The Empress looked at me in such a despicable way that I almost wanted to yell. I wanted to yell at her. I wanted to scream and yell but I kept myself sane by rocking myself back and forth. 

        This was not what I wanted. We were all happy. We were all getting along. All of us. Guan Shu will not go down without a fight. Su Yin tried to hold my hand but I swiftly brushed her hand off and shook my head. I didn't want to watch this. The swirl of rage and fear was widening. Soon enough, it would engulf my flesh and bones.

        I should've been screaming and yelling at the Emperor.

        Why was I so timid? Why am I not talking? What has happened to me?

        "Great blessings to Your Majesty. Happiness and peace to the Empress." Guan Shu kowtowed before shakingly speaking once again. "Your Majesty, please! I wasn't involved in anything! Ask anyone, they'll believe me. I have served you for how many years? I've been loyal! I've stayed out of trouble!" 

         The Emperor paid no attention to her and gestured his eunuch to speak.

        "The last thing Rong Er ate was one rose-petaled pastry from his mother, Guan Shu. Please provide the details of the remains of the container!" the eunuch called out and soon, a physician bowed with the container in his hand.

        "The plate of the pastry... has poison remains. It is confirmed." The physician handed the container to the eunuch with two hands. "The confirmed result of Rong Er's death is that he has been poisoned."

        No.

        No, no, no.

        This cannot be happening.

         I hated watching from afar. Guan Shu's eyes widened, tears flowing out of her eyes immediately after the statement was announced. Rong Er was dead. But what was the relevancy? What was going on?

       Rong Er was dead. Guan Shu's son was dead. The child that I was going to protect if anything went wrong. I failed Guan Shu and I failed Rong Er. 

        "My Rong Er is dead!" Guan Shu shrieked. 

       The Emperor cocked an eyebrow. "You had no idea that your son is dead?"

       "This is great acting." The Empress shook her head in disappointment. "Clearly, Guan Shu is not in the mental state to function. It makes perfect sense as to why she could've murdered Imperial Noble Consort Yang, resulting in the death of her son as well."

        All of us. Su Yin, Hua Er, and I both looked at each other in dismay. The Empress was smart but insane. The fact that the Empress can stoop that low shows her dedication to her schemes. There is no reason she would have to go that far, there should be no reason. I felt like crying but nothing came out. It was like someone stabbed me in the chest. 

        Now, I was frightened. I wiped my clammy hands on my hanfu but there was a never-ending soak of sweat leaving my hands. I only talked to Rong Er several times. Guan Shu will never watch him grow up—will never see what Rong Er will be like when he reaches his teen years. 

        Rong Er would never have the life he wanted... because Rong Er was dead. 

        The words of the physician continued racing in my head. I couldn't believe this was what it came to. 

       My favourite maid's son was dead.

       And it might have been because of me.

        "Your Majesty." I angrily ran next to Guan Shu. I kneeled and bowed lousily. "The Empress is the one who made Madame Dong Mei's medicine in the morning! She has a motive to murder Madame Dong Mei, not Guan Shu!"