Chapter 10 - Phone Checks & Trust Issues {}

"Don't be nervous," Brandon leaned in and whispered in my ear. I nodded.

Out of sheer nerves I straightened out my dress for the millionth time today and I tried to look confident, well as confident as I Ashley Hayes could possibly be.

Brandon held my arm and smiled at the couple heading toward us. Brandon's mother, as I assumed, was dressed in an elegant navy blue dress that swept the floor and the man to her right side whom  I assumed was Brandon's father was dressed in a matching suit holding her by her arm. They looked so perfect and elegant next to each other that it was hard to believe that Brandon's mother was never a rich girl from the start. She looked like she belonged in the world of wealth, it was as though that world was made solely for her.

"Hello dear," she greeted me as I smiled at her in a shy manner. Mrs. Hawthorne seemed to have a friendly face and a nice smile that was inviting.

To be honest, she was the one I was dreading to meet. I had heard many stories of women who absolutely hate their monsters-in-law sorry... I meant mothers-in-law. I had expected the same from her but so far she has proved me wrong unless she was faking it because Brandon was standing right beside me.

"Good evening Mrs. Hawthorne," I greeted her, surprised at myself for not stuttering at all.

"Oh please dear, call me Evelyn," she said with a smile, one that seemed very genuine.

"Of course Mr- Evelyn," I corrected myself at the last minute as she gracefully sat. The man next to her didn't greet me but I did see her nudge him rather harshly. It looked as though Brandon's father and I would be the ones having a problem.

Dinner went past rather awkwardly and I managed to get through without spilling any liquids or choking on something like my usual clumsy self would always do. I was proud that I hadn't humiliated myself in front of his parents so far.

"Tell us about yourself dear," Evelyn suggested as she placed her hands on her lap and I followed suit. I cleared my throat.

"Uhh, my name is Ashley Hayes and I'm 24 years old. My parents died when I was 6 so I never got a chance to really bond with them. I stay in an apartment with my best friend Melanie Lanser. I work with Brandon here as his personal assistant," I said with one breath.

It was blatantly clear that his father didn't register what I said nor did he have the care to make me feel welcome at his home. All he did was eat his food and check his phone. Evelyn on the other hand seemed to be a genuinely kind human being, the total opposite of what I had been expecting. I was thankful that she was trying very hard to break the awkward silence that was floating in the room around us.

"That's sweet my Angel," Evelyn responded with a smile.

 All her actions so far had been genuine which shocked me. I had myself believing that they wouldn't like me. I mean his dad and I had no progress after I had tried to greet him and he ignored me like I had said nothing but Evelyn... she was so nice. Better than what I expected. I expected her to be snobby or something like that. It was a big surprise but I'm certain that I do like Brandon's mom.

We had finished dinner when Evelyn suggested that we move to the living room where we all sat and drank some tea. Brandon and his dad caught up on business matters whilst Evelyn and I discussed my past which she was interested in. When both conversations ended and awkward silence had begun to dawn upon us Evelyn broke it again. I guess she was very intuitive like me.

"I hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Richard and I will be heading to bed," Evelyn said and I nodded with a small smile.

Evelyn and Richard escorted us to the gate and hugged us goodbye. Richard and Brandon had some hushed conversation while Evelyn fawned over my dress and hair once more.