I Love You' to me one last time before her head hung.

Every now and then I got images from that night. It haunted me. Sometimes, I was afraid to close my eyes at night. I know that all this had transpired years ago but the memories all replayed in my head as though the traumatic event had just happened yesterday. My therapist had told me that the pain you harbor doesn't decrease in size, but rather your heart increases and you are able to make peace. Some do it quicker than others.

"Ashley hurry up!" I heard Melanie and I ran out the room clutching my small black leather handbag Uncle Sam, my father's brother, had gotten me for my nineteenth birthday.

"You look pretty, Ash. Now let's get our nails done." Mel said and I headed out to her car. We headed to Sorbet and got our nails done. We had our nails painted blue with little dolphins on. They were the cutest thing ever.

We decided to catch a movie in the cinema and then went home.

"Ashley it is your turn!" Mel said.

I knew what she was talking about. My turn to cook dinner. Last night Mel did it so today I had to do it. I made some lasagne they way i liked it. While I was setting the table I heard a gentle knock on the door. I went and opened it surprised to find Brandon and Alessio standing there.

"Hello, there Ashley," Alessio greeted.

"Ashley!" Brandon said hugging me squeezing all the oxygen out of me.

"Can't Breathe," I managed to wheeze out and he let go, letting the oxygen whoosh back inside.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.