Seonghwa ✦ Seashells By The Seashore | Merman AU

Start from the beginning

You changed out of your pajamas and into some regular clothes, freshening up a little before slipping on your sandals and stepping onto the sandy, wooden steps of your house. You loved living at the beach, but the ground was mostly sand so you were constantly tracking it onto your porch and into your home which was bothersome. However, it was a small price to pay for living in paradise.
You slid on your sunglasses, shielding your eyes from the sun's harsh rays before crossing the street. There was a sidewalk lining the edge of the beach that you liked to walk along some days, feeling the sea breeze brushing past you and the sun warming your body.
As you walked along the concrete, you noticed a man sitting on a wooden crate, a beach towel laid out in front of him with various objects spread across it. You took a few steps closer, freezing when you realized the man looked vaguely familiar. An image of the strange merman from your dream flashed in your mind. You slapped a hand over your mouth to muffle the gasp that left your lips.
No way. There's no way.
You had to be dreaming, right? Surely you were dreaming. Reaching over, you gave yourself a harsh pinch on the arm.
Ouch.
No. This is definitely real.
But how?
He looked exactly like the man from your dream.
It's a coincidence. You told yourself.
He has legs, so of course it's not the same guy from your dream... but what if he can shift? No. Mermaids aren't even real.
But what if they are? A tiny voice in your head questioned.

You were far too engrossed in your own insane thoughts that you almost didn't realize you had caught the man's attention.
Great.
You quickly composed yourself as best as you could before calmly approaching the man, your eyes scanning over the array of items spread about the sandy beach towel, noticing quite a few sizable, unique-looking seashells and a few large sand dollars, not broken ones you would find walking on the beach, but full sand dollars.
"These seashells are gorgeous." You commented. "Where do you get them?"
The dark-haired male looked up at you, his eyes going wide and mouth slightly agape. He blinked a few times, visibly gathering himself before speaking.
"I dive for them every morning. I'm trying to sell them."
"Oh, really?"
"Mhm." He nodded.
"What's that?" You questioned, pointing to a small, pale-colored object.
"Oh! This is a really unique seashell I found on my walk up the beach. I've never seen anything like it."
You reached down and picked the object up off the towel, turning it around between your fingers.
"Sorry to disappoint you, but this is a pistachio shell."
"Pistachio?" He asked, his head tilting to the side like a confused puppy.
"It's a type of nut."
"Ah! Of course. I know what that is." He tittered awkwardly, his eyebrows knit together worriedly as he forced a painful smile.
Okay. There's definitely something off about this guy.

You tossed the pistachio shell aside and started observing the actual shells he had lined on the towel, your eyes glancing up at him, cursing yourself when you find that he was staring right at you.

He didn't seem like someone who would be set up on the sidewalk selling shells and sand dollars. His black hair was neatly swept to the side, his white button down shirt tucked neatly into a pair of jean shorts.
"Excuse me." He spoke up shyly.
"Yes?" You looked up at him, noticing his somewhat nervous demeanor, his fingers pulling at the end of his shirt sleeve.
"Would you maybe be interested in helping me sort through my finds of the day? You know, only pick out the good stuff and throw away the trash?"
You sucked in a deep breath, mulling over his request for a moment. It was an odd thing to ask, but it would be a good opportunity to observe him and see if he had any strange mannerisms that would give away his true identity, if he even is a merman, that is.
"Sure."
"Really? You'll do it?"
"Why not?" You shrugged.
"Thank you so much. I'm Seonghwa, by the way." He smiled warmly.
"I'm Y/n."
"A pretty name for a pretty girl." He commented.
You felt some warmth rush to your cheeks. It was hard not to be flattered. After all, it's not every day a stunningly handsome man compliments you.
"So, how long have you been set up here?"
"One week." He answered.
"Have you sold anything?"
"Actually I have. Though I don't think I'll sell enough to buy a house, but it's a start."
"You don't have a house?" You questioned.
"No. Not here at least."
Not here. Is he from out of town?
Or perhaps, he's not from land.
"So, you're not from here." You stated.
He nodded.
"How far do you live from here?"
"Not too far."
You hummed in response. "I assume you've been sitting out here for a while."
"I have."
"Have you eaten anything?"
He shook his head.
"How about I treat you to lunch." You offered.
His eyes widened, brown irises glimmering with happiness. "Okay. If you insist."
He got up and started pulling the beach towel up at the corners, making a pouch of some sort. He then flipped over the crate he was sitting on, a small tin box in the sand underneath. He dropped the towel filled with shells and such into the crate and put the tin box on top.
"I'll be back. I have to go hide this stuff." He lifted the wooden crate and started down the beach.
"Hey, wait." You called out to him before he could take another step. "I live across the street, you can set it inside my house until we get back from eating."
"Will it be safe there?"
"Of course. If anything, it's safer than you hiding it behind some rocks."
"Alright then. Thank you."
"Sure. Is that where you keep your money?" You gestured to the tin box sitting on top of the wadded beach towel.
He nodded.
"That's smart that you put it underneath the crate and then sit on it. That way no one can sneak up behind you and steal it."
"Thank you." He beamed at your praises. "I thought it was a smart idea too."